“Delicious Downtown Diner”
Review of Fincastle Restaurant - CLOSED

Fincastle Restaurant
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stopped in at Fincastle Restaurant for an early dinner (4:15pm) mid week while making college visits in the area. The restaurant is located in downtown Greensboro, NC. We easily found a parking spot street side a few doors down from the restaurant. Lots of cute eclectic shops and eateries are nearby. Upon entering the establishment we were greeted by the owners mother and a jovial staff. The restaurant is reminiscent of an old fashioned diner. It is a long, skinny property with tables on the left side and the right side is counter service with an open kitchen/grill. When the waiter approached our table he asked if it was our first visit, we said yes and he said "well, that means you need a song to start off." He broke out into "My Girl." Before long, our entire table was singing along with him. After that, we ordered our food.

Immediately we began our meal with an appetizer of fried crawfish tails with a delicious homemade sauce. We quickly devoured the basket. My son ordered the Joel Burger with classic fries (2 patties, pimento cheese, grilled onions, fincastle sauce, lettuce, & tomato on grilled sourdough) and ate every morsel of it. My daughter ordered a plain Cheese Burger with classic fries and declared it one of her favorite burgers ever. Both burgers were cooked to order and were juicy. I chose to order the fried oyster po-boy. Growing up in the deep south, I thought this might be a risky choice but oysters sounded so good to this landlocked midwesterners. The po-boy arrived open and overflowing with tiny succulent hand-breaded oysters. The soft, flavorful bread, shredded lettuce, sauce and oysters were just perfect. I can honestly say, this is the best oyster po-boy I have ever had. Sorry New Orleans, I will be going back to Fincastles to fill my future cravings.
The restaurant also has an ice-cream counter. There was no way that we could leave without trying at least something from the counter. Since we were all full from our dinner, e decided that a vanilla shake for the road was something that we could all at least just get a sample of and share. After tasting the shake, we all felt remorse that we hadn't ordered our own personal shake for the road. Overall an absolutely wonderful meal, phenomenal service and a fabulous atmosphere. Highly recommend stopping in for a meal. You will be glad that you did.

1  Thank HWJ2012
joseph m, Manager at Fincastle Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thank you for a great review! We really do appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

The food was worth the wait, but the service was slow and I spied the server handling my food the the food of others with her hands. She literally evened out the fries between plates using her bare hands.

Thanks for the feedback. We will work on improving our customer service.

Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

This was my first time here since 2006, and it was every bit as good as before. My family had never been and they were very impressed. Their kitchen isn't very big, so be patient as you wait for your food.

joseph m, Owner at Fincastle Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thanks for your review. We appreciate all feedback from our customers.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

this is like a diner and plays the music to boot. They have outstanding hamburgers and fried pickels to die for! Very casual but very good.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Cute little burger joint in downtown that has a great selection of food to choose from. During lunch rush the service can be a bit slower, but I've never felt unpleasant while waiting. Nice enough staff, especially the cook who sings as he is making orders.

I would recommend the burgers- they're GREAT.