Cercina Hotel
  • Breakfast included
US$128
US$140
US$133
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This is very hard to score, since some of the aspects of this hotel are fantastic; location, lovely food (apart from the shockingly bad breakfast), nice rooms (not the budget ones) and it couldn't really be much quieter and more relaxed.

HOWEVER some of the service was diabolical and even insulting, the young girl at reception was actually a disgrace - and utterly the opposite to what we experienced from the general public both in Kerkennah and the mainland. We pre-booked a taxi the evening before in order to catch the morning ferry, only to be told that "they've already left" despite us being on time, waiting. I'm pretty sure the taxi was never there at all... We subsequently missed the ferry and it ruined our day, they couldn't have been any less helpful. On another occasion, an honest mistake led to confusion over the price, but that was largely down to a lack of professionalism on the part of one staff member - who otherwise was very helpful and attentive. As I've mentioned, the breakfast was shocking, covered in flies and not fit to serve.

Despite all of this the room and courtyard are beautiful, beaches in October almost freakily tranquil and mostly deserted, and when you first arrive you'll be blown away by the idyllic scene (apart from a few stony areas of sand). The fish dishes are lovely (try the Tunisian salad), just be careful to agree a price, and take your own breakfast!

Room Tip: Get a comfort room with a sea view, you can stumble out into the bay. Very nice :-)
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AndyNashGuitar
Reviewed 17 April 2012

After getting the last ferry from Sfax to the Island, we stumbled upon the Cercina after taking a look at some of the other hotels that were open. The place has a really good vibe and is located right on the beach. The receptionist was welcoming and gave us a little discount, with the room coming to 80 dinars (ca £40) for a double, which was good value for money. Rather than the drab Seventies style which some of the other hotels seem to espouse here, the Cercina rooms are laid out in bungalows in a garden. The room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. The restaurant is across the road from the hotel reception and we were just in time to get some dinner. The restaurant specializes in seafood, of course, and we were not disappointed, neither by the quality nor by the prices. The hotel doesn't have a bar so we ordered some beers to be delivered to the room, which proved to be no problem! The laid-back attitude continued the next morning when we were shamelessly late going into breakfast but the waiter managed to whip us up some. Apart from a few minor details (the double bed was two singles shoved together, the absence of a curtain in front of the bathroom window), this hotel is definitely worth a solid three stars.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bertie33
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I had the misfortune of going back to Cercina hotel this year expecting the same standard of service and food as last year. The food was far from appetizing and I had to wait on two or three occasions for a very very long time to attract the attention of the waiting staff who seem to be moving like mute zombies (excetp when it comes to yapping between themselves) and oblivious of what is going on on the terrace. The food was poorly presented and lacked flavour. The chamber maidswere annoyingly as noisy as bumblebees, from 6am; the Breakfast buffet, well , that was a laugh: coffee wasa coffee flavoured brown coloured tap water, the sliced "fresh" bread wasstale and the toast was rock hard, the fresh fruit bowl was made up of wrinkly golden delicious apples that have seen better days; I could bore you to tears describing the poor breakfast, but I won't. I raised the issue of the poor standard of food with the owner ( or his son) who my companion happened to know him. My remarks fell on deaf ears. I was having a beer on the tessrace on my last day of stay, when I heard a Tunisian Tourist guide commenting to the owner on the poor standards of food. the owner seemed unconcerned. tthe whole hotel seemed very run down; and the unwelcoming feel greets you from the reception desk. That would be the last time I visit Cernina hotel and will discorouge anyone from visiting it. I am returning to the island in November this year and I would be paying a visit to the Kastile hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank zino135
Reviewed 9 January 2010

If you want luxury and fine dinig this isn't for you, but if you want rustic, simplicity away from it all it is fantastic.
The food at the restraunt a stone's throw from our chalet was simple, fresh and incredibly tasty. The oeuf de seche (squid eggs) llok like gnocchi and taste like the tendereest calamari in the world.

Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CherR1
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I booked a room by telephone and faxed confirmation in June for a room in August 2008. 3 days before I was due to arrive in Tunisia the hotel phoned me to concel the booking due to a shortage of rooms! This left me without accommodation for my holiday as August is very busy on kerkennah.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo