“Welcoming host in a smart and comfortable home”
Review of Motty's Homestay

Motty's Homestay
Ranked #30 of 68 Hotels in Alappuzha
London, United Kingdom
“Welcoming host in a smart and comfortable home”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

While visiting Kerala, we stayed in very nice hotels but none had Motty's personal touch. Motty's guests are very well taken care of from start to finish, starting with a lovely drink, plan and very helpful advice on where to go in town. Motty can organise any trips and pampering you fancy, which makes the stay easy and relaxing. The place is so lovely that you will feel at home straight away. One piece of advice: stay for diner or lunch. His wife is a super cook! Our only regret is that we couldn't stay longer!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I returned to Motty's for the 2nd time in March this year. Motty is a very warm, welcoming, enthusiastic and friendly host. Always eager to share a drink and a chat on the veranda before dinner. The house a short walk to the heart of Allepey, which is fun to explore on foot, especially with Motty's map and insider tips! The house is on a quiet street and set in a peaceful garden. I really enjoyed Lali's cooking and sharing a dinner with them was the best way to relax after a busy day exploring the area. The breakfast were a highlight for me, I particularly remember an amazing breakfast of egg curry and fresh water melon juice. Lali shared some of her amazing recipes with me which I have been trying out at home. A backwater trip that Motty organised was one of the highlights of my whole trip. Both visits I've felt very at home and comfortable and have loved staying with Motty, Lali and Jack (the dog). I can't wait to come back. If you visit Kerala I can't recommend staying here enough!

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was in a separate guest house in the garden on the top floor. It was very spaci...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Gail B
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 9 June 2014

i stayed at motty´s place and it was just wonderful.
it´s like a small hidden paradise in the middle of allepey
motty and lali are just 2 lovely warmhearted hosts and their house is just a perfect base to discover kerala. you feel comfortable and protected and perfectly guided. motty knows all the good places and his recommendations are deep insider tips.
especially his personal organized backwater boat trips. you won´t see other tourists.
i can´t imagine that there´s another place in kerala more sweet and special like motty´s homestay. i hope nobody reads this and i can still get a room at motty´s next time i come to india. i already miss motty, lali and jack the sweet crazy dog
5 stars !!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at motty's for 2 nights in November 2013 and found it to be one of the best experiences on my trip to Kerala.

When I stayed it was motty's birthday and I and the other guests were invited to join his surprise party giving us a real taste of Indian family life.

My room was very grand especially compared to most of the places I had stayed. Motty's wife cooked my breakfast and dinner each day and I got to sample authentic and simple Indian cuisine that I would never have know to order in a restaurant.

Motty helped me plan a boat trip which involved having a breakfast and lunch in the back garden of a villager friend of his. No tourist board could organise this! And the boat trip was spectacular seeing all the villages and village life. I felt quite smug not being in a polluting diesel powered houseboat but in a hand paddled canoe. Not that I did any paddling....too hot!

So all in all motty's is great. If you feel awkward about eating with a local family and sharing their home then stay in generic chain hotel. This is what homestays are all about! It was quite a bit more expensive than anywhere else I stayed. Not sure why but the experiences Motty provided, money cannot buy those

Thank you Motty! And sorry this took me so long

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Bassussarry, France
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Though we arrived unexpectedly late (early evening) on a Sunday, and Mr Motty was temporarily absent for family reasons, his housekeeper showed us to our room. It was spacious, with a very high bed, a spectacular 19th century antique with a firm mattress. There was air conditioning. The bathroom was quaint and retro, but big and functional. We were served cool drinks in the rear patio. Mr Motty soon arrived and offered me another Kingfisher beer. Our white-clad host was a cordial, funny, erudite and cultivated gentleman. He prepared us a tasty, savory dinner and joined us for stimulating conversation.
In the morning, Mr Motty volunteered to give us a compressed but very informative tour along the streets and canals of Alleppey; the highlight was coffee at the locally famous Indian Coffee house, a tradition among the locals. Great coffee, great prices, great uniformed waiters.
We should have taken Mr Motty up on his personalized Backwater tour of the smaller byways, inaccessible to bigger tourist boats, but we unfortunately didn't have the time, and I daresay my wife wouldn't have enjoyed waking up that early (6am) on her holiday.
All in alI, I highly recommend the Motty homestay. The house is virtually a museum with a dreamy colonial feel. Mr Motty is a great host. And he'll introduce you to the authentic, local life in this charming Kerala town.

Room Tip: I slept well, but my wife, who is a light sleeper, was awakened several times by fruit bats making t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
kent
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay with Motty and Lally at their comfortable and homely home stay.They made us so welcome and we left feeling like old friends.
Plenty to see and do in and around Aleppey,and the backwater trips were amazing, beautiful bird life and scenery. Would love to return sometime and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank poppyanna43
Liphook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

A perfect base for exploring Alleppey and the backwaters - Motty and Lali were wonderful company and most helpful, organising great experiences for us during our short stay. We especially enjoyed a day on the backwaters, visiting Lalji's village home for breakfast and lunch and spotting abundant birdlife from a canoe. We have come away with wonderful memories, great photos and some amazing recipes. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple