“What EveryOne Else Says is So True!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tarangire National Park
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“What EveryOne Else Says is So True!”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Read up on this gem of a tented camp and you'll often see, "Location, location, location!" Only a fairly short drive from the Main Gate, the camp is situated in a prime location above the river in the northern end of the reserve. The panoramic view from the camp is breathtaking (see photos of view, one from terrace (chairs) and one from my tent). The tents are comfortable, but the bonus is the wildlife that will be strutting their stuff nearby. Nothing quite as cute as like looking out your tent door flap early in the morning and staring into the doe-eyes of a dikdik.

Nothing reflects more positively on a camp's feel than the service rendered. I was lucky enough to have Elise as a server in the dining area. I was traveling solo and seeing her radiant smile at each meal brightened my spirits. Further, Annette, the owner, upon hearing from her friend that I was interested in photographing owls, escorted me herself to a tree where a resident African Scops Owl was resting. It's these acts of kindness that remain forever in your memory, making the thoughts of the safari all the more sweet.

No question, the Tarangire Safari Lodge is one of the best values I've come across in my African journeys.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank steveb108
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 28 October 2012
Hello Steve108,
Thank you for the wonderful 5 * review! = )
I'm happy for your positive time here and that you enjoyed your experience!
You also came at such a great time of the year - when wildlife abounds around the lodge and throughout the park.

A warm welcome back again!
"Asante sana"

A. Simonson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Czech first
Bristol
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on our safari with Swala Safaris. As there were 3 of us we stayed in a bungalow and it was great. It had a huge bathroom and a lovely terrace outside the room with a great view. The food was good - especially the cakes - by far the best we have had in Africa. We actually preferred the buffet lunches to the served dinners. Whilst most of the staff were very friendly we did seem to draw the short straw when it came to our waitress who didn't seem to smile much and was shall we say " a little abrupt". The large terrace in front of the bar does have an "Awesome view" and is great place to sit with a drink as the sun goes down. The lodge was also very well located within the park for game drives. We would definately return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ShepofBristol
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Jambo ShepofBristol,
Thank you for your review!
I always appreciate it - even when criticism is included.
Can you remember your waitresses name or a description? We do expect friendly service for All of our guests.
Great you enjoyed your accommodation, meals and location.
A warm welcome indeed for another visit.

Asante sana.
A. Simonson
Oak Park, California
Reviewed 19 October 2012

There were 17 of us (mostly spoiled women from the US) on this adventure and we were delighted with the accommodations at Tanangire Safari Lodge. I had been very apprehensive about all this tent stuff but my fears were assuaged as soon as I saw the tile shower and flush toilet! ;-) Our tents were in a beautiful location overlooking the huge valley floor below and the river. The sounds at night were amazing - I really thought an elephant was giving birth one night! The food was really good and Esther, our waitress, couldn't have been more charming! What a smile. The charging station at the bar is so fun... any and every possible electronic gadget can be found there! The park itself is full of elephants and zebra -- 2 of my favorites! We saw tons of other animals and birds and of course the iconic baobab trees! If we didn't have lots more to see, I would have loved a 3rd night here.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a tent facing the valley and river!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LauraJ48
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Hi LauraJ48!

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review!! Much appreciated!!
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us! :) & saw lots of animals!!
This time of year in Tarangire is truly magic, great that you got to experience it!! :)
Welcome again/Karibu Tena!!! Next time for 3 nights :)

Warm Regards,

S. Simonson
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed 2 nights in TSL and enjoyed them both.
The location is superb, right in the middle of the park and view was amazing. Free snacks are served before dinner on the lovely terrace and the staff and place are very nice. Tea and coffee are also complimentary.

Our tent was large and comfortable with a toilet and a shower which could easily be found in a regular hotel (much fancier than we expected).

It's a great place to relax in while visiting the park.

We stayed in tent 22 which is last one. It has a great view but is quite far away. It might be THE tent to book in wet season (as it faces the river) but doesn't seem to be a necessity in dry season.

Room Tip: We stayed in tent 22 which is last one. It has a great view but is quite far away. It might be THE t...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank he_who_is_he
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Hello he_how_is_he
Thank you so much for your review and sharing your experience.
And that you enjoyed both nights!

Regrets that you felt the last tent was too far. We would have been happy
to move you closer. Next time! Welcome back again - in the wet season?

I hope you enjoyed your safari!

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

No secret that this has to be one of my favourites. I first visited in 1993 and just keep going back for more. This time it was even better. Accommodation seems to have been refurbished since 2010 or maybe not. It is just so timeless there. Neat Tents on platforms with twin or double beds. Roomy dressing area with hand sink between Bed and Bathrooms. Separate Shower and WC areas in Bathroom. Then step outside and take in that view. I had 500 Wildebeeste drinking below one afternoon. 50 Ellies another time and plentiful Giraffe and Zebra. A Lioness with three cubs both days, seeking a meal. Given the right times I don't think I would bother with a Game drive. Just sit outside the tent with a cold one. Maybe when I am older I will do just that. Dining has improved in that they don't for Buffet for the evening meal so it is waiter service from a choice of dishes. Breakfast is buffet but with Fresh cooked Eggs to order. Coffee in separate comfortable lounge or sit outside on the large patio.

