“Lovely guesthouse and hospitality”

Botanica Guest House
Ranked #2 of 32 Speciality Lodging in Kep
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

I fell in love with this guest house since i step in, just like another world compare to the dusty road out there, the owner, Alak, greeting us with a big smile and quickly show us the room. Our rooms is amazing, it's like a resort, not guesthouse. We love the couch infornt of our room.
Next day we have a problem after eatting Crab from Crab market, so Alak gave us some medicine, she event gave me her motorbike and show me where can i get medicine.
I don't like Kep, but i love Botanica.Next time i may come Kep just to enjoy my time in Botanica

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 13 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in May 2013 and we both LOVED it. The bungalows were immaculate, the bed was comfortable, bathroom was very nice, porch with sofa and hammock were a great way to chill out in the shade in the afternoon. The bungalows were tucked away in a beautifully manicured garden. The room came with a mosquito net which we didn't generally need but it was nice to have.

The food was ah-may-zing! You do pay a few dollars extra compared to local restaurants but the taste was unbelievably good and the portions were massive. Our faves were beef lok lak and the chilli beef which they made especially for us as it was not a menu item (15 chillies per dish -- yikes!).

It was such a relaxing stay -- the pool is AWESOME; nice sun lounge chairs, shower, well maintained. Only criticism I had was the poolside could benefit from umbrellas for shade -- Cambodia in May was too hot for comfort at the height of the afternoon! The owners and staff were lovely and sociable. It had a real 'family' feel to it and they were so welcoming. There was a TV in the lounge if you wanted it; and we used their pool table in the evening after dinner.

We took the free bikes into town a few times; very handy to have as it's a long walk from Kep town. They booked our day tour to Rabbit Island for us and it was cheaper than local travel agents.

When leaving, the bus company forgot about us and the staff phoned them 2 times to ensure we would get to our destination (Kampot). In the end, it seemed that the last bus had left without us and the owner (Phillipe) even offered to drive us himself. Luckily, due to their phone calls, the bus company sent a new coach for us and we did not have to inconvenience Phillipe -- but how sweet is he to offer?!?!?!

Next trip to Cambodia: Staying here longer!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Having left the hectic pace of PP, I arrived at Botanica. Great place, in a beautiful setting. The bungalows are immaculate, with sofa and hammock on the porch. The bar and pool area is welcoming and laid back. The owners are welcoming and helpful. Would really recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed here in June 2013 for 3 nights.

The place is runned by a French guy and his Cambodian girlfriend, which I found both very helpfull and always in for a small talk. Really didn't experience the obtrusiveness which was mentioned in other reviews.

The thing I liked most of Botanica was the pool and the free bikes. After a day of cycling around Kep (which you should do!), you can releax a bit near the pool.

Bungalows are relatively cheap (you get the bikes and a pool with it as well). Food is rather expensive, should better bike to the Crab market and enjoy the sunset there. Breakfast was good though.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2013

It is a wonderful place. You have your own Nice and clean hut between the trees. Even with hammock and swimmingpool.
The Horsts and staff are verry kind and the food is sublime.
The guesthouse is not fat from Kep. You can rent a bike or motorcycle.
In the guesthouse you got to eat the krab with kampotpepper,it is verry good
It realy is a little paradise.

Room Tip: Of you want a little time off of al the rush,this is the place to be.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Have read the reviews and passed Botanica during previous visits so was pleased to be able to stay there late this January. The new buildings are of good quality and the gardens are tranquil. It's a pleasant stay. However, the new pool, whilst welcome is a bit stark and modern so doesn't really go with the rustic surroundings.

The lady who appeared to be the manager was my problem. I am sure her intentions were good but she is quite invasive. She constantly wanted to know where I had been, where I was going, what my movements were. It got to the stage I dreaded passing the reception area becuase I would be subject to an inquisition. She needs to learn the art of unobtrusive more subtle management.

Prices have increased substantially since the makeover. However, no soap or shampoo in the cottage bathrooms. I asked why and was told this was available upon request only. Not clear why a small bar of soap can't be put in bathroom. Seems pretty tight.

Finally, I wanted to relax with a cocktail in the evening. The cocktail was quite expensive ($3.50?) and there was no detectable alcohol. Very stingy measures. And I had to take it back to my cottage anyway as the manageress wouldn't let me relax in peace.

Could be so much improved with better staff training and less stingy practices.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank robert3764
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed at Botanica in October 2012 and have taken awhile to add my review. What a lovely guest house with such friendly owners and staff! I had a very relaxing 4 days there.

I have been to Kep about 6 times before and usually stay at Kep Lodge. I wanted to try something different after reading a good review about the newly updated renovations and change of ownership at Botanica. I was not disappointed.

The food is great, the staff helpful and friendly. Anything I asked they did their best to give me information and be of assistance. I felt relaxed and at home in this guest house.

They have bikes to lend free of charge and can organise rental motoscooter or bikes. Nothing seems to be a problem. It is pleasant riding along the quiet roads and town is not far away. Take a torch if you go out after dark as there are no light on the road near Botanica.

Next time I stay here I hope the swimming pool will be finished. It was half way completed in October and would be a bonus on the hot days to be able to sit around the pool after a day out to chill and talk to other fellow travellers. There is a nice open dining area where guests congregate to eat and talk as well as a TV area to lounge and sit back.

I only have one recommendation and that would be to have a small fridge in the bungalows to store some drinks or snacks of your choice. Other than this I cannot think of any bad things to say.

Thank you for the enjoyable stay at Botanica Guest House.

Room Tip: I had the bungalow at the back which was new and quiet.. it was lovely!! Not sure what the other one...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo