“AMAZING PLACE! Great hotel in beautiful setting and fantastic excellent-value houseboat arrangements”

Palmgrove Lake Resort
Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Alappuzha
London
Reviewed 18 August 2013

*** TIP: Ask Joseph (manager) to book an overnight houseboat tour for you - he has some seriously good value connections! ***

Palm Grove is so perfectly located in the most beautiful setting right on the water front, with palm trees everywhere, extremely comfy beds, lovely outdoor bathrooms and fantastic food.

We arrived in Alleppey in the blistering heat of summer, having had to change our plans, stressed and unsure where to stay or how to organise a houseboat tour. We had booked to stay at Palm Grove but had arrived in Alleppey 2 days early. After checking into a dingy hotel in the town, we decided to leave there and head to Palm Grove to see if they could accommodate us and help with a houseboat tour.

The manager Joseph was so extremely helpful, put us in the best room in the hotel, arranged a houseboat to collect us from the jetty of the resort the following day to take us on a 22hour tour, and looked after our every need for our entire 4 day stay.

The houseboat we stayed on was so fabulous, perfectly sized for a couple (double bedroom, lounge, balcony area and ensuite bathroom) and such great value. The food was authentic Keralan thali for lunch and fish for dinner.

Absolutely AMAZING place. We recommended it to many other travellers and they were not disappointed!

Room Tip: Room 1 is the best, with great views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Main thing about the resort is peaceful ambience with lake view.u can enjoy d nature from this resort. I personally spoke to the owner Mr.Abraham for some time. By that I understood he s not money motive and he s very keen about customer satisfaction and he wants to give his customer a peaceful ambience and memorable stay. Manager and other staffs r also good. They have only limited menu.they ll also arrange for decent massages, good house boats & auto for pick up drop. Totally very good experience v had. Memorable. Worth for money. V felt its somewhat cheap.

• Stayed August 2013
bangalore
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Great location and good cottage. Food was good and great hospitality. Great view from the cottage. Surely recommended for people who would like to relax and enjoy nature. Transport arranged on request, no hassles - with the arrangements or with the drivers. No issues with the cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I am sure, based on the reviews, that the place must be a decent place to stay based but they need to fix their booking process. Here is how it went for me:

I called up the resort and since the lady who picked up the phone couldn't speak English (no cribs here, as it shows my inability to converse in Malayalam), I called up the mobile no. given. A lady picked up the home - could be owner/manager who was very courteous and offer to call back within 5 mins to confirm availability and tariff. Here is where I erred. I asked her not to bother and that she can send an email. I sent her an email immediately after the call, referring to the call and checking availability and tariff. I got a response a day later from Mr. Abraham Philips. Based on suggestion I logged in my booking request immediately on the website and also confirmed the booking for a Lakeview AC Suite on the email asking for method for advance payment. To my surprise I get a response a day later that few rooms are available and I will have to book for a minimum of two days. Now I had waited for two days, lost out on my alternative options due to busy Nehru Boat Race event, to be given this shock! I called up the lady again and she chatted with Mr. Abraham in background and informed that she will send an email. Finally, not getting any response, I went ahead booked elsewhere. Felt really taken for a ride though it may have been less intentional more amateurish

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vansid
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Great location good cottage (delux) , property manager manoj was polite and nice.cook was helpful and did his best from limited menu .OK restaurant . but they can keep some cycles (kayaks were unavailable during our stay) for residents to roam around ,as resort location is great to peddle around....
but we felt not value for money,limited menu ,access to town and limited activities in "resort"

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Good location. Takes a bit of searching at first, but well worth it if you're looking for a secluded spot. Friendly and helpful staff. Taxis and transport arranged on request, no hassles - with the arrangements or with the drivers.
Good food. No issues with the cleanliness.
Family run. Well managed.

• Stayed December 2012
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 18 April 2013

To begin with, we were booked in another resort across the channel- Bamboo Lagoon. But due to some restoration work we were offered this resort a week before our stay. So, to be fair I was sceptical about this change. The resort has 6 spacious cottages facing the back waters, so location wise its a great place. The only things that somewhat irked me was the timings of the restaurant, almost non-existent room service. The cottage was huge, spotless clean, with an open area shower and a sit-out too. Now the not so good part- the ac was in a bad state, refrigerator was only used as a side table.
If you are looking for a place to just unwind and relax, with no disturbance at all, its a place you should consider. For me, I found the place unusually quiet and strange. I only saw 2 guys managing everything during my two day stay. Seems the place would have been a hot spot once but is past its glory days now. A lot could be done to make the stay better.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lake facing ac cottage and was good
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple