Nestled snugly beside the Vembanad, a vast expanse of water that is 96 kilometres long and 14 kilometres wide, are a handful of traditionally designed structures that make up the Punnamada Resort. Having spent the best part of my life in Kerala, I expected to be immune to all that is deemed alluringly rustic, but just how wrong was I! What makes the villas enormously appealing is the air of old-world charm that envelops them; be it the earthen lampshades, the brass bell that so efficiently does the job of a doorbell, the wooden door latches or the ethnic furniture. If you forget to pull up the blinds, you might just about manage to sleep through an entire day - such is the tranquility of the place.
Lying in one of the hammocks adjacent to the Lakeview villas, you may choose to read a novel or just watch the world go by - surprisingly, traffic on the waterway can get just as dense as that on a highway, albeit pollution-free and amusing, largely due to the houseboats that come in all shapes and sizes. In fact, my jaw dropped when I saw a monstrous one majestically glide past, complete with a conference hall that can easily hold a hundred odd people. And some of these slow-moving barges are fitted with a satellite dish, so don't pass on the opportunity to travel on one for not wanting to miss out on an episode of your favourite daily soap. The resort has a couple of houseboats moored just off the property. Alternatively, you could get a therapeutic massage, ride a bicycle through the village, play badminton, hit the swimming pool, row a boat or fall into a peaceful slumber; you're spoilt for choice once you're there.
What makes your stay that wee bit more special is the staff. The management have hired a wonderful set of people as restaurant staff. They are attentive, accommodating, efficient, but most importantly, unobtrusive. In this age of 'in-your-face fake niceness', it's a relief to be surrounded by people who never overdo the customer service bit.
To cut a long story short, if you have a thing about idyllic surroundings, top-notch service and quaint villas, look no further than the Punnamada Resort. And you can thank me later!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Punnamada Resorts is nestled on the serene banks of Vembanad Lake and gives a world of heritage and luxury. The divine ambiance and the hospitality lead to a total relaxation of mind, body and soul and it highlighted the rich heritage and the essence of Kerala in its true form with a focus on the eco system and being an environment friendly resort by taking initiative in various fronts. The green leaf certified Ayurveda centre at Punnamada puts a new life into yourself and to regain vigor and vitality and lead a stress-free life. The essence of Kerala and its magical backwaters can be experienced aboard Punnamada’s exclusive 'Kettuvallam' (houseboats) by the resort, the houseboats of Punnamada equipped with the best of luxuries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Punnamada Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Punnamada Hotel Alappuzha
- Punnamada Backwaters Hotel
- Punnamada Resort Kerala, India