“Amazing Adventure”

Sanctuary Swala
canada
“Amazing Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

The trip of a lifetime! I absolutely loved my tent and my plentiful visitors- playful monkeys on the roof, deck, and roaming the outdoor shower. To awaken in the mornings hearing the cacophony of birds and watching the impressive display of impalas, dik diks, and elephants roaming by was magical. My last night I awoke to the roar of a lion in the camp, definitely a first for me.

Chris and Mina's infectious laughter was memorable. They were very helpful and gracious hosts. The staff were kind, gentle and I enjoyed our daily conversations--and the dancing. The food was delicious.

Richard, my guide and driver was very knowledgeable and the game drives were incredible. To be immersed in nature was an unforgettable experience. Silae Swamp is one of the most incredible places on earth! I would return in a heartbeat. Swala, thanks for the lifetime of memories.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Czech first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

A truly stunning place to stay. The "tents" are bright, comfortable and clean. The staff could not be more helpful and welcoming. The crowning glory is the cavalcade of animals which cruise through the camp, day and night. I was laid low for a day by the usual holiday problems but missed out on nothing. From the veranda of our tent I watched Elephant, Impala, Zebra, Warthogs, Water Buck, and Kudu coming and going. Monkeys and mongoose played amongst the fallen trees and rocks as the storks roosted in the trees and flocks of guinea fowl rushed by. The only criticism would be the food; it was ordinary at best and needs serious rethinking. But overall the experience was remarkable.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I almost paid around $7,500 for 2 nights at the Ngorongrono Crater Lodge. But I started to get frustrated that they were charging me -- in addition to the $3100/per night -- $75 to meet me at the Arusha airport to give me my tickets, $200 to drive me from each way from the remote airport to the lodge (as if taxis were an alternative option), and a per person "park fee" that exceeded what the park charges. Fleece the rich idiots who don't mind getting no value for their money. Everyone else go to Sanctuary Swala instead. Even after losing my exorbitant deposit, I saved thousands by going to Swala instead and still had a top notch, luxurious safari that felt far more intimate and personalized. I received a phone call shortly after checking into my hotel in Arusha to see if I needed anything. How they knew I arrived, I have no idea. It was only me and my husband in the safari jeep. We had a night safari and a walking safari. Monkeys played on my tent porch, while elephants and impalas ate within touching distance of my tent and zebras lingered 100 meters in the distance next to wart hogs. The bed, bathroom, towels, and bathroom toiletries were just as luxurious as any 5-star western hotel. The absolute nicest camp managers. First-class service from the staff. A booking agent who went out of her way to be helpful regardless of how atypical the request. Incredibly delicious food. The most thoughtful box lunch for the flight back to Arusha. Lovely souvenirs in the gift shop from local craftsmen. I don't understand why you wouldn't add this hidden gem to your itinerary and opt for the crowds of the crater instead. I could write a novel on why this place is a better choice than any other camp/lodge/hotel in any other park.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

First, this was the first time I had been to a place like this. Completely out of this world, in the middle of a jungle surrounded by nature, animals and amazing staff members. Having said that, it is not an extra luxurious place. They try their best to comfort you but this is not your typical four seasons type of a stay. The lodge is very much into preserving nature and the facility is completely off the grid. And as a result, the experience is a comfortable luxury tent/camping experience. If you are into this stuff, you will LOVE this place.

One thing that could be improved is the food quality. I know they tried hard but the food was below par. I am hoping that this was a one off thing.

Chris was the hotel manager and he and his staff were amazing. Chris was probably the most welcoming hotel manager I have ever met in my 25+ years of hoteling around the globe. Our guide (Dominique) was absolutely great.

I highly recommend this place knowing well that there are compromises in ultra luxury and comfort in order to preserve the nature.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
SanctuaryRetreats_2, Manager at Sanctuary Swala, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Aasim,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for your kind comments.

We are sorry to hear you felt the food was below par, we have addressed this with the team and will be looking into this.

We appreciate the recommendation and we do hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Please keep up to date up with the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Swala by liking us on Facebook. Just search for ‘Sanctuary Retreats’.

gainesville FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at Sanctuary Swala in July 2013. It was fantastic! The tent was clean and luxurious, with hot shower, flush toilet and an electrical outlet in the tent for recharging our camera batteries. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, without being overbearing. The food was excellent. We heard lions roaring during the night not far from our tent, and the lions came to the camp pool during the night to drink. Outstanding place that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Baldwiii
berkshire, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and I and our two teenage kids stayed at the Swala camp in July. We loved the camp so much, the setting was perfect. All the staff were so friendly and very helpful, the managers were amazing and made you feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble, loved the hot water bottles in our beds! The tents were lovely and very cosy. We loved sitting by the camp fire in the evening before dinner having a drink and chatting to the other guests. The food was very good, 5* hotel standard. We got to see all the animals in the park, very good! We all loved the camp so much, Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kay c
SanctuaryRetreats_2, Manager at Sanctuary Swala, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Kay,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience of Sanctuary Swala on Tripadvisor.

We are so happy you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that you loved our camp. We shared your feedback with the team and they absolutely loved hosting you and do hope to welcome you and your family back on day soon..

Thanks once again and please follow all the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Swala by liking us on Facebook. Just search for ‘Sanctuary Retreats’

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

This is luxury.....thanks to Abercrombie & Kent Safari's we were able to stay at this tented camp. The management has thought of everything to make guests happy and contented. The couple who manage the camp were always present, making sure things ran smoothly. They were absolutely charming and so knowledgable.

Our tent was amazing with indoor and outdoor showers. We were lucky enough to be away from the main buildings. We heard sounds of the wild animals all night long. Truly a memorable experience. Only disappointment, no lion sitting on our deck in the morning....

The Askari escorted us to and from the main buildings in the evening. We signaled them by waving our flashlights. Another unique experience.

Breakfast and dinner were outstanding.

What a highlight to our safari experience.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Meade66
SanctuaryRetreats_2, Manager at Sanctuary Swala, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Guest,

WOW what a review thank you so much!

We are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and that is was truly a memorable experience.

Thank you for your kind comments I have shared your feedback with Garth, Liz (our camp managers) and the rest of the team who absolutely loved hosting you and hope to have the honour of welcoming you back one day.

You can follow all the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Sussi and Chuma by liking us on Facebook. Just search for ‘Sanctuary Retreats’