““Alleppey - Truly "Gods own Country"””

Green Palace Kerala Resort
Ranked #37 of 70 Hotels in Alappuzha
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Duration : 30/September/2012 to 01/October/2012 - 2days & 1 night.
Value for money : Excellent - 5 / 5
Staff Experience : Excellent - 5 / 5
Overall Rating : Excellent - 5 / 5

This was my first time visit to Alleppey. Overall I stayed in Alleppey in for 4 days and had a great time. I stayed one day in a Houseboat, one day in a beach side resort and the other day in Green Palace Kerala Resort. Out of all these 3 places the best experience was in Green Palace Kerala Resort. There is nothing wrong about this place, everything is just perfect.

Please do keep in mind this place is not exactly in Alleppey, its a few kms away from Alleppey atleast a hour or two journey. Once you reach the place you have to take a boat to get to the resort, this again is provided by the resort staff itself. Once you get into the boat and start reaching the resort, the resort welcomes you with a pleasant view. The staff Sabu & Sunil were the best guys I ever met. Sunil answered each call of mine and within a minute he catered to my needs. I stayed in the River View AC Cottages. There is a small Balcony which overlooks the river and the view is great, The rooms are very spacious.

Yes there are Lizards, Insects, Power issues etc. What else can you expect if the resort is on an Island. When the lights are On in the night they attract insects & that attracts lizards, that's just a food chain. I Avoided all these by doing basic steps, I closed the balcony door after 5 and closed the curtains that made sure none of the insects and lizards came in the room. We had our lunch in the balcony overlooking the river. There is nothing much to do other than enjoying the view in your Balcony as the place is an Island. Please avoid this hotel if you are looking to spend time outside the room, this is typically a place where you will be spending most of your time in the room. However, I did go for a small walk in the evening.

I had a train to catch at 6pm the day I vacated, since the check out time was at 10-11 I had to wait in the railway station for a few hours. I bought this to the staff notice they told me the rooms are empty for the next day and you can stay here untill 3 or 4pm without any extra charge, which was a very good gesture by the staff. Not only this I reached 1 hour before to the check in time.

Things that I liked :
1) Everything. The food, The Staff, The View, The Room

Things that I did not like :
1) Nothing

I would highly recommend anyone to stay in this Resort, I will keep visiting this Resort in the future.. Stay more than 2-3 days might be boring as there is nothing much to do around the resort..

Room Tip: Make sure you book the cottages with the River view..
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank live2travelAJ

Reviewed 24 November 2012

Any of you who wants to go this resort please read my story &then decide.
My check in time was 12 pm . Since this was on an island.I was informed that once I check in i cant go out for sightseeing . So I had to leave the alleppey beach half way just to check in before evening.
Mr Sunil & Mr.Jobi of hotel staff promised 2 rooms but we were given Cottages . I was very surprised .and the so called cottages turn out smaller than any budget hotel rooms .The cottages was a den of mosquitoes,insects & lizards. No mosquito repellent available.There were 2 night lamps in the rooms. NO white tube light or bulbs. AC is NOT working.MY children were dead scared at this sight. We complained but all in vain.
We were the only 2 families in the whole resort !!! So We told them to give rooms that were promised to us . To that they told they are under construction.
Then we came to know they were expecting a big group of foreigners (90-100) for dinner only.
So they just ignored our every complained . Also they flatly refused to us for dinner having outside in the garden & told to have in my room. since they reserved it for the foreigners.
I was adamant on changing my rooms & than to my surprise they said its is given to someone else.
After constant complaints for 2 hours they allotted me 2 rooms in alleppey city in a budget hotel.Good 1hour drive from this crap to that hotel
So after shifting there the nightmare wasn't over....My breakfast was from hotel's side as per the itinerary. They harassed me by denying half of the items from the menu & tried to charge by saying I have exceeded the per head breakfast amount.
I really advice you all Don't don't go to this HOTEL ever.

Room Tip: Check your room's every single thing lights, fans, Ac, water taps, Cupboards etc. Also fight fo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank HeJo_12
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed in an A/C deluxe room - the A/C is great and I needed it, but the power cuts (sometimes all night) meant you were lucky if it was working and made things very hot and uncomfortable!

This is a very small 'resort' which must be reached by ferry. The guys working there were shy but quite charming and gave good service. There is nothing to do at Green Palace other than sit on your balcony or walk around the small area of land. The grounds are quite nice and the food was pretty good too.

Views from the balcony are great and you are right over the water. The rooms themselves however are pretty rundown and the bathroom was downright scary!

The staff can arrange for Ayurvedic treatments, I booked a massage. At the allotted time, one of the guys will take you on their boat to a little shack about 15-20 minutes away to an Ayurvedic practitioner. While you get your massage, he waits outside and chats to the others there before driving you back home.

Room standards may not be to everyone's tastes, and I probably wouldn't stay again, but it's not terrible overall.

Room Tip: Go for an A/C room in this climate, but be prepared for it to die at regular intervals. Without A/C...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lola_sharp
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed in this resort for a week in the last week of Jan'12. I had a good experience but i never cared to write any reviews. So now when i finally thought to pen down my experience, I was bit surprised to see lot of negative reviews.

I had booked this resort only based on the reviews given in tripadvisor. The reviews that i had read were from average to good. There were no bad reviews.

About my experience -

The resort:
The resort location is excellent. Now this depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. If you're planning to stay for a longer time in allappey, just enjoy the nature, and not much hopping around, then this is the resort to stay. This resort is in an island and they operate their own ferry/boat service to commute between the resort and mainland alappey. Hence accessibility is limited. So not good if you're planning to just stay over in alappey for a night or two. If you want to stay put in Alappey - this is the resort!

Rooms-
Rooms are good! I did not have any issues as far as hygiene is concerned. Now this could a subjective factor ( i did not experience any leakages -as there are no rains in Jan- or infestation at least). But the best thing about the room (which gave me the best experience in Alappey) is the large balcony that opens on to the backwater. The beauty of alappey is in its back waters and this resort is the best option you can get (for the price you're paying) to enjoy the real beauty of Alappey - its backwaters. You could simply do the bird watching from your balcony, watch the house boat (I hate hose boats - explained later) and canoes plying in the back water of Allappey- all from your room. It is such a susegad experience!
The location of the rooms are also amazing. There is a vast paddy field on the east side (you can watch the beautiful sun rise) and back water on the other side (where you can watch the breathtaking sun set and enjoy the colours of Alappey sky!)

Food-
Food is good and punjabi/north indian food is surprisingly good! Kerala gets lot of tourists/travellers from North India. Hence these people here have really learnt to cook good paneer curries. Can't say about non-veg good as i'm a vegan.

Service -
Service was prompt and they did satisfy all my requests. They have a family like approach and take good care of your needs. Shibu (the manager) is a very friendly guy. Sunil is very helpful and responsive.

House boats-
I"ve seen lot of bad reviews regarding house boat bookings done from the hotel. Firstly, before booking any house boat please do read the blogs about house boat (in general). Avoid house boats. They are only commercialized to earn money and are not at all good. There are hygiene issues and they also cause lot of environmental problems. They (houseboats) are largely responsible for polluting the backwaters and affecting the marine life of Allappey. They are run and managed by lobbies only to make money (at any costs). The real beauty of Alappey is in the narrow canals back waters, Houseboats DO NOT ply on narrow canals but on wide lakes. Go for canoeing (that goes through the narrow canal) which can offer you the ultimate experience of Alappey.

The location of the resort is so scenic that lot of houseboats get parked (night halt) around the resort.

So over all it was a great experience. I stayed in this resort for a week and was more than satisfied. I hope they do maintain the same quality of service and facilities that I had experienced.

One major drawback that I would like to mention is the hotel receives lot of groups (students, employees etc) who come for half day (lunch to dinner). Now the groups and the commotion they cause could really spoil the tranquility and serenity that you would want to enjoy. This can become frustrating. During my week's stay there were two groups that had come and had really frustrated the hell out of us. Based on my complain, the manager (Shibu) in fact stopped the music that was being played on the speakers (much to the disappointment of the group). But i appreciated this move of his.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gl0bal_yatri
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The location of the resort by the riverside with water on all sides is excellent.A small boat ride to the resort ignites your excitement.We stayed for a couple of nights from 13th to 15th June2012. You get a real experience of God's Own Country with a lot of greenery and water coupled with a complete village environment.Truly relaxing stay for all those who want to escape from the crowded city life and not wanting spoils of luxuries.The accomodation is basic and good with rooms having good views of the waterfront.More facilities are under construction.There are few independent cottages by the water.Food is also good but do not expect too much.I recommend the local delicacies.Service is also good with the manager Mr.Sabu being very helpful. A vacation here during the monsoon time can be more exclusive and value for money.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Sridharan_G
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Pls never go to their houseboats, I and my cousin from US booked their houseboat in February for which they took 100% advance and our experience was the worst ever.
The staff did not co-operate with us at all, in fact they were most rude.
Food served was yuk.
Nothing about them was worth recommending and above all since we vacated their houseboat in the evening itself they did not have the courtesy of making partial refund...CHEATERS
Never approach them for bookings, you will spoil your trip and time and shall come back with a very bitter experience.

Ishmeet Khurana, Delhi

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank gurukirpa_72
Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

Hi all, please avoid this hotel. This is not well maintained.also owners cheated us by booking a house boat for 10500 when the same was available for 7000. Also rooms had lizards. rooms were not clean.

• Stayed: June 2012