“Bigger, still good, not better”
Review of Vanna Hill Resort

Vanna Hill Resort
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kep
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We come every now and then at Vanna for a decade now. The $4 bamboo bungalows have changed into $40 nicely decorated ones, but its still mostly Kep itself and the views from Vanna surrounded by green which makes it worth coming back. We this time actually were transferred to their second resort Green Garden because the pool was under renovation. Not as nice as Vanna cause no view and not at walk distance of Kep's attractions but otherwise fine as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Having enjoyed this resort last year we decided to re-visit it for a few days en route to Kampot.

I booked a deluxe room online and on arrival we were shown our room and as the resort was virtually empty we decided on upgrade to a junior suite, in fact, the same one as we had previously.

The reasons for the upgrade were several, although the deluxe room was slightly further up the hill, the view was quite restricted because of the proximity of the trees but importantly was the fact that the curtains were paper thin and we would have been woken up by the first light of the day.

The views from the suites over the pool and right across to the sea beyond the Crab Market, particularly at sunset, are quite amazing.

However, I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of re-visiting hotels as memories always seem to improve with age.

The resort much as remembered but on the first evening and first morning there was no hot water for showering and I discussed with the Receptionist who said he would check the hot water and ensure it was working and offered us a $10 discount. He also said if there was anything else we needed – just ask.

Ok, hot water not being available wasn’t really acceptable but I think it was more unacceptable that the electricity supply was highly erratic and, if I have understood the situation correctly, it appeared that when the resort was virtually empty the generator was only turned on when required. Well, to be frank, if I’m paying $80 a night I expect all services to be provided. Still comparing our experience to last year, the buffet breakfast was unable and breakfast needed to be ordered but the food on offer was significantly less than last year. This wasn’t helped by our lack of understanding their language or, of course, their lack of English.

I have seen other reviews mentioning “new management” and if this in the case, then they are spoiling the resort by over cost-cutting!!!!

Would I recommend this resort, last year I probably said absolutely but this year I have my reservations. The suites are very nice, the pool is still great and the views suburb but I feel it’s going downhill. Perhaps, the new management should decide to wholly committing to the resort or “shut up shop” when it’s too quiet.

Room Tip: Upgrade to one of the junior suites
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank athome42
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This resort if you can call it that is very run down, the once manicured gardens are over run with weeds and no maintenance what so ever, the pool was filthy dirty and full of bigs that bite, the language barrier was significant and restaurant lacked any atmosphere again big language barrier and no menu. After noticing on here trouble with check in dates I reconfirmed the week before leaving home and yet dates still incorrect when we arrived. We hated it so much we left a day earlier and continued our travels

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived after long drive from Sihnoukville to find the resort had no record of our booking, despite me having two confirmation emails to show them. We were given a room above the kitchen that was noisy and had ants in the bed. After being moved to a new bungalow in the dark we discovered a broken shower and poor amenities. The room was certainly not the deluxe that we had booked despite what the staff said. Breakfast the next morning was poor so we decided to leave.
I negotiated a discount for the room but still ended up paying for more than the 'standard' room we were given. Excuses given by the 'manager' were that the ownership had changed since our booking. This spoiled our stay in Kep and we moved on to Kampot.
Don't be fooled by the 'resort' tag, I don't recommend staying here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Location is great, easy walk to crab market. Pleasant grounds with good pool. There were, unfortunately, significant downsides.
Our room had a lovely hammock on the patio, great view. Unfortunately there was also a constant smell of sewer which detracted from that great space.
The restaurant was a significant downside. Perhaps it was because of new management, but the breakfast buffet was quite poor. Not enough food (and no, I'm not whining that there weren't enough pastries - there just wasn't enough breads, fruits). Dinner was adequate but not tasty enough to warrant repeating. For subsequent lunches we went to the crab market and dinners just up the hill (5 min walk) to other resorts with good menu choices and better prepared food.
Because of these shortfalls, I would hesitate to recommend Vanna Hill Resort.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian_and_Denis
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Very nice location, great and big salt water swimming pool, friendly managers + staff.
Food at restaurant was tasty but a little bit more expensive then elsewhere.
Only a 10 minute walk from the Crab market.
Kep has a nice vibe and Vanna did a great job keeping up this vibe (I don't want to sound to much as a hippie)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Lovely hotel with great views to surrounding area and the sea. Nice big, clean room with a balcony decked out with chairs just ready to watch the sunset.

The owner, a lovely French lady, recommended the best seafood restaurant in town which was a short walk away.

Would recommend this hotel for people looking for somewhere to relax in comfort and great surroundings. Suggest you take a torch for the walk into town.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool and was the highest so had fantastic views of the sea.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple