“Not a friendly welcome” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aiona Garden of Health

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Amed
Aiona Garden of Health
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Amed
Sydney, Australia
“Not a friendly welcome”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I'm in Amed staying at the beautiful Kampung and I walked up the beach and due to the welcoming sign advertising Vegetarian and Yoga at the gate of the Iona I decided to have a look. I felt more like an intruder then a guest. I was shown the way out faster then the facilities and restaurant. This is one I will definitely cross off my list.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Knicky14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sarasota, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

As the owners of a travel agency, my husband and I make it our business to travel around the world and visit the accommodations that we send individuals and yoga groups to. So, when we arrived at Aiona, we were a bit surprised to be rebuffed entirely. We tried explaining ourselves to someone who eventually met us in the cafe area, who then got a female owner (after reading the other reviews, I guess I should just be thankful it wasn't the male, lol).

She stood rather defensively in front of the closed gate and offered little information, just saying that people who practice yoga and meditation were 'special.' I can completely understand wanting to maintain quiet and privacy, especially if there was a class going on then (there wasn't), but she told us instead to visit the website WHEN WE WERE STANDING RIGHT THERE! LOL Wh would I visit your website to see the property when I am *on* the property?

God bless'em if they don't need the business, but if they do... being rude and cold to two people who wanted to send people there wasn't very savvy. It was honestly one of the funniest and strangest things to happen to us in our years of visiting hotels.

Anyways... I'm sure some folks would have a grand time here, but for our money/time/patience, we'd recommend skipping this one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank QiDoctor

Travellers are raving about these Amed hotels

ottawa canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

I only tried lunch there one day,the vegetarian food was very good.But because of lack of staff,you have to make a reservation a day ahead ,and you might be lucky ,that they are available to cook for you,probably just busy with ayurveda/yoga/meditation/tarot readings/and keeping up guest houses.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
la
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

While one of my favorite stories from my trip to Bali was getting into a fight with the owner of this "meditation retreat," I would not recommend repeating the experience. The place was basically empty when we got there yet they told us only one room was available - we later realized that was the most expensive one. When we decided to leave one night early because we didn't like it there (giving them 24 hours notice), they reacted horribly and forced us to pay.

The food was good but overpriced and while the menu was large, most of the items on it were not available. The same went for the yoga and meditation. We were paying to be at a retreat but once we checked in they let us know they weren't offering most of what they advertise.

At dinner one night, we asked for butter and the guy was not only rude about it, he made us pay extra. For butter. The woman was nice at times but the male owner was condescending and horrible. For a "peaceful" place, he had a really unnerving energy. Also, there were lots of bugs and rodents in the rooms at night.

I think you get the gist, but we really hated this place.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
9 Thank ali b
Angwin, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Thank goodness we only ate here. We came specifically for vegetarian food for lunch. We second what everyone said about what they can actually serve vs. what was on the menu. The German owner seemed nice and somewhat chatty; however at retrospect, it may be due to our conversation about superfoods and mushrooms. His wife (?) would disappear and reappear behind the restaurant area where we were. It was just the most amusing place we have been in Bali. Delicious food, but costs way too much. Despite being vegetarians, we will be sticking to meat-serving restaurants from now on for vegetarian food.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Zuma757
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

The garden of health is located on a beautiful spot on the beach of Amed.
But, unfortunately the place is owned by a unfriendly sometimes even rude German guy who actually complains the whole day about nearly everything, mainly about the care (or better the lack of care) for the environment by the Balinese people. He leaves no room for any interruption or response.
Do not offer any food from his inviting vegetarian menu, placed on several blackboards and on the tables, because then he accuses you of being impolite, "it does not work like that here" he said, "I have better things To do here..". Hmm that is a strange response for an accommodation/restaurant holder we thought.
He seems to offer a lot, but in fact you hardly can get anything except from sermons about all the world problems.
It is really pitty that as environmental activist he actually 'SPOILS' his own accommodation.
Let us hope that some day soon a nice and normal person will take over this accommodation.

• Stayed December 2012
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
5 Thank Imshjp
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

The Garden of Eden. We were rejected by a not very frendly "God". The rooms were expensive. Rumahku, about 2 km, awaywas a much better buy. New and fresh and very inexpensive. The best deal we had in Bali! Next to a Warung, Santa Fe which was very good.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends