“Couldnt Stay as Booking Managed Very Unprofessionally”

and 1 more site!
Palmgrove Lake Resort
Ranked #16 of 67 Hotels in Alappuzha
Chennai (Madras), India
“Couldnt Stay as Booking Managed Very Unprofessionally”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I am sure, based on the reviews, that the place must be a decent place to stay based but they need to fix their booking process. Here is how it went for me:

I called up the resort and since the lady who picked up the phone couldn't speak English (no cribs here, as it shows my inability to converse in Malayalam), I called up the mobile no. given. A lady picked up the home - could be owner/manager who was very courteous and offer to call back within 5 mins to confirm availability and tariff. Here is where I erred. I asked her not to bother and that she can send an email. I sent her an email immediately after the call, referring to the call and checking availability and tariff. I got a response a day later from Mr. Abraham Philips. Based on suggestion I logged in my booking request immediately on the website and also confirmed the booking for a Lakeview AC Suite on the email asking for method for advance payment. To my surprise I get a response a day later that few rooms are available and I will have to book for a minimum of two days. Now I had waited for two days, lost out on my alternative options due to busy Nehru Boat Race event, to be given this shock! I called up the lady again and she chatted with Mr. Abraham in background and informed that she will send an email. Finally, not getting any response, I went ahead booked elsewhere. Felt really taken for a ride though it may have been less intentional more amateurish

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vansid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Great location good cottage (delux) , property manager manoj was polite and nice.cook was helpful and did his best from limited menu .OK restaurant . but they can keep some cycles (kayaks were unavailable during our stay) for residents to roam around ,as resort location is great to peddle around....
but we felt not value for money,limited menu ,access to town and limited activities in "resort"

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Good location. Takes a bit of searching at first, but well worth it if you're looking for a secluded spot. Friendly and helpful staff. Taxis and transport arranged on request, no hassles - with the arrangements or with the drivers.
Good food. No issues with the cleanliness.
Family run. Well managed.

• Stayed December 2012
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 18 April 2013

To begin with, we were booked in another resort across the channel- Bamboo Lagoon. But due to some restoration work we were offered this resort a week before our stay. So, to be fair I was sceptical about this change. The resort has 6 spacious cottages facing the back waters, so location wise its a great place. The only things that somewhat irked me was the timings of the restaurant, almost non-existent room service. The cottage was huge, spotless clean, with an open area shower and a sit-out too. Now the not so good part- the ac was in a bad state, refrigerator was only used as a side table.
If you are looking for a place to just unwind and relax, with no disturbance at all, its a place you should consider. For me, I found the place unusually quiet and strange. I only saw 2 guys managing everything during my two day stay. Seems the place would have been a hot spot once but is past its glory days now. A lot could be done to make the stay better.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lake facing ac cottage and was good
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I really needed to stay at a peaceful resort at this point in my trip. Palm Grove really fit the bill. It is a "no frills" place, so you cannot go into it thinking that you will get five star treatment. It is more about unwinding and enjoying the backwater life and disconnecting for a couple of days.
My only complaint is that the mattresses were not comfortable. If they could be upgraded, then it would be perfect. I felt a little like I was camping here.
The food was average, but that is fine. It was hygenic and I did not get sick.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laurie D
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Half a dozen or so clean bungalows on a quiet piece of land on one of the canals. Outdoor (courtyard) bathrooms are a nice feature, if you don't mind sharing with a few insects. Restaurant could only do half the items on the small menu. Had no alcohol. Staff a little strange but not unfriendly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 March 2013

It's a nice, simple and sweet resort located next to the backwaters. Very serene and peaceful. It was a lucky find by my husband and I. And we liked it so much that we kept on extending our stay and ended up staying for 4days. You can enjoy your evening tea in the verandah looking at the houseboats as they cruise by gently on the backwaters. It has only 6 cottages, so if you want that quiet resort and not-too-rushed-up-hotel feeling, then this is the place for you. The rooms were clean, the bathrooms huge and with an open shower. You can actually enjoy the greenery and look at the sky from the shower!

The manager, Suresh, is very friendly and chatty. He's been working there for a long time now (almost 6years I think). The food was good and served in generous quantities! I really liked the masala chai, so much so that I had to ask Suresh how it was made!

Great value for money :)

Room Tip: Choose a cottage closer to the backwaters. Great view with your evening tea :)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple