“pig wearing lipstick...”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gulf Breeze
harlan kentucky
“pig wearing lipstick...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

I will make this brief because that is how long we stayed..BRIEF..as in opened the door and shut the door and left. I attempted to stay there because of the name and the initial outdoor surroundings seemed ok. Check in was a nightmare,took almost an hour to just check in, have no idea why other than the clerk kept making mistakes. The rooms are with an exterior entry so everyone knew your comings and goings and I have to agree with the other review about the other guests, some seemed straight out of a horror movie,creepy doesn't even start to cover it. To get to our room, we had to drive around the back and to the end, there is no way I would have attempted to leave my room without some serious security. We could not open the door without a lot of wiggling the key and a brute force shove. The room was very tiny and looked like a condemned building with a new paint job. Once stepping on the carpet, I noticed it felt damp and soggy, I don't even want to know why. It truly was not worth the price or the effort, the name will draw you in but honestly, it doesn't even start to live up to it compared to the other Quality Inn's I've stayed in.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — pretty much everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank 2bad2bgood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2008

While checking out the reviews for this hotel, I was really scared to stay in this hotel. The review I was reading was really not good, they said a lot of bad things about the Quality Inn. I was dreading the stay and looked at it as "It's only two nights".
Well, I was very happy with the stay, the hotel, pool, grounds, rooms and employees were just fine. I would recommend it to anybody. The Zoo was enjoyable, I have 4 grandchildren: 3 girls ages; 7, 6 and 3 and a grandson 9 months old. Everything we did, zoo, shopping, eating and swimming was just great. Four generations went, Myself, my mom, one daughter her husband and two girls and my youngest daughter and her two children. I loved the stay, our family time together was irreplaceable and again would recommend it to others.

Stayed July 2008
Biloxi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2008

The following is a letter that I submitted to priceline.com regarding this disgusting dump of a hotel. A word to the wise, spend your money some where else. This place is a dump that is infested with filth. The management and staff are rude and hateful and they do not adhere to the policies and guidelines Choice International has set forth for customers. Choice will also do nothing for you if you stay in this hotel! I have been with this for almost a week now! I have pictures for anyone who would like to see them. Please send e-mail requests for the pictures to jasonjmoody38726@yahoo.com if you would like me to mail them to you. I have plenty to share! It should also be noted that hurricanes do affect these regions. We were the direct hit of Katrina (and NO, it was not in New Orleans). We do not have hotels this filthy. (it was noted that this hotel was set back by hurricane seasons in 04-05 on response letter from this place further down in the reviews). Either make it decent enough for people to stay there, or close it down. Ivan was well before Katrina! Bottom line, it is nasty, people are rude, and you are getting ripped off! I paid over three hundred dollars for two nights. It isn;t even that close to the beach!

This letter is in response to my complaint with my stay at Quality Inn and Suites, 51 Gulf Breeze Parkway, Gulf Breeze, Florida. I arrived on June 13, 2008 and ended my stay on June 15, 2008. The following is a compilation of the filth that was in the hotel room, my actions taken, interactions with the management and staff, and my dealings with price line.com. There are photos attached in this e-mail for you to view.
When we arrived at the hotel, we checked in. The lobby was noticeably ran down and appeared that it had not been cleaned in a while. The employees looked rather un professional with their shirts un-tucked and hair messy. We then go around to our room. Prior to going inside the parking lot had plenty of debris in it which you can see some of it in the photos. This limited the parking space that was already scarce. It should also be noted that the building adjacent was empty and there was all sorts of furniture spread out the walkways of it with a large dumpster in the middle of the parking lot. We then walked into the hotel room and it had a disgusting smell. It smelled sour and moldy. I immediately noticed that the floor was not clean. It looked as it had not been vacuumed in a while. There was a sandy footprint in the floor just beside the air conditioner. As I took off my shoes and headed or the restroom, my partner stepped on a piece of hard black plastic that was in the floor. He did not puncture his skin, but it did bruise the bottom of his foot the way he landed on it. Not too long after this incident, I was coming around the corner from the bed heading into the dressing room area when I tripped and snagged my shirt on an exposed nail that was hanging out of the wall. I do believe there is a photo of the nail for you to review. There is plenty of mold around the hotel room as you can see from the photos. The only chair that was in the hotel room appeared to be water stained, but if not water stained, it is definitely stained. The moldy areas were very prevalent in the ceiling in spots and in the shower and on the shower curtain. There was also lots of soap scum where the tub surround had not been cleaned in quite a while. There was water stains on the drapes and also a set of holes in them where something had torn them. The lamp shades had cracks, paint, and mold on them. It is also very obvious that there is rust on some of the fixtures.
There were fingerprints all over the metal racks (towel racks) and counter tops where it had not been cleaned. The coffee pot was disgusting. As you can see in the photos it had some substance that was not paint on it. I could rub it off but I ran one finger over it before I gave up on that idea and just washed my hands. The main mirror was dirty over the sink, but the mirror on the door going into the shower/toilet area was absolutely disgusting. It appeared that someone had sat in the floor and squeezed acne blisters on their face onto the mirror. It was awful. The shower curtain had a musty smell to it as well. The back of the exit door had some substance streaming down the back of the door where it had not been cleaned in quite a while. The window the hotel had not been cleaning quite sometime. It had a cloudy haze to it. The television set in the room was awful, it was not even near the tv, was very small, and it would turn off on its own without being touched.
We decide to check out the “beach area“ the hotel advertises. It was equally as bad as the inside of the hotel rooms. The beach area had all sorts of litter and debris on it from crawfish heads that had been eaten, garbage, beer bottles, leaves, and broken glass that made the entire area unsafe for walking on barefoot (the way most people walk on the beach). The other areas of the beach had not been kept up either. They were disgusting and nasty and appeared to be un-safe for patrons to walk on.
On our stay there, we used our only two towels that we were allowed during our first shower. I called housekeeping at approximately 0830 the next morning and asked for more towels and more pillows. After waiting for one hour more, we decided to leave and bathe later. At two thirty that afternoon, I called again to inquire as to where they were and still no response. Finally when I was ready to walk all the way to the front desk to find them, I saw the housekeeping guy and he went and brought me some. I asked about the pillows again and he told me that he would have to bring them later. I replied fine, just leave them in our room. They never came. Later that night, I walked to the front desk and asked for more pillows. They told me that housekeeping was closed and that I could not get them. My response was that I had asked three to four times prior and nobody would do anything about it. The next morning upon checkout, the young lady asked me how my stay was and I told her I was extremely disappointed with it. She asked me what was wrong and I told her including about the pillows and towels. She responded that had she been there she would have done something about it. That really sent me over the edge because she was the same lady that answered the phone when I called about them the first time. As you will see in the photos, the pillows were old, dirty with stains and very thin. The hotel has a policy that if they cannot satisfy you and get you what you need, in a timely manner and to your satisfaction, they will refund your room. I did not set this policy, they did. Therefore, they should adhere to it.
I immediately asked for the manager upon check in to the hotel and was told that she was on vacation and would not be return until Monday, June 16, 2008. At this point, I called the corporate office of Quality Inn and Suites. They informed me there was nothing they could do immediately about the situation and that the hotel was independently owned and operated. They did tell that someone would call me back within 48 hours, which they did not and have not yet as to date. I did not contact price line.com immediately for several reasons. I did not have computer access and I did not have a direct contact number for them. I left a message for the manager to call me back and no one ever did. I consistently called the hotel for three days until the manager happened to answer the phone. I explained my situation to her and she would not hear it from me. She explained that I had to contact price line.com and they would handle it. I explained to her at this point I had contacted price line.com and they told me they could not do anything about it at that point. Before I could fully explain this to her, she hung up on me. I immediately phoned back and kept getting excuses that she was out on the property and that she was unavailable. I actually told them on one call that I would wait on hold until she could take my call. They wait approximately three or so minutes then they hung up on me again. Now, after I have contact several outlets to search for the property owner, I still do not have an answer.
The sad thing about this entire issue is this….had I not been treated so poorly and spoken down to by the manager, I would definitely be satisfied by crediting a one night refund on my credit card. However, the way she has treated me, the way I have been put off and forgotten about, and the amount of research and time I have put in to making sure I am heard is well worth a full refund. No one was concerned with helping me immediately to solve this problem so I feel the $300.00 plus dollars should be fully returned to me. Maybe this will teach someone a lesson not to treat the general public so terribly.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Rude and Filth
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BiloxiBoizGJ

Travellers are raving about these Gulf Breeze hotels

Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2008

My family and I had a great week at this hotel several years ago, so we decided to come back. It's obvious this hotel has been hard at work because there are great new renovations that made this trip even better than the first. We continue to love the spacious rooms and the ocean view all at a great value. The staff is friendly and very accommodating. I'm sure we will return to this beautiful vacation spot again!

Stayed March 2008
West Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2007

Okay, where do I begin? Here are the good things:

1) The outside is manicured and clean. The staff sweeps up cigarette butts and there is no litter.

2) It's by a marina and part of the hotel has a lovely view.

3) Housekeeping does a great job cleaning the room and they fold your towels into elephants.

That's it.

Specifics:

1) It is 6:00 in the morning. I have been up since 4:00. I can't sleep because of the highway noise. The hotel is on HWY 98, just at the base of the bridge into Pensacola. Traffic is heavy and nonstop. Very very very noisy.

2) My bed is so uncomfortable that I have a backache.

3) My toilet keeps running.

4) There's a funky stain on my chair.

5) My furniture is peeling.

6) The curtains don't close all the way.

7) What's with the restaurant? Lights off...nobody's home.

8) Ice machine is not on 2nd floor. Only on the 1st floor and not in a well-lit area.

9) No elevators.

10) Bathroom has no ventilation system so in conjunction with the Florida humidity, this makes the room even more like a steam room.

11) Again, because of the humidity, things are rusty and falling apart. The toilet screws...a lot of the fixtures have rust. The furniture is warped. Rust stains everywhere. The lamps have rust. I have never seen a rusty lamp.

12) Some of the clientele. Seriously. I have a questionable character in the unit below me and a group of construction guys next to me who love to party and hang around outside. They couldn't wait to go to Hooter's at Pensacola Beach. Before that, some college kids were setting up a bash and talking on their cell phones. You can hear everything here. I can hear the guy next door waking up at 4:45. Is this a frat house? Where am I?

13) Traffic getting in and out of here. Last night I had to wait 15 minutes before I could make a left-hand turn getting into the parking lot. Yes, for being in the middle of nowhere's-ville, it is very busy.

14) No wi-fi for business travelers.

15) Also please note that this is a motel with entry from the outside of each unit. This is a contributing factor to the noise issue.

Honestly, I think the reason that this business can be sub-par is because the competition is over a 3-mile bridge. They are the only hotel in Gulf Breeze other than a really scary one. I think they thought if they slapped up some new paint and sinks, it would make the units decent.

I drove the area last night to see what else was out there and if you go off-season, Pensacola Beach has a few nicer hotels. Just because it says Quality Inn, do not be fooled. They need to re-evaluate this property.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
bana55, Sales Director at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 30 April 2008
Since your last visit here with us was October 2007, the hotel has made some really great enhancements to the property during your absence. Since the last hurricane seasons of 2004/2005 left most of our area in complete devastation, it has also brought new life and new beginnings to the area, including to our own hotel. Our guest rooms have had a complete make-over to include: fresh new paint color schemes, new carpet, new Serta mattresses, bed linens, comforters/pillows, new black-out curtains, granite countertops in the guest vanity area's, new in-room furniture and chairs, complimentary Wi-Fi in all of the rooms, and the hotel is now serving a daily complimentary Continental Breakfast from 7:00 am to 10:00 am located in the waterfront restaurant adjacent to the lobby.

We appreciate your comments and concerns and hope that you will give our hotel another chance to show you all of our fresh new guest room accomplishments. We think you'll be impressed.

Again, thank you for your patience during our hurricane rebuilding efforts. We hope to see you again real soon!

Quality Inn & Suites of Gulf Breeze Staff
Huntsville, AL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2007

We paid $179 for a king suite facing the bay. the room had been remodeled, but was obviously quite old. All of the furnishings had been freshly spraypainted white, and the bathroom sink was a bar sink. (Wierd) There were only two small bath towels. The room had a fridge and microwave and would have been a fine deal, at 100.00 or less. Even $130 wouldn't have been so bad. The bay view was very pretty, but the last storm had obviously washed away the deck and walk way from our back door. The only way to get to the sand was to walk over a peice of swollen plywood. Everyone that we seen, and I do mean EVERYONE that we seen at the hotel had tattos, peircings and beer coolers. So you if you don't have a tatoo or multipul piercings, BRING A SHARPIE to drawn barbed wires on your arm, or you'll feel VERY out of place. The pool was clean and pretty and the view was fine. If you don't mind all of the other scary looking people, and just need a basic place to stay, it is fine, clean enough and convenient to the beach with a litle drive and toll charge. The restaurant was closed down and there was no breakfast of any sort. It would make a better Motel 6 or Super 8 than Quality Inn.

• Liked — the view of the bay
  • Disliked — the other travelers
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Big Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2007

We paid full price because we did not book ahead of time. The room was pretty clean, but the chair in the room had stains on it. I would probably stay here again- except I was a little put off by the lady checking room numbers at the continental breakfast. The breakfast was cereal, toast, bagels, pastries, and juice- hardly worth going to the trouble to steal. Overall a nice stay.

• Liked — nice big clean bed
  • Disliked — lady checking room numbers at the breakfast= I really thought it was strange.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
#6 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,562 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
SpringHill Suites Pensacola Beach
SpringHill Suites Pensacola Beac...
#3 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,093 reviews

Been to Quality Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!