“Lovely Beach Oasis”
Review of Knai Bang Chatt

Knai Bang Chatt
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Kep
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We spent three nights in Kep and were fortunate to have booked accommodation a Knai Bang Chatt. The location was perfect!!! Walking distance to small Crab Market and Restaurants and short Tuk Tuk to Kep Town. The staff were very accommodating and we thoroughly enjoyed relaxing by the gorgeous pool in the afternoon. Very peaceful and Organic rooms. Breakfast was delightful and the view from the Cabana was magical. Great for families. The Sailing Club is a must to visit for sunsets. Stunning!!!

Room Tip: Make sure to book a tour to Rabbit Island. It is cheaper to book through the Travel Agents at Crab...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Darcy M

Reviewed 28 July 2014

There is no doubt Knai Bang Chatt is an exceptionally good resort: well appointed rooms, magnificent sea water infinity pool, a great shorefront dining experience to be had at the next door Sailing Club, but with a few tweaks it could be magnificent. We bought a couple of nights accommodation at a charity auction. Once we had booked we reconfirmed several times about the auction purchase, but when we arrived the staff questioned the authenticity of our voucher. We ended up having to track down the charity organizer, who was on holiday herself. This could have been a simple communication breakdown, but I felt that the front desk staff could have spent more time working in the background to resolve the issue (I had shown them several emails between two of their booking staff and me) and less time making us feel like we were intruders until such time as we established the voucher was real. This really set a bad tone for what should have been a relaxing few days. On top of this there was a valid (buried in the terms) but egregious charge for an extra bed - it just all felt very mercenary, especially in a country where friendliness and good customer service generally prevail. Aside from that the resort really is spectacular yet serene, but don't expect anything of the beach which is rocky, oily, and just a few metres wide even at low tide. I am sure most people who come here have a great experience, and aside from the troubles with the front desk, we did too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Wilburtan
Joffrey G, General Manager at Knai Bang Chatt, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Willburtan,

What an amazing comments! Thanks for staying with us and purchasing/winning a Charity/ voucher to stay with us all the way from Singapore to Kep-Cambodia.

Sorry for having my staff asking you for your Hotel Voucher but believe me it is kind of a common practice to check that up during check-in.

Also, charging for an extra bed is also common practice too. At the decent rate compare to what you could pay back home in Singapore.

Thanks again for supporting Charity work.

My team and myself are sending you all great vibes and wishing you all the best back home.

Regards,

Joffrey GRIS

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The resort is the most up-market place in Kep. It comprises three beautifully renovated villas along with a couple of buildings added to create more rooms.

We paid approximately US$50 on an Agoda special for garden view rooms, which was a sensational price for such a luxurious property where rooms can cost $200 or more per night. Each room is different and contains individual pieces of vintage furniture, so it is a lottery as to what your room will be. We paid extra for a seaview room but our friends in the garden view room had a better view of the sea, so don't bother with the 'seaview' which just means it is upstairs.

Unfortunately like many very stylish properties, 'designer' is more important than good design. For example our room had no full length mirror and the only mirror was behind the deep set bathroom basin, which was useless. The furniture was more lovely than comfortable and convenient. However it was all very pretty and the bed was large and comfortable.

Like many stylish places focused on westerns, there was only toilet paper in the bathroom and no toilet hose which is just annoying. We were in Cambodia after all. The rooms are way too stylish to have a television but there is a large one in the library room which also has a nice big table for a hand of cards. There is also a PC for guests use there as well as wifi in the rooms.

The real delights are the gardens and pool and the excellent drinking and dining at the Sailing Club next door, owned by the resort. Careful with those two for one cocktails at happy hour! The resort is right on the beach but the pool is better value for swimming. There are only a few actual sand beaches in Kep.

There is an upmarket restaurant on site called The Strand where the food is good and of course stylish, and the service will probably improve as the staff gain experience. The included breakfast is served in the covered open-air dining area overlooking the beach. There were plenty of choices.

Obviously do not book any tours or travel arrangements at an expensive property like this. There are plenty of travel agents at Kep Beach. The Crab Market is next door to the Resort and the walk into Kep Beach is a pleasant one. That is where the mini-buses leave from. Tuk tuks can be organised here for tours or to transfer you from the resort.

