“Dissapointed”

Ranked #2 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Kep
kent
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Have read the reviews and passed Botanica during previous visits so was pleased to be able to stay there late this January. The new buildings are of good quality and the gardens are tranquil. It's a pleasant stay. However, the new pool, whilst welcome is a bit stark and modern so doesn't really go with the rustic surroundings.

The lady who appeared to be the manager was my problem. I am sure her intentions were good but she is quite invasive. She constantly wanted to know where I had been, where I was going, what my movements were. It got to the stage I dreaded passing the reception area becuase I would be subject to an inquisition. She needs to learn the art of unobtrusive more subtle management.

Prices have increased substantially since the makeover. However, no soap or shampoo in the cottage bathrooms. I asked why and was told this was available upon request only. Not clear why a small bar of soap can't be put in bathroom. Seems pretty tight.

Finally, I wanted to relax with a cocktail in the evening. The cocktail was quite expensive ($3.50?) and there was no detectable alcohol. Very stingy measures. And I had to take it back to my cottage anyway as the manageress wouldn't let me relax in peace.

Could be so much improved with better staff training and less stingy practices.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank robert3764

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed at Botanica in October 2012 and have taken awhile to add my review. What a lovely guest house with such friendly owners and staff! I had a very relaxing 4 days there.

I have been to Kep about 6 times before and usually stay at Kep Lodge. I wanted to try something different after reading a good review about the newly updated renovations and change of ownership at Botanica. I was not disappointed.

The food is great, the staff helpful and friendly. Anything I asked they did their best to give me information and be of assistance. I felt relaxed and at home in this guest house.

They have bikes to lend free of charge and can organise rental motoscooter or bikes. Nothing seems to be a problem. It is pleasant riding along the quiet roads and town is not far away. Take a torch if you go out after dark as there are no light on the road near Botanica.

Next time I stay here I hope the swimming pool will be finished. It was half way completed in October and would be a bonus on the hot days to be able to sit around the pool after a day out to chill and talk to other fellow travellers. There is a nice open dining area where guests congregate to eat and talk as well as a TV area to lounge and sit back.

I only have one recommendation and that would be to have a small fridge in the bungalows to store some drinks or snacks of your choice. Other than this I cannot think of any bad things to say.

Thank you for the enjoyable stay at Botanica Guest House.

Room Tip: I had the bungalow at the back which was new and quiet.. it was lovely!! Not sure what the other one...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank chrissiemclay
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

I usually don't write many reviews buy this place definitely is worth it. It is located by the main road so by bicycle (which are for free) you can get anywhere in no time. The new owner has renovated everything and I must say it is by far the place with the best ratio quality/cost so far I have visited in Asia. The rooms are new, clean, they are building a swimming pool which will be finish in a month, food is great and the owners and the people working here are great!!!

I would recommend this place without any doubt.

I forgot to mention that they have a beautiful garden which makes you definetely think you are in the middle of a wonderful botanic garden.

• Stayed September 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Lovely bungalows. Lush garden setting. Installing a pool now.

Best part was the service, the family could not have been more accommodating. He gave us rides to town, including my friend to the pharmacy when I fell sick. They provided us with a thermometer and were generally kind and genuinely concerned.

At first, we were a little put off by the distance to town, but we used the free bikes for day trips (they also have motobikes), and the tuk tuk rides in the evening were short.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I just joined Trip Advisor today to write this review. I live in Cambodia and have been going to Kep for many years and have stayed everywhere there is to stay - both budget and higher end. The last time I went to Kep we stayed at Botanica with the previous owner and whilst in that incarnation Botanica had a unique appeal, the new Botanica is something else altogether . Phillipe and wife have done a fantastic job of revamping the guesthouse. Everything from the relaxed restaurant and its simple but delicious fair and great cocktails to the now manicured garden surrounds ( before an unruly jungle ) to the "like-new" bungalows with clean everything......Botanica is now the clear winner at the lower budget end and with saltwater pool coming, even if prices go up a few bucks...this place is a no brainer. I actually stayed with 9...yes 9...family members and our dog and we were welcomed with open arms.. Make sure you try the "Tunisian Bricks' on the menu - they are to die for as is the breakfast omelette with ham and cheese.. Phillipe - you have a customer for life with us. Thanks for the stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thimphu District, Bhutan
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Great place for someone on a budget. A few kilometres out of town. The bungalows are small but meticulously clean. Lovely garden setting. Good food. I've stayed there several times and the staff are always super friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Very nice place, good a/c bungalow slight down side is no fridge I'n room! Breakfast was a bit disappointing, ie cold beans cold coffee ect! But to be fair the owners where not on site for the first 2 days of our stay! The day the owners returned we had a big storm that night so reluctantly we eat at the botanica, but boy are we glad we did- the meal was fantastic 10 out of 10 we had to leave very early next morning so niver got the chance to try anything els- would definitely recommend this place..

• Stayed January 2012