“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cherukara Nest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Cherukara Nest
Ranked #41 of 191 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We called this place a day before our arrival and were quoted 750RS for a room. When we arrived the man showed us other rooms some for 1200RS another for 1000RS, we stressed that we wanted the 750RS room as discussed. He then said it was 750RS per person, I laughed in his face and explained I have been in India along time and never been charged per person anywhere!!! As we proceeded to walk out he chased us and said we could have the room for 750RS. For those who are thinking this was a lost in translation moment please think again as I talked with another guest who had experienced the same behavior. Overall the rooms were clean, hot water and reasonably priced. Breakfast was ok too. I would rate this higher, but when someone attempts to cheat you in the visit five mins of a visit I can't help but feel slightly grieved by the experience. Oh and there are some cute puppies staying at the guest house also.

Room Tip: Don't pay more then 750RS per room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Cherukara nest is a great place for family and frinds...very nice place to spend....very near place to bus stand, market and backwaters boarding point. i woud strongly recomend people to stay in cherukara nest if you are visiting alleppey. very gentle staff (Tony)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Syed A
Estados Unidos
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Cherukara Nest is conveniently located; and the place is clean; and the owner is very nice. All of these things have been said by other reviewers. However, in addition to spending two nights at the guesthouse, I also rented the owner's houseboat (and three person crew) for one night, and I strongly recommend that people consider doing that, too. [Note: the boat is very nice and clean, but it is small (with only one small bedroom). I took it out alone (I was travelling by myself), and it could also work for a couple...but probably NOT for more than two people.]

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ArgentineTraveller6
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I want to warn single female travellers about a member of staff at this place. (Not Tony or his wife, who were fine, but a middle-aged local guy who is always there and seems to be employed to be the main point of contact for guests. I don't know his name.)

This guy made inappropriate advances towards me when I stayed there alone and made me feel thoroughly uncomfortable. (I am a twentysomething, white, British woman.) He kept insisting that a 'free massage' was included with the room (what a load of rubbish!) and knocked on my door about 10pm at night once, clearly drunk (he was always drinking), going on about this massage.

I generally found him not respectful and overly familiar - always trying to put his arm around me when talking to me, etc. All this despite my obvious lack of interest, discouraging manner and coolness towards him - he didn't take the hint. On the day I left he was still asking me if I was married, trying to take my hand to 'massage' it etc, despite me getting quite cross with him.

There's no way he's a legitimate massage therapist - it is not acceptable in Ayurvedic massage for men to massage women, and certainly not for them to behave like this. Of course, some Indian men do sometimes behave like this towards single women travellers, but you really don't want this sort of hassle at your accommodation as well.

The place was fine in most other ways, and I did stay a while and just continued to discourage him, but because of this I certainly wouldn't recommend this place for women travelling alone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
12 Thank dkvu
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Location – 5 min walking distance from bus stand, restaurants. 15 min walking distance from Nehru boating start point and just next to the Allepey canals.
Room and the stay- We got the room behind the front rooms. When I entered the room I felt as if I am in my native (as the home structures and ceilings are similar). Our room was a mini house in itself. On entering was a small room with a extra bed and sitting area, then inside was a big bedroom with wooden staircase inside.Next to it was a small area with mirror for dressing and the bathroom was basic but clean. The place I liked the most in the house was the backyard, which was the dining area. It had a pigeon nest/ home sort of structure in middle and couple of sitting areas spread out in the garden. After coming back from whole day of sightseeing we enjoyed to sit in the garden just doing nothing or watching TV in the sitting area. There are couple of very comfortable chairs where you can recline and relax.
Service- We enjoyed the traditional meal of Idiyappam and Appam in the morning made by the cook. Tony was very attentive and took care of our travel arrangements. Highly recommend the place and would love to visit again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Traveler_Madhu
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

we loved it here. had traveled up on the ferry and this place was in walking distance from the ferry landing. A gorgeous rustic heritage home well positioned to walk into town.The room was very spacious and clean and there was a delightful courtyard/garden area out back to relax. Breakfast was included in the price and was very tasty. We hired the house boat for a night which belonged to the property;s owner Tony. We would highly recommend everyone to do this.Tony is a lovely, helpful guy and the whole place has a relaxed laid back feel.

Room Tip: we stayed in one of the non a/c rooms at the front of the house which was spacious and had its own m...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank debbielove70
london
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Tony the owner is a very nice guy.laid back and relaxed vibe. Rustic heritage home and you pay for what you get 1500 rupees per night. We stayed three nights and Most people only stay one or two at the most.
Rooms were clean but not cleaned daily. Hot water is a bit sparse and breakfast isn't much. Toast, eggs and one cup of tea or coffee .

This is a great place for people on the move and we enjoyed it.

In terms of boating on the backwaters I highly recommend doing a few day trips with the local shop round the corner called dreamboats. Turn left out of the nest and follow the road round 300 yards and the shop is on the left.
Big houseboats looked good but they are too big to travel down the smaller canals where you see real people going about their daily chores. Our driver was amazing and he normally hangs out by the kiosk as you just turn round the bend. He has one very big tooth. Can't remember his name but the guy took us to places you will never see on a big boat. Amazing guy and a memorable few days.

• Stayed February 2012