It is a lovely experience staying here but the management really need to focus on the comfort of the guests and the convenience of the rooms, not just the style!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2014

One word that best describes KBC is tranquil...
We were there for our 4th Wedding anniversary and eventho it rained most of the time, we had a wonderful time.
Spa is beyond excellent! Food at the Strand is to die for. Service is top notch. We really enjoyed the peace and quiet especially at the pool.
While we were there, we made a few simple request (Coconuts, Kep Crab cooked in Kampot Peppers and Fish Amok which were not on the menu) and all the staff were delighted to oblige.
For our anniversary dinner, we had booked the rooftop dining however due to the rain they did the setup in their full glass meeting room overlooking the strand restaurant and sea. The set dinner menu which included wine pairing for each course was sent to us earlier that day for our approval, everything was splendid. Upon check out we realized that we didn't have enough USD, reception was nice enough to accept our SGD. We will definitely return someday soon to enjoy the beautiful sunset during the sunny season... Thank you KBC for making our stay there wonderful!

Room Tip: All rooms seem pretty good. We had room 9!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charmaine_Ezra
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Like other guests I could talk about the incredible view, tranquil feel, friendly service and funky decor of this beautiful sanctuary-like resort; but instead I want to share with you something that warmed my heart. After returning to my room from my delicious evening meal, I noticed that my room had been turned down; my mosquito net set up, my dressing gown placed on the bed and slippers at the foot of the bed... all very nice but to some degree, expected from such a high end resort. What wasn't expected was what I found on my desk; the necklace that I had put there prior to going out was now arranged in the shape of a HEART. I know it doesn't sound much, but it was the most personal touch that I had ever experienced in a hotel. It made me smile and made my visit to Kep all the more special. Thank you to the kind heart who did that for me. It really made my day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank MaiDarlain
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Chosen as our romantic honeymoon destination, Knai Bang Chatt definitely did not disappoint! Our first night we were invited for drinks and a local contemporary dance performance by an inspiring group. When we got back to our room, the staff had made of our room with kissing swans and congratulatory cake...love the small touches! Not only that, every night we were left a tasty small treat in our room. All of the staff are extremely pleasant and attentive but also very competent. KBC is situated on the beachfront and the overall layout is well planned. My wife loved the room in particular the essential oils and pottery shampoo bottles. This establishment is a great asset to the Kep Province!

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Brooksy1985
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I knew I had arrived to a very special place from the moment I stepped into Knai Bang Chatt. Greeted by a fresh ocean breeze, a warm welcome and a most delicious refreshing tamarind juice drink, I quickly forgot the bustling city of Phnom Penh I had left behind.

The property itself is architecturally stunning, located right on the sea with the most magnificent views of the Gulf of Thailand. The hotel is surrounded by a beautifully manicured property, and one is enveloped by the scent of tropical flowers and sounds of birds. There are also several quiet and comfortable spots on the property which face the sea where one can read, or lay in a hammock while watching a spectacular sunset.

My room was tastefully decorated and full of character with gorgeous garden and sea views. I loved the clean lines, and the chic minimalist decor, giving the place a very Zen feeling. Even the bed nets were beautiful and artistic! The interior of the rooms seem to be very much in harmony with its natural surroundings which I really liked. Every evening after dinner, I would return to my room which had been turned down, and was pleasantly surprised to find a nice after-dinner treat waiting for me. These are no small details and make this place so extraordinary.

The bathroom was immaculate, spacious and beautiful. Excellent water pressure with all the modern amenities. I particularly appreciated the efforts to remain environmentally conscious. For example, the little clay pots for bath products was functional, chic and eco-friendly. I really loved this idea and hope other hotels learn by this example -- so much better than the wasteful use of plastic bottles which get discarded soon after one use.

The infinity pool was amazing with breathtaking views of the sea while swimming or relaxing by the poolside. My only regret was not trying the spa service, but hopefully on my next trip!

The best part of this hotel was undoubtedly the kindest and most gentle staff who were all very hardworking and attentive but at the same not time intrusive. The breakfast was excellent with a variety of fresh fruits, juices, cheeses, and so much more to chose from. I also had two wonderful three course meals at the Strand Restaurant which could not have been more perfect.

A very special thank you to both Joffrey and Mr. Sophearith for their warm welcome and making my stay so memorable. I cannot say enough good things about Knai Bang Chatt and all of its lovely staff. I hope to return again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo