“Excellent location on the beach with coral reef just 15 meters off the shore”

Kembali Beach Bungalows
Ranked #4 of 86 Speciality Lodging in Amed
“Excellent location on the beach with coral reef just 15 meters off the shore”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Visited Kembali Beach Bungalows after a stay in Seminyak for a few days. Immediately you notice the quiet surroundings, nice diving places and a piece of Bali you will never encounter down south. The villa's are decorated stylefully and with care. Everything you need (nice bed, A/C, separate bathroom) is available. Standards of the resort and staff are high, due to dutch management.

We will surely return in the near future.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Czech first
peterborough UK
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in july and enjoyed my time here. I was in cottage 1 which I think is the closest to the beach. Amazing to lay on my day bed look out at the sea! The room was large, with a good size bed andnice linens, the shower was good too. I would stay here again, it was very relaxing, the staff were friendly and it is in a good location, there are places to eat nearby and a shop close by if needed.

Room Tip: Cottage 1 is closest to the beach, great views!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank daisyjane1967
Hilversum, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Our whole family (two parents, three kids 15, 18 and 19) stayed here for five days in two bungalows, right at the beach. The staff was extremely friendly, the luscious garden wonderful and the place was a great relaxing retreat after our diving classes.
Value for money at its best: the bungalows are well equipped and give a lot of privacy: we could read for hours on the veranda, overlooking the sea.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. When we wanted to make reservations in the restaurants, they arranged it all for us. Booking a boat trip to the Gilis: one of the staff members took me to the travel agents on the back of his motor.
Next time we are in Amed, we will definitely be guests here!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Mungyeong, South Korea
Reviewed 8 August 2013

While planning out my trip to Bali I decided I wanted to stay somewhere a bit out of the way - a place where I could relax, listen to the ocean and read a book.

After doing a bit of research I cam across Kembali Beach Bungalows and sent an e-mail inquiring about a few things - the response was not only professional but extremely timely (I've found that other guesthouses and hotels on the island of Bali are a bit more lax with prompt e-mail replies). The person with whom I was corresponding, Matthijs, not only answered my questions with regards to the property but also a few other questions about Balinese culture. I booked two nights and planned out the rest of my vacation. Unfortunately I recorded the wrong dates for my two nights in Amed and made plans with other travelers so I had to cancel one night - about which the owners were very gracious and even recommended another location nearby for the rest of my stay.

I arrived at the bungalows in the late afternoon and was greeted by a staff member wearing a uniform. He helped me take my luggage to my bungalow - #8 and left me to get situated. The bungalows are staggered on the property in order to give people more privacy - #8 was set on the edge of the property line a bit back from the next bungalow so it offered a bit more privacy than then the others. Due to the distance from the beach the bungalow was slightly less expensive than those that are closer with actual beach view (a difference of just a few meters).

The inside of the bungalow is tastefully decorated with crisp white sheets, pink accent pillows and mosquito netting. A day bed sits by one wall and chairs by another. The clean bathroom consistently followed the main room's attention to detail with a large sink and counter area and privacy walls setting off the toilet and shower (which has a rock basin). My only complaint about this room is that due to it being set back from the beach it lies closer to the road and throughout the night I was awoken by especially loud motos (I am convinced the mufflers were altered in some way to make them extremely obnoxious). I didn't find the road noise to be disturbing in the evening but in the early morning hours it seemed extremely loud.
The outside of the bungalow has a lounge in addition to a small seating area. The towels that are provided both inside and outside of the room are large and fluffy - perfect for drying off after a shower or after a dip in the pool.

The pool area overlooks the beach and has substantial seating with numerous lounge chairs. The area is set apart slightly by careful landscaping and is illuminated with soft lighting. The cafe area has ample seating and a young women, also wearing a uniform, helped guests order simple snacks and drinks or place an order at a local restaurant. Outside of the cafe were two semi-private elevated floor seating areas filled with pillows where people lounged about or chatted. Wi-fi is only available in the cafe area. Breakfast at the cafe was tasty which you can choose from presented options - I enjoyed the banana pancake and fresh fruit juice. Room prices include breakfast for two so since I was a single traveler the room price was slightly adjusted to reflect that.

I really enjoyed a night's sleep in the large and comfortable bed there and had a delicious simple breakfast the following morning. My biggest regret during my trip to Bali is that I only had the opportunity to stay one night at Kembali Beach Bungalows - I spent 3 days in Amed, one at Kembali and two more at another location and both cost the same price. Kembali was the superior place to stay because not only was the facade pleasant but there was an attention to detail - attentive yet non-intrusive uniformed staff, carefully decorated bungalows and beautiful landscaping.

Room Tip: While bungalow #8 offers a bit more privacy since it is set back from the others it doesn't have...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at KBB during our honeymoon because it was close to our dive center. Out of all of the varied places we stayed both in Amed and in Bali, this was one of the most disappointing experiences.

The staff are unfriendly and seem very clearly bored. They barely acknowledge their guests, and are quite curt, lacking the warmth and interest that characterizes Balinese service. During breakfast, they chatted amongst themselves. They did not return our morning greeting or respond to thank yous in English or Balinese. The groundsmen and security staff stared blankly at us as we came and went, again not greeting us. My husband told me that he was stopped on several occasions to be asked if he was an actual guest there. Very unusual suspicious attitude that was unlike any other place we stayed.

While it may sound silly, tourists in Bali will understand why KBB's morning fruit plate epitomizes the level of neglect:
This was the only place, including the cheapest of warungs, where the fruit plate was so carelessly thrown together, and quite literally. The staff did not bother to peel the banana much less slice it, the papaya and pineapple were in disarray sliding on the plate which was also distractedly plopped down before us. No typical "enjoy" or anything. It felt like we were not welcome there, much less appreciated for our patronage.

The room, while adequate, had linens with holes. There were no bath towels when we arrived. Towel and garbage were haphazardly attended to. The soap dish had no soap in it. Our AC was malfunctioning, impossible to turn off, and caused us both severe neck pain.

The staff was more aggressive about getting drink orders from us whenever we sat in the bale. Finally, the lounge chairs by the pool had cushions that were so sun-bleached, they appeared to be relics of the 80s.

But these things only added to the general feeling of unwelcomeness we had during the entirety of our stay at KBB. That is a major oversight of management.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MadameZed
Kimberley, W.A.
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband, two kids and I stayed at Kembali Beach Bungalows in May this year and were very impressed with the location, bungalows, staff, view, beautifully kept gardens, beach side pool and simple but yummy breakfasts. We stayed in adjoining bungalows with a walkway between them which was ideal for the kids to have their own space and us! The bungalows have an amazing outlook with spacious verandas to lounge on to take it all in. We couldn't believe how fertile the garden was right on the edge of the ocean. Maybe something to do with the rich, volcanic soil? This place is not too crowded as it only has around 8-10 bungalows I think. You often get the pool to yourselves for a while and it's very peaceful. There are Balinese style cabanas scattered along the beach front pool/bar area which is a perfect spot for a drink at sunset or planning your next day. We had a few chats here with the owner Matthijs, whom was very friendly and informative. It was easy to walk to nearby warungs for lunch or dinner,the food was excellent in the area in general. Some days we would go for a big walk along the one main coastal road which meandered through truly stunning scenery or hire a driver to go further afar all along the mountainous coast. We ended up at a beautiful water garden and an interesting chocolate factory with the biggest swing we'd ever seen. Lots of fishermen and their boats at work, diving/snorkeling galore, a scattering of shops and convenience stores but generally a more traditional, older style Bali to explore. We were really happy with our choice of staying at Kembali Beach Bungalows, which suit the area perfectly and is a credit to the lovely owner.

Room Tip: We loved the front bungalows with ocean views. The adjoining, ocean front was ideal for our family...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimberley_W_A_Buffy
Barham, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at Kembali for 5 nights. It is a great location just metres from some terrific snorkelling and walking distance to many warungs. All staff were extremely polite and friendly. The bungalows were clean and comfortable with breakfast included in the tariff. When we return to Amed we will definitely stay at Kembali again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple