“Good location, clean and tidy”
Review of Cherukara Nest

Cherukara Nest
Ranked #54 of 211 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We arrived late at night having booked ahead by phone; the place was easy to find. Although I thought we had settled the cost before arriving, the manager stated a tariff (1500R) higher than I had understood. It was late, we were tired and the room (and bathroom) immaculate so I accepted it. AC and fans worked well and we were provided with good battery lighting for during the regular power cuts. We subsequently moved into a shaded non AC room (750R) which was fine. In daylight, the garden was nice and the shared common areas provided a good 'guest' experience enabling catch-ups with other travelers; breakfasts were adequate though the manager did try to charge for second coffees etc (unnecessary I thought). It is in a great location - no loud traffic noise and just a short stroll to the canal, ferries, bus station and restaurants. We also booked, through the guest house, an afternoon's canoe hire. Although we didn't compare costings, it seemed reasonable and proved to be a trip highlight.

Room Tip: One room includes an annex - perfect for a small group or family travelling together. As rooms are n...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kuaka

Reviewed 1 December 2012

The property is perfect or the best words is per fact. I stayed as per many suggestions I got from many others visited and stayed in that property. I experienced the best service and a calm stay which any where else I did not get in any of my home stays. The room was decent and the breakfast was really good and more than the value I expected from this mode of stay.
So perfect perfect Per Fact

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

The rooms are large, it is decent value, and the breakfast is pleasant, so the place is fine for a night. But the Lonely Planet talks about 'the sort of welcoming atmosphere that makes you miss your grandma', which is something we definitely did not experience. It had no atmosphere at all and management were largely absent & indifferent. Average.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We called this place a day before our arrival and were quoted 750RS for a room. When we arrived the man showed us other rooms some for 1200RS another for 1000RS, we stressed that we wanted the 750RS room as discussed. He then said it was 750RS per person, I laughed in his face and explained I have been in India along time and never been charged per person anywhere!!! As we proceeded to walk out he chased us and said we could have the room for 750RS. For those who are thinking this was a lost in translation moment please think again as I talked with another guest who had experienced the same behavior. Overall the rooms were clean, hot water and reasonably priced. Breakfast was ok too. I would rate this higher, but when someone attempts to cheat you in the visit five mins of a visit I can't help but feel slightly grieved by the experience. Oh and there are some cute puppies staying at the guest house also.

Room Tip: Don't pay more then 750RS per room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Cherukara nest is a great place for family and frinds...very nice place to spend....very near place to bus stand, market and backwaters boarding point. i woud strongly recomend people to stay in cherukara nest if you are visiting alleppey. very gentle staff (Tony)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Syed A
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Cherukara Nest is conveniently located; and the place is clean; and the owner is very nice. All of these things have been said by other reviewers. However, in addition to spending two nights at the guesthouse, I also rented the owner's houseboat (and three person crew) for one night, and I strongly recommend that people consider doing that, too. [Note: the boat is very nice and clean, but it is small (with only one small bedroom). I took it out alone (I was travelling by myself), and it could also work for a couple...but probably NOT for more than two people.]

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ArgentineTraveller6
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I want to warn single female travellers about a member of staff at this place. (Not Tony or his wife, who were fine, but a middle-aged local guy who is always there and seems to be employed to be the main point of contact for guests. I don't know his name.)

This guy made inappropriate advances towards me when I stayed there alone and made me feel thoroughly uncomfortable. (I am a twentysomething, white, British woman.) He kept insisting that a 'free massage' was included with the room (what a load of rubbish!) and knocked on my door about 10pm at night once, clearly drunk (he was always drinking), going on about this massage.

I generally found him not respectful and overly familiar - always trying to put his arm around me when talking to me, etc. All this despite my obvious lack of interest, discouraging manner and coolness towards him - he didn't take the hint. On the day I left he was still asking me if I was married, trying to take my hand to 'massage' it etc, despite me getting quite cross with him.

There's no way he's a legitimate massage therapist - it is not acceptable in Ayurvedic massage for men to massage women, and certainly not for them to behave like this. Of course, some Indian men do sometimes behave like this towards single women travellers, but you really don't want this sort of hassle at your accommodation as well.

The place was fine in most other ways, and I did stay a while and just continued to discourage him, but because of this I certainly wouldn't recommend this place for women travelling alone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo