“Quaint Old Historic Inn” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Biltmore Greensboro
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Quaint Old Historic Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed in the King room and it had about 15' high ceiling and wood floor entrance into the room. Bathroom was small but remodeled. Loved the old, brass gated elevator(you don't see them like this anymore). The hotel was within walking distance to many local restaurants, bars, clubs and theaters. Parking deck is right across the street from the hotel. I did not partake in the wine & cheese, nor the breakfast, other than coffee. Coffee cups are very small. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
biltmoregreensboro, General Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your kind words and we are very happy that you enjoyed you stay. We look forward to seeing you again when you're in the area. 111 years i promise we will be here when you return.

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

After reading several reviews of this property, I had a few trepidations about making a reservation, which I ended up doing, as I wanted to be right downtown near the restaurants and bars. I must tell you that I was pleasantly surprised. The old character of the Inn was what I would have expected. The room was perfect for me as I was travelling alone. Continental breakfast was decent. The Inn is located 1 block from all of the restaurants and I had no trouble walking around later at night just to people watch. I also had a room that was pet-free, which is what I prefer when travelling. Linens, towels, bathroom, bed, ambiance, were all there. Just remember - it is a very old Inn

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jimrolquin
biltmoregreensboro, General Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for giving us the oppurtunity to make you stay in Greensboro enjoyable. thank you also for your kind words and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again on your next adventure to Greensboro.

Best Regards,
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in the Canopy King room. The room was large with a huge canopy bed. The hotel has a lovely period-style lobby where wine and cheese is served in the evening (excellent wine!). There is a separate modern dining area for breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful and were happy to give us advice on where to go for dinner and drinks.
There is free parking in the garage opposite the hotel.
The hotel is really near to some good bars and restaurants on Elm Street and is about 5 minutes walk from the excellent civil rights museum.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
biltmoregreensboro, General Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words and thank you for staying with us. We are so very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again on your next trip to Greensboro.
Best Regards,
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was looking for a place close the ballpark and decided to stay at the Biltmore Greensboro. It is a small hotel tucked into a row of businesses and is nondescript façade can make it hard to find if you are not paying attention. Parking is provided in the garage across the street, but you can stop out front of the hotel as you check-in. You encounter the hotel's unique atmosphere the second you enter the front door. They've done a nice job in keeping everything simple, but elegant. The receptionist provided the key to my room on the third floor and identified the details of the hotel during my stay.

The elevator was old-fashioned and a surprise to see these days. You first open the door once the elevator arrives and then slide the metal gate open to enter. Be careful as both close on their own and can be difficult if you have a lot of luggage. Even though it is old, the elevator was still as quick, if not more, than modern elevators. The hotel has only three floors so you will not have to wait long. There was one staircase that I noticed that you enter next to the main door and continues straight up to the top. Make sure to watch your step if you are on the top floor as you are immediately going down the first step when you open the door.

The room had some character while still providing all of the modern comforts we have come to expect. The king bed was centered along the back wall of the room flanked by two nightstands with their own light. The dresser was located against the other wall and also housed the flat-screen television. The dresser however didn't look to be too useful, at least the top shelf. It was divided into several compartments big enough for just underwear and socks. Along the side of the room was the small work desk. The bathroom had a large sink and a dual shower and bathtub. There were directions on how to turn on the water which I found amusing. If you take a shower, be careful as the tub can get slippery.

They served red and white wine with cheese in the lobby each evening from 1800 to 1900. I was surprised to see that I was the only one taking advantage of it that evening with everyone else just going out to smoke or go elsewhere. In the morning there is a continental breakfast, while not much, is better than nothing. Breakfast was served from 0600 to 1000. There are also several restaurants in the area where you can get a bite to eat for lunch or dinner.

As mentioned before, parking is provided across the street in the public garage. It looked like parking was free on the weekends, but they will validate your ticket when it is not so you don't have to pay. This is nice as it allows you to explore the area without having to worry about the additional cost. If you do have to pay the $2 charge when entering the hotel will reimburse you. The garage itself was large so you shouldn't have a hard time finding a spot at anytime.

The only problem during my stay, as other posts mention, was outside noise at all times during the night. It seemed that all of the drunks believe that it is expected to make as much noise as they can when leaving the bars and go right past the hotel. I was awoken by them at 0230 and the noise lasted until 0330. The garbage truck came by at 0615 on a Sunday morning which acted as an alarm clock. If you are a light sleeper, like I am, you will find it hard to sleep. Due to this I likely would not stay here again over the weekend until they better soundproof the property. The noise is not the fault of the hotel and doesn't detract from the overall experience of the property.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Biltmore Greensboro. While at $140 a night is not cheap, it is on par for downtown and provided unique touches that you would not find at major hotels. They even provided a Sunday paper outside my door. If you are looking for a place to stay in Greensboro for a night, I would consider the Biltmore.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
biltmoregreensboro, General Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We to find issue with the noise that is casued by the traffic downtown on the weekends. We are also in the process of having the windows replaced to hopefully combat the extra noise, but given the historical nature of the property it is proving to be more that just replacing them. We look forward to your return visit and as always we are glad to hear that our guests fill at home.

New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

very welcoming, personable, non "cookie cutter." The staff was very accommodating, relaxed and professional...made me feel extremely welcomed. I would certainly stay again on a future visit to Greensboro.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your king words and we are very happy that you enojoyed your stay with us. It is always a joy to get feed abck from our quests. Hope to see you again soon.

Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was in the area attending a dog event in Burlington but I could not find any decent hotels that would allow my three dogs. I was relieved to find this place when I was scrambling for a reservation!

This hotel is located in downtown Greensboro, which is good and bad depending on what you're looking for. There are lots of places to eat and drink in the area which was nice for sure (a few shopping spots too I believe, but I didn't have much time to explore of I'm honest). Being downtown also means not a lot of green space to talk a dog, but there is a park less than a mile away and some grassy areas near the parking deck. Yes, parking is mostly just in the deck across the street which is a bit of a hassle, but given the location right downtown I thought it was fine. The paths were all well-lit and I didn't feel particularly unsafe. Seems like a cute city actually, but with being downtown the room also incurs some noise problems on the weekend it seems.

One special note about the location though: It turns out, this hotel is part of some kind of Ghost Tour. Unfortunately we really needed to get to sleep early, and around 9:30-10pm there was a very loud group of tourists gathered in the alley right under our window (we were on the 3rd floor). Thank goodness it seemed to be the end-point of the tour as they left after about 20minutes, but it was definitely frustrating. Since I mainly got a hotel so I could wake up early the next day with a decent night's sleep, this sort of negated the whole purpose. There were tours both Friday and Saturday night around the same time, but thankfully Saturday night's tour guide wasn't quite as obnoxious.

For the record, my husband and I (nor the 3 dogs we had with us... all of which did not incur any special pet fees by the way!) didn't notice anything spooky or strange while we were there in the least. I had to say it!

Now, for the room itself! The whole hotel is actually very cozy and beautiful, but I would agree with what others have said that it is a bit worn out and run down. That being said, I actually loved it. So many hotels nowadays are "renovated" with cheap particle-board crap... not so here! Everything might be old, but it all feels SOLID. There are some small cosmetic issues here and there (no cover on the light in the bathroom, pieces missing/cracked/rusted on the sink, broken slat on the shutters, etc.), but it was all very minor in my opinion. Everything was in working order as far as I could tell, and everything was very clean. Plus, the bed was EXCELLENT with awesome pillows!

There was a nice little breakfast included too which was a nice surprise. The even nicer surprise was the young man working the late night Sat/early morning Sunday shift who actually set up breakfast ahead of schedule! I didn't think I would have time to grab anything to eat on my way out on Sunday as the breakfast is supposed to start a bit later.

To me, the most important parts of a hotel room are: cleanliness, bed/sleep quality, and working fixtures (and allowing my dogs to stay!) I really commend the hotel owners for keeping their priorities in line while they are clearly making some updates on what is clearly a historic property. If I was planning to hang out in downtown Greensboro, I'd certainly stop by again.

Room Tip: I have to imagine the higher floors would be further away from the tour groups at least, but I was o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
biltmoregreensboro, General Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I have addressed the issues that you stated with our Maintainence Mananger and those are being taking care of. The noise is an issue sometimes, but as soon as we get the permission to change the windows that will be less of an issue. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Greensboro. Best wishes until then.

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Finding myself without power I pondered what to do. I'm a local who has walked by the biltmore hotel many times, always commenting "what a neat place; i'd love to stay sometime." Most of the "chain" hotels were booked so I thought i'd give it a try. The owners were so helpful and accomodating, I even got to bring my cat with me so she wouldn't have to stay home in the 51 degree house. Parking is in a deck immediately across the street, complimentary. I booked a canopy king room which was wonderful, clean, and packed with charm and history. The toiletries in the room were very helpful, a dental care kit, a shaving kit, shampoo, lotion, soap, a sewing kit, etc. The only noise I heard was a few creaks from up above here and there, what's to expect in a historic property. The property was very well kept, the historic elevator was a nice touch, the wine reception and the breakfast were excellent in my opinion. Please PLEASE don't believe the bad reviews of this charming hotel. If you want brand new, go find another place for 300 bucks a night. I cannot stand when someone posts a negative review of a hotel because its older, say it with me folks H-I-S-T-O-R-I-C. Two thumbs up and five star rating from me. I plan to return sometime just to have a "night-away-from-home"

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Aoconnor814
biltmoregreensboro, General Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We love to have locals stay with us. Thanks again and hope to see you soon...but under different circumstances.