“'Floating houses'”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$80.00*
and up
Kochi Private Tour: Kerala Backwater Houseboat...
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: House boats, shikkara boat, canoe tour, backwater village tour, Accommodation, package tour, Taxi, services, ayurvedic massage, etc..
Reviewed 28 May 2014

February 2014. That was my first time in Kerala and more so Alappuzha. The narrow winding roads seem to be a feature of the city. Fortunately I discovered that Kerala has beaches and boat houses which will forever be engraved in my mind. My Malayalee friend had booked this private water floating gadget a month in advance for one full day (bless his soul) and the rest was up to us to jump on to the boat with all the excitement of three-year olds. We were not worried a bit about the safety of the car because they were private parking spaces on the shores manned by different contracts. The driver would hold out a hand for each person to enter and asked politely that we take up position on the well laid look alike red velvet cushion filled bed situated in the center of the boat. You had options of resting on the bed, gazing into the water, sitting on the available chairs or meditate with all the calmness around. We took a round trip through the core backwater area, looking at the green water, over 100 bigger boats, women hitting the clothes on the stones located on the shores, duck farming, movement of smaller boats ridden by women and children. Since our boat did not have a kitchen, the driver recommended some of the best make shift restaurants for a meal. True to his word, the freshly caught fish and the big grained white rice Kerala is famous for was worth the stop over and filling. Some other local delicacies made out of rice powder and duck were available at a cheaper price. "Indeed...so many movies have been shot here" was on the driver's lips and am yet to see them since he wrote them down for me on a piece of paper. The natives seemed unbothered by tourists from Africa, America or Europe. Some would try once in a while to ask 'what country..what country.' The honeymooners could be seen stealing kisses on the shores and from their private boats. 5 pm, he made the trip to the docks indicating government regulations on anchoring before dark.

1  Thank Kakbee
in 11 reviews
"day cruise"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I've been here in feb 2014. When I arrived I didn't like it, I thought it was a touristic place and the city center was too crowdy and interesting at all. At the end I've found my dimension here and I stayed 10 days more or less. I slept at the sea shore, a beautiful place on the beach. It wasn't a luxury place but the owner and his wife were like a family to me at the end of the trip.
The backwaters are amazing obviously, I would not suggest to sleep in the boat cos after a while it's boring.
There is also an Indian coffee house near the beach and it's really good and cheap.
I hang out at Mandela. An hotel on the beach. Really nice atmosphere and nice owners!
I would like to go back there, walking on the beach and take my time in front of a sunset. I suggest a visit!

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I visited Alleppey in May 2014 as part of our package tour to Kerala. I had booked through goibibo and Lakelands cruise had arranged for a houseboat (Emerald). It was an amazing experience. We fell in love with the boat the moment we laid our foot in it. It had a luxurious swing right in the middle of the deck, well maintained interiors and comfortable bedroom with tv, ac and attached bathroom. There were 3 crew members in all for our service (Xavier, Kuriackose and Vinish). We were served with utmost hospitality during our stay. We checked in at 12.30 and started the cruise almost immediately. We were served a welcome drink and then served lunch at 1.30 p.m. The lunch was prepared by Vinish, the chef, and was authentic Kerala veg cuisine (rice, sambar, curd kadi, 2 vegetable dishes, papadam, mango pickle) since we are vegetarians. While the food was satiating and delicious, the cruise was breath-taking and enchanting throughout. We docked the boat by 5.30 p.m. and then took a walk in the nearby villages. We retired early after a sumptuous dinner and star-gazing experience.

5 stars to the boat and the crew for making our experience so memorable.

3  Thank Kalyanikumar
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was a day trip that I made between a business trip , and every moment spent was worth it............ the concept of lining in water itself was thrilling , knowing that the see is deep ........... people still choose to live ON it, the thought of roaming around the area in al kinds of boat was thrilling. small boats , snake boats, house boats palace boats :) everything about this place was amazing. Totally magical.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The trip to Kerala was a thrilling and rejuvenating experience. The planning and execution of the tour was very well coordinated the moment we handed over our request to the team of www.Paradised.in . The requirement of the tourist was well understood and the planning was done by the team of www.paradised.in.

Visiting Kerala 'Venice of the East' was an Unique Experience. Please click the link :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0YxFMeFUbQ&feature=youtu.be

Every bit of our travel arrangements, hotel bookings, tours were taken care of this team lead by Ms. Leena Nambiar of Paradised.in from Kerala, India.

I would not hesitate to recommend Paradised.in to anyone visiting Kerala, India to have a memorable, and fantastice Experience.

1  Thank Finch Hattons T