“EXCELLENT”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Keraleeyam Ayurvedic Resort
Ranked #42 of 68 Hotels in Alappuzha
Beirut, Lebanon
“EXCELLENT”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had an incredible stay at this resort! If you are nature lovers looking for a moment of peace at the heart of the Indian jungle, this is the place to be. The location and view couldn't be better, as it is litteraly ON the backwaters of Aleppei. The massages are fantastic, food is excellent as well, open shower under the palm trees... The dream!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed here for 6 days for a basic ayurveda treatment. As I had done some research before booking this rustic resort, I knew what I was getting myself into and I was not shocked to find the wooden cabins with roofs of palm leaves. Of course, you could pay a huge amount of money for a fancy and modern yoga & ayurveda resort where you are completely isolated, but that was not what I was looking for.

I booked an A/C cottage. I was really glad I did this because this meant that my cottage was completely covered. The non-A/C cottage had some parts of the roof 'open' to let the breeze in, and the toilet is also opened to the sky. This meant that it was possible for rodents to enter the cottage. And this happened to my neighbour who suffered several nights with a rodent scurrying around.

There are other types of rooms and cottages available, but the rooms (not cottages) would be around the main dining area which meant that one would get all the noises from the kitchen and breakfast / dinner crowd.

For ayurveda treatment, you consult a doctor on your first day, and then, the doctor would prescribe the correct type of oil for you, and even some medications to be taken before, after your meals. You would be informed of the time of your ayurveda treatment each day, and someone will come and collect you at that time. You spend the rest of the day before and after your treatment, relaxing by the canal. There are some excursions to town, or along the canals organised by the resort.

Even though some tourists living in the resort may complain that they are being gawked at by the passengers in passing houseboats, I never felt my privacy was invaded. In fact, I really enjoyed looking at the beautiful houseboats and occasionally waving at passing tourists. I even enjoyed looking at the locals taking the boats back and forth the canals as they go about their daily lives.

One big problem is the huge number of crows living in the trees around the cottages which cause quite a ruckus at 5am when they wake up for the day. But this is what it is like to live closer to nature.

My most favourite part of the stay was the excellent, attentive staff and very delicious food cooked by the kitchen. I love almost everything that I ordered. Fantastic chef, kudos to him!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank aycanela
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The resort is located fairly close to Allepy; convenient 2 minute/50 rupee tuktuk ride to downtown, but there can be a fair amount of traffic on the water. The room was nice - loved showering in the sun. The food was pretty good. My wife loved her massage, but, well, I just don't think ayurvedic massage is for me. Overall, very relaxing.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights but we ran away after a night's stay. The approach road is narrow and very dusty along a small canal with muddy weedy waters. The cottages have paint chipping off the walls, no phone service from the rooms to the reception and for the food we have to place an order 2 hours in advance and the food is not that great. When you take a walk in the resort, it stinks of pigeon poo. The staff were helpful and sweet, but the stay was not very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank N B

Travellers are raving about these Alappuzha hotels

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed here for a week, my main intention was to read couple of books i had to finish & was looking for a peaceful place, i arrive on a Friday early morning around 6 AM , people at resort are very helpful they allowed me to check-in even if the rulebook said 12PM checkin. Food is average, services are good, location is ok. maintenance is also ok they clean everyday.
But the major terrible part is houseboat traffic....its like staying next to any freeway or highway. lot of houseboat traffic, noise, blaring music on passing boats....even at late nights. i would absolutely not recommend to stay here...

Room Tip: There is none, its absolutely bang on next to lake where there is lot of boat traffic is flowing
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank NYtraveller001
Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We booked 2 cottages for our stay. Although the location is just beautiful, we can see the house boats pass by while sitting on the porch, the condition of the resort itself is very bad and definitely not worth the money we paid. Every other hotel or homestay was booked, so we opted for Keraleeyam Resorts which was not a pleasant memory. The rooms were dirty, when we untied the mosquito net, along with it fell dead insects and lots of dust. There was a leak in the ceiling and water fell directly on the bed when it started raining. We booked a boat through the resorts for one hour but we weren't satisfied with the experience. We would have been better off booking a smaller boat where we could sit and watch the river instead of being cramped up in the boat with wooden walls around us. We went out for the day, they were gracious enough to lend us their umbrellas. By the time we came back to the resort, (BTW, we have to walk on a muddy road for atleast 10 minutes to reach the resort from the road) it was around 9 in the night and imagine our shock when one of our cottages was flooded with water and our bags were wet. We went back to the management and they came and checked our room, we had to show them the leak before they finally agreed to let us change rooms and we had to move all our bags to the room in the rain, not a fun experience.

The staff weren't too happy about us bringing our bags along with us, I just cant figure out how they expect us to leave ours bags in the flooded room. We ended up staying in a cheaper room, they didn't apologize or offer to return our money for making us stay in a cheaper room. The food in the restaurant was definitely delicious.

Overall, the experience was definitely not good. The rooms were dirty, the property is not maintained well and the place is over priced, we stayed in 4 different resorts in Kerala, this was the most expensive one and happens to be the dirtiest with poor service of all of them.

Room Tip: The cottages have open bathrooms, so pick the inside rooms if you have a problem with it.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sinduri84
Seattle
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Clean and pleasant (in February 2011, single Rs 1700, double Rs 2040). Located right on the main canal between Alleppey and Vermaband Lake. about 3 km north of “downtown”. We stayed in the thatch bungalows, which are two-story structures (we had upstairs rooms, with balconies overlooking the canal). They were quite atmospheric, well-crafted and interestingly ventilated (non-ac, fans inside and on the balcony). Good mosquito nets. Requires perhaps 100 yards of walking from the nearest vehicle approach along the south side of a small canal to the poorly marked entrance (no problem for most folks, might be for a few people). The virtue of this displacement from the roads is quiet. Perhaps a bit pricey for Alleppey. Has reasonably priced (and reasonably good) restaurant in complex (charges added to your hotel bill). From what we heard (and saw), Malayalam Resort has most of the same virtues (except for less attractive and less interestingly crafted bungalows) and is a bit less pricey.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends