This is our long over due review of outer wonderful stay at Punnamada Resort last year as part of our holiday in Kerala. Our stay began with a night on one of the resort's houseboats followed by 5 nights at the resort itself.
The houseboat is truly an experience of a lifetime. A drop of Zen in the colour and noise that is India. After a hair raising trip to the resort we were greeted by an immaculate houseboat staffed by three lovely crew. We had hesitated about taking our 3 and 6 year old children on water overnight but I'm very happy we went. Lake Vembanad is an amazing location and Punnamada Resort's houseboat was the perfect way to experience it. Our boat was certainly the nicest looking one of all the boats we saw while on the lake. The food prepared by our chef was amazing, he very happily and easily accommodated for our vegetarian family with fabulous Keralan food. Each meal we had was abundant and delicious.
Back at the resort we stayed in a double story garden view villa right by the pool. The highlight was the outdoor bathroom with its own private courtyard. It really had a fun spa feel.
One of the highlights of the stay was meeting and practicing with our yoga teacher, Pradeep Kumar. I specifically chose Punnamada Resort because I saw they offered daily yoga classes. I had not expected the quality of the yoga offered by the resort. Pradeep is obviously passionate about yoga and a committed practitioner of the art. My husband and I attended his classes daily during our stay and thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband, who doesn't often practice yoga, really found a connection with Pradeep's style of teaching. I felt both challenged and relaxed in my classes. I also learned some interesting mantras and pranayama techniques that I have continued to use. Some of this information is offered in a short manual available for sale at the Ayurvedic doctor's office for a few rupee, I highly recommend it. Our experience at Punnamada went from wonderful to extraordinary because of our yoga classes there. We really recommend all guests take advantage of the yoga classes.
The other highlight of our stay was the food at the restaurant. Each meal was extremely fresh and a visual as well as sensory feast. The restaurant had an abundance of vegetarian meals that we found it difficult to choose with so many options. There were local Keralan dishes as well as meals from other regions to sample. The restaurant happily accommodated for our children who were not used to eating spicy foods. We also loved trying all the different Indian breakfasts at the breakfast buffet.
We also had the pleasure of experiencing the Diwali celebrations during our stay. There was live music and the entire resort was lit up with thousands of candles.
A big thank you to all the staff at Punnamada who are always in our memories of our trip to India. We spent a significant part of our first visit to India with Punnamada and I am very happy I chose them.
Sandra, Damian & family
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Punnamada Resorts is nestled on the serene banks of Vembanad Lake and gives a world of heritage and luxury. The divine ambiance and the hospitality lead to a total relaxation of mind, body and soul and it highlighted the rich heritage and the essence of Kerala in its true form with a focus on the eco system and being an environment friendly resort by taking initiative in various fronts. The green leaf certified Ayurveda centre at Punnamada puts a new life into yourself and to regain vigor and vitality and lead a stress-free life. The essence of Kerala and its magical backwaters can be experienced aboard Punnamada’s exclusive 'Kettuvallam' (houseboats) by the resort, the houseboats of Punnamada equipped with the best of luxuries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Punnamada Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Punnamada Hotel Alappuzha
- Punnamada Backwaters Hotel
- Punnamada Resort Kerala, India