“Beautiful and different”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chapel Hill, NC
“Beautiful and different”
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Boy, did I like this property! The staff was great and the unique rooms reminded me of a boutique hotel. They even have an honor system for sodas, with a box to put your money in. There was also a computer, printer and chairs in the common area on each floor. The bed was very comfortable and there was a small fridge with two free water bottles in the room. The shower is huge. Parking spaces were tight since there was a wedding going on at the same time of our dental convention. Our hotel room window faced the wedding reception and we could see how beautiful the room was decorated for the event. We could not hear the music even though we could see the party going on from our window in the next building. I only had the buffet breakfast served in the conference's meeting room and it was delicious - with a menu including quiche. The Friendly Center mall is nearby. Our hotel rate was $169 for a Saturday night stay...pricey, but worth it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Reviewed 4 July 2010

The real story that I'd really like to find out is why the Proximity
swimming pool was clearly an after-thought, squeezed in
behind the tremendous asphalt parking lots and caverous
wasteful empty spaces within this austere, coldly decorated
boutique hotel.

I came to the area for a one night get-away Fourth of July
weekend. My planned itinerery was a day trip to Old Salem,
in neighboring city Winston-Salem (highly recomended as
a wonderful way to spend July 3rd or 4th) and seeing a play at
Greensboro's terrific Triad Stage.

All that I really wanted from this overpriced hotel was to sit
on a lounge chair for an hour by the pool before taking in the
play. Well - with a mere SIX tightly squeezed in chairs around
their tiny-tiny afterthought pool - there was certainly no chair for
me on my 24 hr. pricey 2010 holiday vacation.

So how did it happen that all these really smart rich people built
this over-the top hotel, but when it really came to making beautiful
useable outdoor spaces that guests can enjoy - there was no room left?

I should have read trip-advisor before going as a previously writer
noted just that:"If you want to sit in the sun by the pool this is not the
place for you." Another writer said the TV remote was impossible to
figure out...also true. Incredibly disappointing- so we left the hotel
early this morning....to arrive home in Charlotte to spend the 4th.

I have 3 lounge chairs at my home - where again this poorly
planned disappointing so-called "Green" hotel has 6 - for it's
more than 150 guest rooms! Pathetic. I won't be back...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank smiles50
Baldwinsville, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2010

My husband & I were in Greensboro for a recent wedding & chose the Proximity based on all that we had read about it on line.We were not disappointed.This is a wonderful Hotel from top to bottom.The staff is very personable,the decor very relaxing,and the Sunday brunch in the hotel restaurant is not to be missed.If you stay be sure to check out Channel 8 on the television.It tells all about the concept & building of this beautiful green hotel.We only wish Proximity woud expand to other cities across the U.S.A.Next time we are in the area,we will be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2010

The Proximity Hotel is a bit of a conundrum for me. Certain aspects of it have been done really well, but there were some niggles that spoiled the overall effect for me.

I arrived fairly late at the hotel. I received a warm welcome and check-in was handled efficiently. I mentioned that the airline had lost my luggage and that I was hoping it would be delivered overnight. They told me they would look out for it and have it sent up to my room when it arrived. Surprisingly - with the benefit of hindsight - they didn't offer me any toiletries to replace the ones in my delayed bag. So when I got to the room I had to call down for stuff like toothpaste, toothbrush etc.

The room itself was quite nice - reasonably spacious, tastefully decorated in neutral colours with some seating & a desk. Free internet was provided, both wired and wireless, throughout the hotel & restaurant.

A few minor gripes with the room - firstly there wasn't much hanging space. The wardrobe was large enough for my clothes but had my wife been with me we would really have struggled. Secondly, although the bathroom was a good size with a large shower and double sink, there was no hanging for towels - so once I'd unrolled a towel to use, it was going to stay wet. That seems strange for a hotel that is trying to reduce its environmental impact as it meant I used way more towels than would have been the case had I been able to hang them up.

The bed was pretty comfortable and the room was quiet so I had no trouble sleeping, although housekeeping did seem rather eager to clean the room in the morning - maybe I should have put the do not disturb sign out, but I do think it's a bit unreasonable to knock on the door before 9am on a Sunday morning, especially when the hotel was hosting the wedding I had attended the night before.

The hotel is served by an attached restaurant called The Printworks Bistro. I had breakfast there each morning and the quality was very good, with reasonable prices - no breakfast buffet, but most of the a la carte entrees were $10-$12 which is fine for a hotel of this class. With coffee, juice & tip this meant breakfast ran at something like $15-$20 per person. Service inside was very good, but for those who wished to sit outside on the terrace the waiters didn't seem to pass through very often, meaning a long wait to ask for a refill etc.

Which brings me to one of my main gripes about the hotel. The place has Platinum-level LEED certification meaning it has made a real effort to minimize its environmental impact - water conservation, energy from solar cells etc. So why do they feel they need to pollute the environment by filling every open space in the hotel with piped music? Even the outdoor spaces suffered from it - so you couldn't hear the birdsong sitting on the terrace at breakfast, because the music was so loud! The staff seemed to have little control over it, because on one occasion we asked for it to be turned down, to no avail. I wandered the hotel on one day looking for any spot where I could sit and read a book in silence - the only place is the smoking area in the carpark. Apparently smokers don't deserve piped music. This really spoiled it for me, and when I mentioned it to the friends I was travelling with they were generally in agreement that it was unneccessary and spoiled the enjoyment of being outdoors. I ended up spending a lot more time in my room than I would have liked, simply to get away from the musak. This one factor would be sufficient to ensure I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

There is a little pool which was a nice temperature but was again spoiled by the piped music. Supposedly there was a pool menu but in all the time I spent there I never saw any staff offering to take orders.

So, back to the subject of my luggage. When I checked with reception the following morning I was assured that it had still not arrived, so I logged into the airline's website and tracked it - which confirmed that it had indeed been delivered to the hotel. So I went back to reception with this information and they had another look (probably actually the first look) and indeed, there it was. So much for having it sent straight up to my room when it arrived.

It's all these little things that make the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel. I feel bad being critical, because the hotel was the venue for my friends' wedding and it was a lovely day. But from a purely subjective viewpoint I'd call this hotel a near-miss in the sense that it was pretty good, and many guests probably wouldn't even notice the things that annoyed me.

Just to finish off, check-out was almost seamless. A group of us had booked a van from the hotel to take us to the airport. We asked the front desk to get all our luggage loaded into the van - and gave them the luggage tickets. On past experience I have found that it is a good idea when this process is complete to check that all the bags are there - and on this occasion, they were not. Which is just silly. It would have been very upsetting to get the airport and discover some of the bags were missing.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Russell N
Charlottesville
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Arriving at the Proximity Hotel was like arriving at an oasis in a city. Extremely friendly staff, beautiful modern design, and extremely comfortable rooms. The outdoor dining experience at The Print Works Bistro was excellent. Terrific spot for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Just got back from a roughly 12 hr stay at the Proximity! Loved it and wished I had more than one evening and night to check out all the spaces and amenities. Things I loved: beautiful room the size of my NY studio apartment, large bathroom w/ double sinks (tho water wasn't always as hot as desired--darn solar panels :), lovely lounge spaces throughout the hotel & grounds, the Print Works Bistro where I had dinner w/a friend, easy computer access, free shuttle service to the airport, friendly staff... don't imagine I'll have frequent opportunity to visit Greensboro, but if I do, I know where I'm staying!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
nyc
Reviewed 22 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Proximity for one night, in the midst of a manic bbq swing through the region. We had been very discouraged by most of the hotels we'd found online: everything was really froufrou or really corporate-looking. We were desperately in search of something modern, comfortable, well-maintained and quiet. Given our bbq m.o., a gym was a must; decent food (and not just southern fare but fresh fruits and veggies) a definite plus. When I found Proximity on TA, I honestly thought it was too good to be true, given the rates offered. I was nervous as we pulled up (and the hotel's location on the edge of an office park off the highway didn't much alleviate that feeling).

But inside: surprise! Proximity was pretty much exactly what it promised. The place was really well-designed, both in the public areas and in the rooms themselves; the staff were friendly and professional (it wasn't the kind of service you'd find at really really upscale joints, but it was straightforward, efficient, and served up with a smile and goodwill); room service was quick and easy to deal with (without any of the formal rigamarol of some more upscale places); the food was fresh and good. The gym was very basic, but it was open 24 hrs. Our room was enormous, outfitted with lots of plugs for electricals, a well-located flat-screen tv, a long low sofa and a desk and chair set-up as well as a comfy bed. The bathroom was big. It was a bit stark-looking and low on towels, and I was surprised to see that toiletries came in individual containers (not so terribly green for a LEEDS-cert joint) but the shower was a good one. In the morning, we had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, which is bright and sunny in the daytime, a lovely well-designed space with a really good menu and friendly service. And everything, everywhere, was spotless.

We've had the good fortune of staying in some very very nice hotels, and I am extremely picky. It's not luxurious in the 800-thread-count sense, but for its pricepoint (and its location!), the Proximity is a huge bargain and a serious find. We felt absolutely, completely comfortable and very well taken-care of.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple