“Awsome”
other travellers have booked this property
Full Exterior View of Pournamis' 4 Bedroom Luxury Houseboat
Luxury Bedroom in Pournamis' 4 Bedroom Luxury Houseboat Wash Area in Pournami 4 bedroom Luxury Houseboat
Check Availability
Bedroom Art in Pournamis' 4 Bedroom Luxury Houseboat
Bed and Bedroom art in Pournamis' 4 Bedroom Luxury Houseboat
Wash Room in Pournamis' 4 Bedroom Luxury Houseboat
Shower Area in Pournamis' 4 Bedroom Luxury Houseboat
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Armaan K
“Awsome”
Reviewed 10 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

We rented a 4 bedroom houseboat for one night from Pournami houseboats after seeing multiple TripAdvisor reviews.

Our booking experience with M/s Parvathy Nair coordinator Pournami Houseboats was very good & without any issues. We reached the boarding point at about 11:00 pm and the coordinator promptly escorted us to the boat.

The other thing which was awesome was the food. As requested, it was entirely vegetarian & non vegetarian the cook was just great. It was like eating home cooked food, which was most welcome since Dinner, lunch & breakfast the next day, all were just great.

The only draw back was the power situation - horrible! i day time it was very hot in during day on the boat at night The ACs worked the entire 8 hours as promised though.

Excellent service, friendly crew, good food and clean rooms... Travelling with family and kids, its very enjoyable

Your age range 35-49
alok s
“Bad experience”
Reviewed 9 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

We were 3 families (Total 12 (5 kids)) on kerala trip. After going through the reviews on trip advisor we settled on Pournami houseboat for our Alleppey house boat stay for 21/05/2017. Booking process was smooth with Ms. Parvathy Prakash (Pournami Booking coordinator) and the amount was fixed with all levies and taxes. We made advance payment of @25% and agreed to pay the remaining amount at houseboat. Till advance payment we were under the impression that Pournami accepts 3 modes of payment a) All cards b) Paypal invoice c) NEFT/Cash deposit which was mentioned in their booking terms. However after the advance payment during the confirmation mail all the modes of payment were removed and only Cash payment was mentioned which we did not notice.
We reached Alleppey @13:30 as against 11:30 checkin time and we hurried to the houseboat and requested them to start our trip since we had already lost time. They told me they will not start the houseboat until we make full payment. I immediately transferred the total amount online through my mobile and showed them the confirmation to their coordinator (Mr. Hari) present there. Still they were not ready to start our trip. After due deliberations with office staff who was very rude on phone and was shameless asking us to pay rs. 1600/- in addition to the amount already paid as tax since I had made payment online. I understood that I had to make payment in cash and not online transfer. I did not agree to this. The staff onboard was reluctant to start our trip until they get confirmation from office staff. They delayed our trip by 1 more hour and then started after they received confirmation from their senior personnel. They did not even bother that we are all families with small kids. This type of behavior is not expected from Pourmani who claim they are premium service providers and charge also heavily for the same. Our trip started at @14:45 and they parked the boat @17:00. Imagine what pain we have gone through with such time wastage inspite of paying premium amount.
I don’t have complaint @ boat or staff available on board. We really enjoyed a lot onboard. The review submitted by me in hard copy on house boat is strictly regarding onboard house boat service and not about the booking process.
My only point is our government is pushing on digitization in India (Digital India initiative) and the fake companies like these still want to transact in cash and thereby evade taxes.

Your age range 35-49
11 Jun 2017
Dear sir, happy to know that you enjoyed the trip. So its clear that your one star review is not justifiable.

Please learn something about the tax system in India. All taxes are to be paid by the customer and not the company. The companies job is just to collect the tax and hand it over to the government. The reality is you did not pay the tax for your trip. So ultimately we are at loss because we failed to collect tax from you and we will have to give this amount from our pocket. We suffered this loss and permitted you to travel because we do not want to ruin a guests vacation. Please stop taking this platform to spread false stories.
Anjeeta C
“If you want to ruin your trip book these guys”
Reviewed 8 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

If you value your every penny do not book these guys.

The person who is concerned of booking the house boat is paravthy I had communicated with her and booked a house boat for 9 people the house boat charges the lady booked was for 17000 and odd amount I made advance payment and had confirmed with her that remaining amount will be paid though swipe which she had agreed upon. I received a mail with the food preferences for 9people I informed them about 5 being veg and 4being non veg. The games starts there after when we reached the house boat since there were lots of diversions during our visit instead of reaching at 12 pm which is a check-in time we reached by 2 but obviously not our fault. On our arrival we met a person called as Vinod who happens to b a manger and he started the blame like you are too late he did not have the manners to talk I told him it wasn't our fault either but he kept of repeating the same thing as if he had discounted the tour after that he told me I have to make a payment for which I told him I'll be making the pmnt through my card which was agreed with Parvathy but he said we don't have the machine and after an argument he asked me to make a payment through net banking Pls keep in mind the boat had not starteed . Vinod told us we will not hault the boat instead for lunch and give u extra 1/2 an hour of ride.
After making the payment the boat started and then there were 3people in the boat the captain a cook and a helper.
Now comes the food part guys they have a started food menu which I got to know after the food was served till the time of booking or payment nothing was mentioned about the food
Rice, sambhar, cabbage bhaji, beet Rita, fish fry,mix vegetable and papad
After paying 18000 this is the food I'll getbfor lunch. I asked the cook if he could something else he said we don't have any other items we get limited stuff as per menu

These guys have a set up where they will take u to local fishermen and will tell u apart from the food if u wish to buy the fish from the fishermen we will cook for u without charges the Fisher men charges double the rates for the fish so it's up to u if u want I did not but cause it was dam costly and secondly it was not tht fresh.

Onion bhajiya or fried bananas it's or and not both OK and tea or coffee

In evening by 5 pm they parked us at location we did some fishing by the time it was evening the helpers covered the boat with a net however that could not stop the mosquitoes cause the net was torn too and since if was hot the ac time was 9pm we had no option but to stick on the deck and let the mosquitoes suck our blood.

Rice, Dal, chicken, chapatti, salad .agaim the same thing standard food

Ac started at 9 but the ac I guess are very old hence the expected cooling is not there so u have to start the wall fan but still u can fill the heat.

Morning sharp by 6am they turned off the ac they are so particular about their stuff. Morning u wake up and guess what the is no hot water u tell the boat guys and they say it will come till 7.30 there was no hot water we had kids along with us we and no option but to take bath with cold water.
Morning breakfast : don't expect anything good it's just idli chutney jam butter bread tea and coffee.

Sharp by 9 am they dropped us back at the pickup point.

Guys after all this experience I will never recommend this house host to anyone. I guess they serve good things only to foreigners but to our own country crowd they treat as garbage.
There r many other house boats better then this don't go on reviews by foreigners and of u don't want to waste ur money and ruin ur trip don't book them and if u want to try pournami then b smart and check all the things before making payments and boarding the house boats

11 Jun 2017
If you value your every penny do not book these guys.

We did an inquiry about this matter, this is a baseless allegation as many guests travel from Munnar and Thekkady and reach late for the trip. There is no reason for our manager to blame you because it's your trip and we do not incur any expense when the boat starts late.

Also we have called you informing you how much time it will take to reach Alleppey. Still you started at your own time and finally when you reached late we are sorry we cannot do anything on it. still we said we are ready to provide continuous cruising without providing lunch break to our staff.

The swiping machine had some technical issues, due to that it was asked to make the payment online.

Rice, sambhar, cabbage bhaji, beet Rita, fish fry,mix vegetable and papad

Please note that this is not a star hotel or does not have a menu preferences like hotels. We serve standard Kerala meals for all our guests unless special requests are made prior to the trip.

Please note that this is not the case with Pournami, but also with other houseboats. There is a std menu which was already communicated and if you need any change you could have informed us in prior so that we can update it accordingly .

We do remember you shouting at our reservation staff that cabbage is a dish which is eaten by local people in your place. These kind of complaints we are getting for the first time as it's a common dish in kerala traditional menu

Our business has no relation with local businesses, its your wish to buy or not to buy fish. We always suggest our guests not to buy fish from the local market as it is expensive.

Onion bhajiya or fried bananas it's or and not both OK and tea or coffee

This is the standard snacks that we provide unless something is asked for prior to the booking. The boat contains limited grocery items for the trip and everything cannot be provided on demand as you are in the middle of a lake.

Rice, Dal, chicken, chapatti, salad .agaim the same thing standard food

This is the standard dinner menu and we provide this to all our customers unless specific requests are made prior to the trip.

If you had issues with the cooling of the AC u should have informed our operations team. We have placed the contact details if any help is needed.

Sharp by 9 am they dropped us back at the pickup point.

Dear madam, please do some groundwork about your trip, do not expect a 5 star hotel treatment and facility in a houseboat. You had the wrong impression of the traditional houseboat trip, you just went by the price. If the charge of your flight ticket is more then do you expect them to give you more service than the usual one ? We have provided everything that we promised and we do not treat foreign guests in a separate way. You can go through our reviews and you can find more reviews from our local customers. We have the handwritten review provided by you and none of these issues are mentioned in that.

We acknowledge this review and we did a detailed analysis on the issues mentioned and please find the detailed response

Anjeeta :

Pournami:
We provided extra cruising time to compensate your loss which was not due to our fault, but you have responded in an inappropriate way showing your grudge on us.

Pournami:
The swiping machine had some technical issues, due to this reason it was asked to make the payment online.

Pournami:
Please note that this is not the case with Pournami, but also with other houseboats. There is a standard menu which was already communicated and if you need any change you should have informed us prior so that we can make necessary arrangements.

Our staff also told us that you shouted at our reservation staff that cabbage is a dish which is eaten by “loca”l people in your place. These kind of complaints we are getting for the first time as it's a common dish in Kerala traditional menu

Pournami:
Our business has no relation with local businesses, it's your wish to buy or not to buy fish. We always suggest our guests not to buy fish from the local market as it is expensive.

Pournami:
Dear madam, please do some groundwork about the place you are travelling to and what accommodation you are going to stay at, do not expect a 5 star hotel treatment and facility in a houseboat. You had the wrong impression of the traditional houseboat trip, you just went by the price. If the charge of your flight ticket is more then do you expect them to give you more service than the usual one? We have provided everything that we promised and we do not treat foreign guests in a separate way. You can go through our reviews and you can find more reviews from our local customers. We have the handwritten review provided by you and none of these issues are mentioned in that.
NiloyKB
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Not as Expected”
Reviewed 2 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

The entire package was extremely costly.Also we were 14 persons. We had a 4 bedded Houseboat ( Pournami IV) that picked us from Alleppey and they told that they will park another 2 bedded houseboat after 6 Pm where 4 of us will go. The trip started off very well and we enjoyed. After 2 Pm they parked and served us lunch. The food was tasty but keeping in mind of the cost of booking I thought there could have been more variety ( Atleast 2 types of fish instead of 1). After 5.30 Pm they parked the boat beside a village, we did a bit fishing but after dark things were not too good. First they covered the entire boat with cloth in order to prevent mosquitoes or insects but that also blocked the view. Also as per rule AC was supposed to switch on after 9 Pm and so the rooms were extremely hot & suffocating ( even during daytime). So we stayed on the deck and chatted and watched TV a bit. Dinner was served around 8.30 Pm and once again more variety was expected. Taste & quantity of food was good though. The 2nd boat arrived after sometime and those guys who stayed there had a bad experience. 1st there was smell of diesel in the rooms which stayed all night. Also the bathroom there was also not good. Again in the morning there was no water in the main boat till 6 AM. Hot water service was plenty though after 6 Pm. They started to move after 7 AM. Breakfast was served shortly and it was good. Around 9 AM they parked the boat from the point where we boarded.
The crew behavior was prompt and good.
If you are looking for a unique experience of spending a night at a Houseboat then go for it but if you want proper backwater trip then stay at a hotel and hire a small boat that will also take you to narrow canals & villages where these big boats will not be able to reach.

5 Jun 2017
Due to an unexpected technical issue with our power supply system, we could not render our services fully.
Also in this season we are restricted to have the village walk..

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and we will definitely take your feedback to improve our service.
Subhashre...
“I would definitely prefer to stay at a resort & do a day trip in the backwaters”
Reviewed 29 May 2017 for a stay in May 2017
people found this review helpful

We rented a 2 bedroom houseboat for one night from Pournami houseboats after seeing multiple TripAdvisor reviews.

First off, our booking experience with Pournami Houseboats was very good & without any issues. We reached the boarding point only at about 2:00 pm and the coordinator promptly escorted us to the boat.

The other thing which was awesome was the food. As requested, it was entirely vegetarian & the cook was just great. It was like eating home cooked food, which was most welcome since we had just had 3 days of hotel food in Munnar. Dinner, lunch & breakfast the next day, all were just great.

Unfortunately, these were the only two things that we truly enjoyed about our overnight houseboat trip. Everything else was a let down vis a vis our expectations.

Foremost amongst them was the power situation - horrible! Inverter was not working on the boat & we were just on generator most of the time. Result, diesel stink & a constant whirring sound in the boat. They could not fix it the entire time. Even the next day morning, they said no hot water in the bath rooms since we are on generator! The ACs worked the entire 8 hours as promised though.

The crew of 2 while polite were mostly curt (mainly the driver) & not very responsive to our requests. "Can we see the rice fields - no, they are all submerged." "Can we do a village walk - what village, what walk?" "Can the kids handle the steering wheel with you at least when you are docked - are you kidding me?" Ok what can we do other than just sit on the houseboat - follow our set itinerary of buying icecream from guy on the boat, snacks & seafood from where we will stop & after we dock we may let you watch TV if we like you enough"

After we docked, it started pouring cats & dogs and the crew pulled down the tarpaulin & everything and we sort of got jailed in the boat, like solitary confinement! No TATA Sky also they said, its unsafe! With nothing else to do, we went to bed by 9pm. The next morning was better, but the "no hot water" dented our spirits.

I don't want to go on & on. Maybe we chose the wrong month to visit; maybe expectations were too high. Maybe we were too tired from the travel from Munnar & the power situation just drove us over the edge. But with the benefit of hindsight, personally, I would just prefer to stay at a resort & do a daytrip in the backwaters to enjoy the sights that we saw like village life along the canals etc.

Also given how long it takes to go from place to place in Kerala, a 2 day trip is advisable for Alappuzha versus the 1 day you will normally find in most itineraries.

Note: The houseboat we rented had small bedrooms. With 2 adults & a kid in each room, it was a cramped overnight stay for us.

jjohnbrig...
Chennai (Madras), India
“Pleasant experience”
Reviewed 29 May 2017 for a stay in May 2017

nram1983
Chennai (Madras), India
“Great experience!”
Reviewed 28 May 2017 for a stay in May 2017

It was a great experience and boats were very neat & clean.They are very friendly and Foods that they served was nice.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing