“A harrowing experience...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pune
“A harrowing experience...”
Reviewed 17 June 2010

It was a disappointing experience at this Marriot adjacent to the GSO airport. The Hotel had a lack of freshness and vibrancy - and appeared mundane in just about every facility that it offered.

The breakfast spread was average, and the service was merely lip. The restaurant can make you wait for ages before they take an order and deliver.. But the agony that they putme through at my check-out has been the most harrowing experience in my life thus far...
On the afternoon prior to my departure, I had requested the Reception staff if they could arrange for a cab at 3am next morning to enable me to reach the rail station on time catch the train . Well, the hotel took my request and confirmed the arrangement for a cab (at 3am) to drop me at the Greensboro rail station. When I cross-checked with the hotel reception again later in the evening, they once again confirmed that the arrangement has been made.

However, after checking out at 3am , there was no cab at the hotel for me !! The reception personnel (on duty at that time) was not even aware that a cab was requisitioned and confirmed for me earlier the previous evening by the reception personnel at that point of time !!

When I insisted that the arrangement was confirmed by the Hotel reception, they checked their records and did find details of the booking. Only then did they call the cab agency/person, who regretted that they will not be able to send a car !! You can imagine my plight .The Reception then got in touch with another Agency, and the new cab person came after 40 agonizing minutes. Result- I missed my train...and it ruined my subseqent plans.

I at least expected the Marriot to depute their own car to drop me at the station in this contingency - but, they did not even offer the option !! Even as the Marriot vehicle was parked in the foyer all this while.

If only the Marriot staff had confirmed with the cab agency at 2am (or earlier) about the availability of the car, this problem would not have arisen. But then, the reception personnel were not even aware that a booking exists for a car at 3am.

To add insult to injury - not only has Marriot been insensitive to my travails at that time, it has chosen to remain conveniently silent even after I narrated this experience in an online survey requested by JW Marriot Jr himself, Chairman & CEO.

Three months have elapsed since my response and there is not even an expression of regret from Marriot !! Its all lip-service as they say...

I have consciously avoided the Marriot ever since.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 28 May 2010

If you're traveling and need a place that's as close as you can get to PTI airport without sleeping in the concourse, this hotel really is it. From the moment I walked into the lobby to the time I checked-out, there is a steady stream of travelers. The lobby didn't seem to stay empty except during the late, late hours in the evening.

The parking lot is has plenty of space. If you're entering the property from Bryan Blvd, you'll need to drive around the building to get to the front. Don't get mislead by the service parking area.

Most of the room had been updated/renovated - LG flat screen tv, pillowtop bed, granite countertop in bathroom, and modern lamps and furniture. The bedroom was clean and comfortable--large enough to fit a king-size bed, love seat, nightstands, desk, and bureau. The bathroom was rather small, but that's to be expected for most hotels. I was surprised that they didn't offer wi-fi in the rooms, only in public places (free). Instead you had to pay $12.95 for ethernet access. Also, I think they forgot to update the shower/bathtub when renovating. It needed grouting and a facelift from the last decade. Water pressure was decent, but I had to turn the knob completely to hot to get warm water. The bathrooms have Bath and Body Works products. The walls are pretty thin, so I could hear a lot of the conversation in the next room. I could also hear people walking in the hallway late in the evening.

I was surprised at how strict they were about check-out time. I requested late check-out at 1pm instead of Noon. Most times when I've done this, the front desk is accomodating. Beware...even as a Marriott Rewards member, they will threaten you with a half-day charge if you are even a minute late. I thought when I called and requested this that the person was joking. I later asked another front desk associate and got the same response. The lobby can be crowded with throngs of people checking-in or out, so make sure you're in line and checked-out before they charge you for a half day. Seriously, even one minute will cost you.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank furmanjenny
winchester ma
Reviewed 12 May 2010

This hotel is the best....the service is great and the food is the most delicious in the restaurant, especially the breakfast and the French Onion Soup...best I ever had. The rooms are absolutely immaculate and the staff is great..My one concern is that the TV cable does not work right for the major stations...comes in tiling and blurry or not at all..I believe they are working on it...hope so because that was the only drawback. Have been there several times and am going back in Sept. The great part to is that even though it is in the airport you would never know it...it is quiet and surrounded by tall trees....truly a great place.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 September 2009

During our visit to NC, we had to travel in several different directions over three days, so we chose this hotel as a central base. We were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very well maintained and is very clean.

Rooms were well-appointed. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and were surprised at the low prices....although we found prices in NC were generally much lower than in metropolitan Philadelphia.

All in all, this is an excellent choice for an airport hotel.

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YoPhilly
Verona, NJ
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I was in Greensboro for a business convention at the Coliseum. 2 night stay booked through hotels.com. For some reason the front desk could not find our reservation. It took them about 15 minutes to figure it out but for the inconvenience offer us free buffet breakfast passes for 2 for BOTH days. The breakfast was awesome btw! Waffles and Omelets made to order and then a good size spread of other hot foods (eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes..) Cereals, Pastries, Bagels, Yogurt, Etc... you get the idea. The hotel and room were very clean and modern. The bed was very comfortable, nice flat screen tv. Overall very impressed. It can be a little tricky finding the hotel if it's your first time or you are driving at night. Just follow the signs for PTI Airport and then you will see the 2nd blue sign to make a left into the hotel area.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank tommatas3
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 September 2009

This Marriott is a great hotel and we would stay there in the future. The location was a little hard to find from the main highway (mainly due to our GPS not recognizing the road), but if you head to the airport, you will find it. It is actually on airport property. I don't know if that airport has minimal air traffic or not, but we didn't hear one plane during our stay.

Check in was a breeze and the staff was very accomodating. Even when I called at 11:30pm to find out who would deliver to the hotel, they researched and gave me the number for two pizza places that delivered to us at that late hour. The beds were extremely comfortable with lots of pillows and the requests I placed online prior to our stay were fulfilled. Everything was very clean and the room was spacious enough. We had a room on the 6th and top floor and had a nice view of the wooded area and pool. Also, the breakfast buffet was very nice and tasted great! The fitness center was a very good size for a hotel gym and was empty when we went in there. The ellipticals even had their own individual TV's on them.

Overall, for the price we paid and the comfortable and accomodating services, this hotel is top notch. We were not in the area to catch a flight, but was glad we drove a little out of the main city to stay here and we would do it again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tkg04d
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Nice Hotel. Very Very friendly staff. Quiet. 5 minutes from airport.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business