“A Good Homestay if you don't expect much”
Review of Ashtamudi Homestay

Ashtamudi Homestay
Ranked #22 of 68 Hotels in Alappuzha
“A Good Homestay if you don't expect much”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed in this homestay for 1 night in Feb 2014. The place is located in a narrow lane after YMCA in Allepey town. The place is very narrow and hardly enough to fit a taxi. During check-in our taxi driver somehow managed to get into the lane as we had luggage, but later in the evening, he dropped us at the starting of the lane and asked us to walk.
As soon as we checked in, the owner Uma promptly gave us the WiFi password for my smartphone and bombarded with all the required info like restaurants, places to visit etc. We booked an AC room due to fear of mosquitoes but we later realized it was wise decision because of the weather which was very humid. so, we left the AC on and went for dinner hoping the room would be cooled when we returned. But, it was not the case.
The mattress were a bit hard, but for the price we were paying it was okay. But, the couple who stayed on top were very noisy in the night as it was a wooden flooring. we ourself found the room lacking privacy and the bathroom looked like a makeshift attachment. No problems with hot water as they mentioned that they would be providing hot water in a bucket and they promptly provided with the required number at the time we requested for.
Overall a good homestay if you are staying for a longer period, else it is better to book an hotel instead.

Room Tip: Choose corner rooms or rooms in first floor as the front rooms lacked privacy.
3 Thank Avula N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
Rajkot
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I and my wife stayed at Ashtamudi homestay in February. It is a very well maintained homestay by Uma and Subash. The couple is very hardworking and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable. Bamboo rooms are indeed novel, we liked them too. Breakfast cooked by Uma was very delicious. Her management is excellent. Also, we had gone for overnight houseboat trip which was arranged by Uma & Subash. It was Subash's brother's houseboat. It was a memorable experience with wonderful backwaters & delicious food. The houseboat was very clean. They had also arranged for a beautiful flower decoration for us. I highly recommend Ashtamudi homestay..

Room Tip: Bamboo rooms provide unique experience.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank drparin
Ranchi, India
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I came to Alappuzha after my Ernakukula, Munnar & Thekkaddy visit.The season was hot and I was cool down by A Bottle of Chilled water. I felt as if I have came to some one who is Kith and keen to us. Location is good. I liked the food quality at reasonable price. I was astonished to see that farewell tea was ready at 4:45 am and at 5:00 AM Uma was in the Gate before departure.I Don't know how to thank the couple Uma and Subash. God bless them.

Room Tip: Bamboo Room I liked.
2 Thank subas_ranchi
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 12 February 2014

A nice house at a good location, but the best Uma and Subash! It was a real pleasure to meet them. From Uma we received all the tourist help we needed, from checking prices for rickshaw, hiring a boat, buying train tickets and even preparing for us a farewell Indian tea at 6:00 in the morning before our departure! Many thanks!

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

If you are looking for a homely experience in Alappuzha during your trip, go for Ashtamudi home stay...Bamboo rooms are very nice.. feel a different experience staying there..Cannot forget Subash and Uma..Very nice people to interact...Thanks a lot..

Room Tip: Bamboo rooms are very nice..
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Ahmedabad
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Located close to YMCA road, probably town's one of main roads, the homestay is slightly interior. While passing through the lane to reach there we were wandering about the stay which turned to be great – indeed homestay. Quickly after simple check in, the owner – manager lady came to us to brief us about the city & route to main places of interest.
The same lady prepared mouth watering dosa & coffee for our breakfast! The room was okay for overnight stay.
This is certainly recommended to experience when the stay is short and you are willing to spend time in town, not just staying in room.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

I Visited this place with my wife and I was more than happy with the amount I spent and above all the hospitality by Uma, her husband Subhash and Subhash's brother...
I stayed in the Homestay for only 1 day. The food was good and so were the owners. You never feel like you are a stranger. They treat you so well. I also booked the Houseboat through them and trust me, this was the best part of my tour. The food on houseboat, the people and their behaviour was exceptionally good.
Thank you for making my trip amazingly wonderful.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple