“The yoga is not to be missed”
Review of Punnamada Resort

Punnamada Resort
Ranked #2 of 67 Hotels in Alappuzha
Sydney
“The yoga is not to be missed”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is our long over due review of outer wonderful stay at Punnamada Resort last year as part of our holiday in Kerala. Our stay began with a night on one of the resort's houseboats followed by 5 nights at the resort itself.

The houseboat is truly an experience of a lifetime. A drop of Zen in the colour and noise that is India. After a hair raising trip to the resort we were greeted by an immaculate houseboat staffed by three lovely crew. We had hesitated about taking our 3 and 6 year old children on water overnight but I'm very happy we went. Lake Vembanad is an amazing location and Punnamada Resort's houseboat was the perfect way to experience it. Our boat was certainly the nicest looking one of all the boats we saw while on the lake. The food prepared by our chef was amazing, he very happily and easily accommodated for our vegetarian family with fabulous Keralan food. Each meal we had was abundant and delicious.

Back at the resort we stayed in a double story garden view villa right by the pool. The highlight was the outdoor bathroom with its own private courtyard. It really had a fun spa feel.

One of the highlights of the stay was meeting and practicing with our yoga teacher, Pradeep Kumar. I specifically chose Punnamada Resort because I saw they offered daily yoga classes. I had not expected the quality of the yoga offered by the resort. Pradeep is obviously passionate about yoga and a committed practitioner of the art. My husband and I attended his classes daily during our stay and thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband, who doesn't often practice yoga, really found a connection with Pradeep's style of teaching. I felt both challenged and relaxed in my classes. I also learned some interesting mantras and pranayama techniques that I have continued to use. Some of this information is offered in a short manual available for sale at the Ayurvedic doctor's office for a few rupee, I highly recommend it. Our experience at Punnamada went from wonderful to extraordinary because of our yoga classes there. We really recommend all guests take advantage of the yoga classes.

The other highlight of our stay was the food at the restaurant. Each meal was extremely fresh and a visual as well as sensory feast. The restaurant had an abundance of vegetarian meals that we found it difficult to choose with so many options. There were local Keralan dishes as well as meals from other regions to sample. The restaurant happily accommodated for our children who were not used to eating spicy foods. We also loved trying all the different Indian breakfasts at the breakfast buffet.

We also had the pleasure of experiencing the Diwali celebrations during our stay. There was live music and the entire resort was lit up with thousands of candles.

A big thank you to all the staff at Punnamada who are always in our memories of our trip to India. We spent a significant part of our first visit to India with Punnamada and I am very happy I chose them.

Sandra, Damian & family

Room Tip: Stay in a villa by the pool. You get to just walk out of your room straight into the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
VargheseKE, General Manager at Punnamada Resort, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review about Punnamada Resort on Tripadvisor. We are glad to note that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay . Let me thank you for staying with us and for the time you spent to write a review. Your review will certainly motivate us in our journey to excel. We look forward to welcome you back again to Punnamada Resort.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
France
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We found this place very difficult to find since it's not particularly well signposted but when we arrived we found the Punnamada Resort to be an oasis of peace, calm and quiet well away from the hustle and bustle of the town. Our villa room was in a traditional decor with a four poster bed and a very nice outdoor bathroom. The restaurant was very good and the Indian cuisine excellent. However, out of the four nights we stayed at this hotel, on two of the nights we were the only guests (and therefore, well looked after) so it's difficult to give a balanced review on quality of service etc. If we have any negative comments they would be that the hotel needs a little tlc (cracked powerpoints in our room for example). Another comment is that the Punnamada has an ayurvedic centre so why aren't there bathrobes in the rooms? Overall, though, we did enjoy our stay and would visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
VargheseKE, General Manager at Punnamada Resort, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review regarding Punnmada Resort on Tripadvisor. We are glad to note that you had enjoyed your stay . let me thank you for staying with us as well as for your lovely review. Your points are well noted and will be taken care of . thank you for the frankness. We look forward for your next visit.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Of course the location is great and the attentive staff make up for the rest.

The villas are designed in traditional style and bath room spacious.

We loved the food in their only restaurant facing the back waters.

The hotel's approach is very strange was difficult to locate and but once you reach it completely changes.

We had their house boat which was pretty good but be prepared to get stuck into a same place for the full night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your review regarding Punnamada Resort on Tripadvisor. We are glad to note that you had a lovely time here in our Resort. Let me thank you for staying with us as well as for your review. We look forward for your next visit.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

In the midst of a long journey on the hectic roads of Southern India, a night on the quiet waterways out of Alleppy was a most welcome change. We were the only passengers on board, along with three wonderful crew. Our A/C room (with en suit) on board was very comfortable, the fresh flower arrangement on the bed beautiful, all three meals were delicious and the slow pace of the journey was perfect. It was a great reviver after 23 days on the road.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toppies_11
VargheseKE, General Manager at Punnamada Resort, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about us on tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your backwater trip in our houseboat. let me thank you for staying with us . we look forward to welcome you back again to our resort and house boats during your next trip.

Varghese.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We slept there for just 2 nights after a long trip from Mumbai, lasted 1 week. The travel agency booked for us so I don't know how much it cost, but the experience was priceless. The room was speechless, so the general atmosphere and the food as well. I think I've never been in such a place

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marisa R
JomonJoseph, General Manager at Punnamada Resort, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review regarding Punnamada Resort. We are happy to note that you enjoyed your stay with us . let me thank you for staying with us . We look forward to welcome you back again to Punnmada Resort.

Bangalore
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This review was long overdue. Stayed in this lovely place in the end of August 2013 with my wife. I'm very glad that I cose this place to celebrate my wife's birthday. Considered to be one of the best, if not the best resort in Alleppey.Atleast my research before my trip tell me that this place outscores all other places around in terms of Value for money.
Travelled to Alleppey from Bangalore by train, reached early in the morning, called the resort requesting an early check-in, they happily obliged as it was an off-season. Reached the place by an auto. I had booked the garden villa for the first night and the houseboat for the next. The management graciously upgraded our room to lake-view villa!
The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and the resort ambience really helps you relax. The ayurvedic massage here was out of the world, so were the houseboat and Shikara rides.
The food was amazing. I particularly liked the soft and delicious pan-cakes.
There are facilities for various indoor and outdoor activities. We chose to cycle around the town on the last day.

The staff were very courteous and made the stay very comfortable.
We are definitely coming back here!!
Special mention for the manager, Mr.Varghese who offered us a few hours of extended stay in the resort to freshen up as there were some generator and ac problems in the houseboat in the previous night. We are very grateful for that.
There is definitely scope for improvement in some areas. I'll mention one here - The swimming pool was closed for maintenance. Maintenance is a neccessity no doubt. It would have been good if the management had informed us about this at the time of booking or when the maintenance was planned (Swimming pool is a key feature in any resort)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunManBlore
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your stay at Punnamada Resort. We are happy to note that you had a wonderful time during your holiday. Let me thank you for staying with us . We have noted your point and it will be taken care of in future. By the by our pool has been functioning for the last one month after up gradations. sorry for the inconvenience. We look forward to welcome you back again to Punnamada Resort.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed 2 nights in Kumarakom in one of the finest resorts and came to Punnamada for 2 nights. The price was exactly half but the quality and experience is just the same if not better.
The food was very impressive. The taste and the service were top notch.
I never seen such a professional people who thrive to keep the guest happy. I initially planned for one night at houseboat and had to change for some reasons and the resort happily accommodated the change and also upgrades my stay to better cottage.
The view was amazing.
The front desk person was very friendly and took good care.
Room service: Have you guys ever got any prompt room service anywhere consistently? Check this resort. Whatever you ask they get that done quickly and does not need a reminder.
Resort Location: I thought this was the best location compared to any other resort in Alleppey. I came from Kumarakom on houseboat and crossed this resort and saw few other resorts but Punnamada is located at such a great place.
Massage was good.
Areas of Improvement: Should give package including all meals not sure why for 2 days package one meal is not covered ? Why cant we increase the price and include that as well?
I can go on and on talking about this resort.
If you want to have a good peaceful vacation in Alleppey try Punnamada.

Thanks guys again....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Venkeee
JomonJoseph, General Manager at Punnamada Resort, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on trip advisor regarding our Punnamada Resort. We are happy to note that you had enjoyed your stay with us . Let me thank you for staying with us . WE look forward to welcome you back again to Punnamada Resort.

varghese.K.E.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alappuzha
Kondai Lip Backwater Heritage Resort
The World Backwaters
The World Backwaters
#18 of 67 in Alappuzha
Vasundhara Sarovar Premiere

Been to Punnamada Resort? Share your experiences!