Thats the admin taken care of. My Tent got frequent visits from Dik dik, Waterbuck and Impala.
I woke one night with ominous bangs on the roof. Raiders? Nope just a Bull Elephant after the thatch. At four in the morning he had to go to I moved him next door to the empty Tent..
He was back at breakfast and made me late.
Last evening two Lions took up Honeymoon stations right outside my tent. I was wanting to go to dinner but not wishing to BE dinner I had to ask them to leave too. They did after a grunt or two.
Birds around were everything you could wish for. Eagles and other Raptors surfed the up currents from the cliff and the trees held all sorts of smaller chaps.
I bet you can tell why I like this place and keep coming back. and back.

Room Tip: Any to the right of the Dining block. The higher the number the better.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank mfuwe
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Hello Mfuwe!
Thank you for another wonderful review! = )
Great that you enjoyed the birds & wildlife so close by.
The rains haven't begun here yet so we are still enjoying the flurry & activity around here.

"Karibu tena"!!

White Plains, NY
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This lodge was our last on a 12 day safari, having stayed primarily at Serena facilities, including the Kirawira camp in the Western Serengeti. When we checked in, we were met by the owner who introduced us to all the facilities, the "refreshing" unheated pool, and the lovely dining room. The tents give a great view over the park, but are a bit spartan. There is electricity only during morning and evening hours, and the showers are solar heated so you need to wake up at least an hour after sunrise to get a hot shower. There seemed to be an attendant always outside near our tent, so we were able to get everything we needed. Although the meals were not a lavish buffet, the food was very good and well prepared. The dinner was actually tastier than many of the meals we had in other facilities. (By the way, wherever you go, avoid meat dishes. They are generally tough. Chicken and fish are much better.)

The Tarangire park is often just a pass through on many tours, but it was really a great microcosm of what you have seen or will see on your safari. All the animals are there, and elepahants in great abundance. We finally got to see a cheetah and her cub. The wildebeast don't migrate so they are out in force with the zebras, warthogs, antelopes, buffalo and gazelles. Fair share of giraffes as well.

This is definitely a place to stay if you are starting from Arusha or if you are ending near Arusha and want a recap of your trip.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blocklaw
Hello Blocklaw,
Thank you for reviewing our lodge & for recommending it! = )

You are right about the early morning showers.
Throughout the day, the solar heated showers are the right temperatures.
Early morning needs the electricity backup to get the water warm.
I hope that did not delay your schedule.

Asante sana.

Dallas
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My wife and I recently began our East African safari with a three night stay at the Tarangire Safari Lodge. Overall, though not a 'luxury accomodation' we were quite happy with it for a number of reasons including:

- Location: the Lodge is right in the middle of the park with a 'awesome view' from the tents of floor of the park. Sitting outside my tent, I could see elephants, antelopes, zebras at various water holes. We actually had a number of zebras and impalas wandering around by our tent. So, you definitely will feel you are immersed.

- Accomodations: accomodations are basic but perfectly fine. The tent has a comfortable bed and ensuite shower and bathroom. Please note, these are not, by any stretch, "luxurious" accomodations but, for the money, are fine. Plus, you aren't going to be spending much time in your tent anyway.

As a inexpensive, rustic way to begin a safari, we were quite happy with our stay at TSL. However, I would note, if you are looking for a lux experience or you have come from a place like Olakira or Mara Explorer or Governor's Camp, then this is probably not for you (try Olivers or Treetops). Other notes:

- Service is friendly though occasionally hit or miss. Some of the waitstaff are extremely gracious, others are clearly there for the paycheck.

- The food is not the best you will have on your trip though I give the camp points for trying to keep the meals varied (Mexican for lunch one day, Indian the next). Breakfast is fine.

- Power outlets are available during morning and evening hours in the bar area. They use power strips that work with US plugs without adapters (if you are traveling from outside the US you may need to use an adapter/convertor).

- Drinks on the patio overlooking the park are an excellent way to enjoy the end of your safari day.

Room Tip: Our room had a king size bed in it, which is what we wanted. Others have two doubles. Make sure you...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GJK11
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Jambo GJK11 !
Thank you for taking the time with that very descriptive review! = )

Your remark about some of the wait staff waiting for a paycheck was a pity. They do wear name tags, so if you could remember or describe who looked less engaged, we would appreciate knowing. We appreciate that Staff & Service are so important for the overall experience.

"Asante sana!!"