“Great Stay”

Puri Wirata Dive Resort and Spa Amed
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Amed
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We had a great time at the Puri Wirata during a recent 7 night stay. I must admit that I find the recent poor/average reviews a bit baffling and it might come down to expectations. This is Amed - a relaxed, tranquil, beautiful part of Bali blissfully free of the high-end gloss (and chaos) you get in the south. I therefore do not expect 5-star resorts and one allows for some lapses in cleanliness and service from time to time.

The Resort
That said, Puri Wirata is a great resort and I thought the service was very good. Each time we had a request it was dealt with quickly and efficiently. The staff were friendly yet a little reserved which I suppose could be interpreted as unfriendliness. Our babysitter (Mendri) was fantastic and even bought our daughters a present. We stayed in an entire villa and my wife and I in the ground floor "master villa" next to the infinity pool (321). This was clean and spacious and in a great location. The upstairs villas were fine but a little small. The bathrooms are not fantastic but more than adequate. We had 5 noisy kids in our group but they essentially had the pool to themselves and we could watch them from our patio. The other pool was great too and the view from the sunbeds on its edge is great. The gardens are lush and very pretty. The resort is on the sea and the snorkeling out front was good but a difficult entry at low tide. The spa was a bit hit and miss - I would suggest a massage on your patio/balcony from one of the beach ladies for only 70000IRP an hour. Value wise I thought this resort was very good. We paid a bit more for high season but at $50-$60 a room in low season you can't go wrong. The pick of the deluxe rooms would have to be rooms 1-4 and the best villas are 321 and 311. The bungalow rooms looked quite nice too but try and avoid the deluxe rooms at the top of the hill if you can.

The breakfasts are simple but adequate. I thought the menu was good and particularly enjoyed the tuna wirata and the pepes ikan (fish in banana leaf). The food is relatively inexpensive (about $4-$8 a dish) and the beers were always cold. We ate out a fair bit, particularly at Warung Enak in the main area of Amed. This is run by Wayan who is one of the nicest people I have met. She is a fantastic cook - try the Ayam nanas and fish curry! Wayan even showed us how to make one dish we really liked so we will try and replicate this at home (little chance I fear). We had a rijstafel one night that was very good. other eating options nearby are Sails (well recommended and they make a sensational fish in banana leaf) and Wayan's Warung (cheap, adequate but not a patch on Warung Enak). We ate at the Grill one night and thought this was our worst meal in Amed. The ribs were abysmal and must have come from a very thin pig. Pity, because the owner was very nice and attentive.

Diving
The diving was very good and Tom is a great instructor. He took my 9-year old daughter for an introductory lesson and was extremely kind and patient with her. She is already planning her PADI course next year. The dive school is efficient, has good, new equipment and the dives are inexpensive at 280 000 IRP a tank (300 000 if you have less than 10 between 2 people).

Transport
Puri Wirata is a little way out of the main Amed area but I like this. There are no taxis so transport can be an issue if you don/t like mopeds. Fortunately we do and this is a highlight for me. They are so cheap to hire ($6 a day) and I feel quite safe on the quiet roads of Amed. the hotel can arrange these for you. Some restaurants (Saila, Baliku) will pick up.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel and we will certainly be back one day.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank JasperAubrey

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed for several nights and were not completely happy.
What we liked: on the beach with great snokling out front, very nice pools, peaceful, spacious room with private balcony, comfortable beds, good size towels, price.

What we didn't like: service was fair, please people, but not helpful. Could have been cleaner. I had to ask from them to clean ants and dead bugs (this was after housekeeping left the room). Food was not great. Breakfast seemed to get worse as the week progressed. I would have to send eggs back for not being cooked. One day, poached eggs were served with a brown scum on top and in pool of water soaking the bread. Not thought about plating it or serving it. Dinner was ok, but we found better meals at better prices at Beten & Batong cafes up on the road. The location is very removed from things, so challenging with transportation. Also, if you want to rent anything, go offsite - better deals at elsewhere. We used the 2 cafes mentioned above.

Room Tip: We were ocean front, but those rooms are older. The newer villas looked good, but could be a hike.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YR-LGB
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This place is certainly well organized, close to the sea, with a spa and 2 pools. Price are a bit expensive but it's a resort then it's not a place for "hardcore on a shoestring" traveling but for "a week to chill out in Bali".
It's very clean, pools are great, fews meters from the sea. But it's just lacking of "a little something", someones could call this "style" or "charm" which could help this resort to be a really fantastic place. It's totally a "resort" with good and bad points. The restaurant is a "middle range" cooking for first range prices...Waiters are nice if you are tipping well... Staff is not helpful without being disrespectful. A good reason to go there could be to to be closed to the diving center of the resort. We spent a middle good time in this resort in an excellent (may be the best) place in Bali : Amed.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We recently stayed at Puri Wirata for a few nights and I think next time I would look for something else.

The bad stuff: The rooms were older, bedding had some slight stains, bathroom was poor and in need of a serious update. Also lots of bugs... even with bug spray and netting they still got me.

The good stuff: The restuarant was good, the location is excellent, the pools was really nice and clean, the spa was amazing and I found the service to be good.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We spent one night here, and it was fine. It seemed fairly unremarkable, and relatively expensive, but it was clean, quiet and had a/c. Not especially connected to the local scene, but still a good stop and I had a good sleep. Pretty area - I really liked the Amed area.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank fair b
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This was my second time in Bali. In my first visit I stayed approximately 3 days each at the Four Seasons Jimbaran; Mimpi Resort in Tulamben, Tauch Terminal Tulamben and Four Seasons Sayan.

Going back specifically for a dive holiday by myself, I had wanted to spend 10 days in Tauch in Tulamben. Booking only a few days in advance, I was advised Tauch were full, but they referred me to their "sister" resort, Puri Wirata. A quick phone call with the front desk manager and I had a reservation.

Upon arrival on the island, my driver greeted me at the customs exit, and helped carry my bags to the (very large) awaiting PADI van. It was around 11pm when I arrived. The drive to the resort took a little over an hour, if I recall correctly.

The room was certainly not up to Four Seasons standards, but was very nice. It was clean -- actually, spotless. It had air conditioning, ample furnishings, a nice four poster bed with mosquito net, and the view was breathtaking. Amed is a hilly area, so the rooms are in small 2 or 3 level buildings that increase in elevation progressively as you come in from the water. Even though I was a "cheaper" unit, only a few palm trees were trying to interfere with my direct view of the ocean from the bed.

Upon waking up in the morning, I made my way to the "restaurant" for breakfast. Simple breakfast - toast, eggs, bacon and coffee. Exactly what the doctor ordered. It was at this time that I "finalized" the reservation details and provided my payment details. I also scheduled a few massages with the spa (INCREDIBLE value).

I then visited the dive shop, where I met with six Australians who were diving. I tagged along for the next few days, doing three or so dives per day. Diving in this area is world class. The two house reefs are excellent, although there can be ripping current, and fairly heavily fished. The house reefs we did were via boat, and drift dives. I would not attempt to do it any other way.

Several times the dive van drove us to Tulamben. The diving in Tulamben is the best in the area. I won't review those sites, but if you're in the area and have not already, I highly recommend them. Other local diving included a town that was about half way to Tulamben - Seraya I believe. We did a few muck dives there, saw some really cool things, including a night dive with colorful lion fish galore, including several moms with three and four juveniles. Very cool.

Lastly there was a shipwreck the other direction at the end of Amed, we did this dive a few times, although again the current was ripping. The cooler stuff to see is generally in the current, though it's a more difficult dive. By comparison, there was almost always no current in Tulamben.

I must say that it was a slight hassle having to drag dive gear around in the van. At Tauch, it was pretty convenient to jump in the water right behind the resort, off the beach. At Puri Wirata, we took the van perhaps three quarters of the time and dove the house reef maybe a quarter of the time.

Also, at Puri I felt like I was responsible for my safety. I am not suggesting that the dive operation was unsafe - not at all. Here in the states, I often feel like I am told what to do -- how long to stay down, how deep to go, when to be back, how many dives a day maximum, etc. At Puri, I was asked what I would like to do, and the dive master worked with me to make that happen. As I am an advanced diver, this was no problem, and I appreciated it. They did provide instruction at the resort and actually while I was there one customer got certified. Perhaps for novice divers, they are more restrictive.

One of the highlights of the day was after the last dive, to come back to the resort, leave the dive gear to the dive masters, make a bee line to the pool, and sip on a cold local beer while reminiscing about the day's events.

Lunch was occasionally at the "restaurant" and sometimes on the road. The lunch menu at the resort is somewhat limited to US standards, but still quite good. Nasi Gorang is the standard fare, but they have some American food too.

Fortunately there are several other restaurants within a walking distance, and all of them are quite good. My favorite dinner place quickly become the resort right next door, the Dancing Dragon Resort (which sadly closed). The night life reminded me of movies such as The Beach, where locals were mingling with tourists, not there to be pretentious like most of the rest of the civilized world, but rather to have a drink, a dance, and a laugh.

All in all I recommend Bali and specifically Puri Wirata for those who want a very reasonable package of sun, diving, fun, spa treatments, and a cultural experience. Don't hesitate to send me any questions.

Room Tip: Ask the staff how to use the air conditioner before you try to figure it out by yourself! Ocean vie...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank albertinnyc
Reviewed 4 December 2011

One of the things I like about this website is the varied opinions that are documented over the same time frame. We spent 9 nights at Puri Wirata during the same time period as the previous poster and had the opposite experience. This was the final leg of a 6 wk journey and we had experienced varying degrees of customer service and cleanliness of accommodations during this journey so were pleased with the environment we experienced here. I was surprised that the staff had any energy left as I knew we had arrived at the end of 'high season' yet they all mustered up the required energy for any requests we made!

Transfer:
We used the airport transfer offered by the hotel. Initially I hadn't asked for the price and had just booked it. After arrival I heard someone negotiating a taxi to the airport and they were asking 650, 000 Rupiah. I felt sick but was relieved when I asked reception about the price and they told me the price was only 400,000 Rupiah. The transfer to and from was superb. The driver was waiting for us at 8:00 pm with water on a really hot evening. The van was air-conditioned. Note to those with queasy tummies: The highway portion is easy going, but the turnoff which takes about 1.5 hrs is a 'windy' experience and I found it a little tough going. If you are prone to car sickness you may want to take something.

Staff:
The hotel staff was lovely and always ready with a smile and wanting to converse and practice their English. We found their eagerness to tell us about their education and families stimulating. The wait staff always had your breakfast to you in double time. They remembered which room you were in without asking daily which was very nice and they always asked what you had planned for the day.

Room:
We stayed in the Villa Superior (323) which had a fantastic view of the water. We were just over the pool in room 323 and it was fantastic. The sheets were changed every 2 days and towels changed out daily if you wanted. The refrigerator was great for storing munchies and water. Lots of storage in the room to tuck away your suitcases and there was a safe for storing valuables. A TV with satellite was located in the room and yep, you could see it and relax in bed at the end of a long hard day of diving :). Our bathroom was kept exceptionally clean and there were daily packets of shampoo/conditioner supplied as well as packets of mosquito repellent. The air condtioning worked very well and we really needed it with the heat. The decor was very simple and clean, no clutter but lovely accessories. The bed was very comfortable and equipped with a mosquito net. We never used it.

Dive Shop:
This was why we were here. We were able to get about 16 dives in with the accomodating guys at the shop. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, we were arriving post busy season and witnessed everyone save the acting manager, come down with some cold or influenza. We never caught it so it was all good! There was always someone healthy enough to take us out.
We never experienced 'island time' there except when other clients were inconsiderate and showed up 40 mins late for the 0830 dept. This happened only a few times. When we weren't waiting on these people, the boys had us out of the shop and on the road by 0835. This makes for a great diving day because you can be back and enjoy the amenities at the hotel.
The diving is easy and beautiful. Dives along the house reef were stunning. The complimentary nitrox made maintaining your energy levels that much easier. Great deal for diving (if you dive lots) and the included rental gear was in great shape. I found the high prices being charged by other shops for rental gear offensive. With the luggage restrictions on flights these equipment charges are 'gouging' as far as I'm concerned and Bali Reef divers did not participate in this which is one of the main reasons we went there. They are about diving and the experience not about fleecing the tourist.

Restaurant:
Okay I will admit we took a walk every evening and looked at what the other restaurants/hotels in the area had on offer, but we ate at the hotel 7 of the 8 nights. The food was great and the Balinese offerings were reasonably priced and absolutely delicious. I found the fish a little overcooked but the Chicken Satay, and Chicken with Rice or noodles was beautifully presented and tasted wonderful. It is not described so well on the menu so you may have to ask which is which. A filling meal was provided for 35,000 Rupiah. A walk along the road had the same meal, but it was accompanied by taxes and surcharges which I find very tiresome when I am on vacation. Breakfasts were filling and good and we had purchased a jar of jam and peanut butter for a quick lunch snack after diving. It worked out great. I can highly recommend the Balinese sauteed spinach and vegetables. Much better value than the western food on offer and not too spicy. The only negative I have is that I was unable to get a cafe latte here as the machine was broken but hey, that's nothing to complain about. Pretty good life if that's my only complaint!

What's Near?
There is a store for amenities just down the road from the hotel. Head up and turn left and down the road about .5 kilometre is 'The Store'. They have cafe lattes and all other snack foods. We had the driver stop on our way from the hotel and we picked up some munchies. Don't really need much as I mentioned the food at the restaurant is excellent and filling. The price does increase as you get away from Denpasar. We noted a loaf of bread tripled in price from 3,000 Rupiah to 9,000 Rupiah at the Store in Amed. Stock up on the way but if you don't there are places near to get things. There are lots of other restaurants to the left and right of the hotel should you wish to try something else. It gets dark early (around 6 pm) so take a flashlight for the walk home as it is somewhat treacherous walking along the road without light.

Spa
After I finshed up diving I tried the spa out. It is located just to the left of the restaurant. I truly enjoyed my massage and scrub, it was a good value and took care of a few sore muscles. I did have a manicure/pedicure and facial but have to say after 1 day the polish was chipping. Maybe they just need to use a better quality polish and base coat. I wasn't doing housework so this shouldn't have happened this quickly. It didn't last very long and was more a colour change than a regular manicure/pedicure I've gotten other places. Not much time taken to remove calluses and cuticles. A little pricey for the service but once again, the staff was lovely so ....The ginger tea they served was a delight for the tastebuds. Really a treat.

Bali had originally been the destination we had selected for our honeymoon 23 years ago but never made it. It certainly measured up to our expectations and was very economical now that our interests have changed. The diving, views, food, people and ambience was the ulitmate end to our 6 wk adventure in Asia. We planned everything just right and have discovered a new 'favourite place'.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple