“A new start at the golden rock”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amed
Golden Rock Retreat
Ranked #45 of 92 Speciality Lodging in Amed
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I had very high expectations of Golden rock having read the reviews. I'm pleased to say they were predominantly met. The staff were very friendly and attentive, taking the time to explain the process. I didn't have any problems with the 5 day fasting process, there were plenty of drinks and psyllium husk to keep you feeling full and hydrated. The day program is quite intensive with exercise, infrared, massage and o3 therapies which keep your mind off the lack of food. That said, there was still plenty of time to laze by the pool or on your private balcony and watch the fishermen and horizon which was heavenly.

Unfortunately half way through my stay I contracted a nasty middle ear infection which reduced my ability to sleep and made the liver flush a challenge. Pin and his staff were very helpful and provided me with ear drops, however I did end up having to travel to see a western doctor in kuta to get antibiotics. There is no local western doctor, though the facility has affiliations with a dr an hour or so away. I chose to go to SOS clinic in kuta though and they organized me a friendly driver at the end of the retreat.

The accommodation was great, better than I expected and the sunrises from the 'golden rock' magic. I did find the yoga teacher pretty average, though friendly, there were no adjustments so effectively it felt more like stretching. There were also some language barriers with some of the staff, though they were always helpful and made sure an answer was provided by someone with more advanced language skills.

Amed itself was great and definitely worth a visit if you are keen on a laid back Bali experience.

I left the program feeling clean on the insides. Not as light and buoyant as I'd hoped, but I think that was threat still plaguing me. I'd recommend it to people wanting a lifestyle change Ina supportive and relaxed environment, it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it worthwhile and good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank somedays_i_am

Reviewed 3 March 2012

After my 10 day detox I have returned home feeling reset and refreshed, ready to take on the world again! What a feeling it is to feel clean and happy from the inside out!

The 2 and a half hour drive from Denpasar to the retreat felt like 15 minutes. I had a book ready to read for the drive but i had my head out of the car window most of the time! Be prepared to be WOWed by the amazing sights and landscapes Bali has to offer.

When I arrived at the retreat I was blown away by the views. As you walk down the stone steps there is a gorgeous little swimming pool to your right. It's one of those pools that has the water flowing over the side so it makes you feel like there is nothing between you, the sea and the sky. It's great especially after spending time in the steam room (One review said the stream room didn't work, I'm not too sure what they were on as I would have passed out in a heap on the floor if I stayed in there longer than 20 mins!). Outstretched to the left of the resort are the local's boats and a little beach that gives you access to the sea teeming with fish and coral, fab for snorkling. The grounds of the retreat were just absolutely stunning. The amazing panorama of the sky meeting the sea makes you feel like you are on the edge of the world. Nature at its best.

I was taken to my room and greeted by the 2 lovely managers who talked me through my programme. They made me feel very welcome. Practically every few hours my next drink and supplements were brought to me(they give you info on where to source these supplements as you leave and these supplements are really top notch), It made me feel like I was being waited on hand and foot. The staff clean your room and clean and press your clothes for you everyday. Anytime I wanted a fresh ginger tea or extra drink the staff were there to tend to me, always with a friendly and happy demeanor. Every single day I was treated to an hour long massage, I could literally feel the stress melting away! My accommodation was top class, i had an open canopy above my shower, bliss! The apartment was really beautiful and very tasteful. I had an upstairs and downstairs balcony in my apartment, I loved sitting out on these and reading my books while listening to the ocean. You can hire a moped or a car for around 50,000 - 100,000 Rp so there is always the chance to explore. Get friendly with the locals and they will definately show you around. Wayan is good for that (Amed area guide). It irritates me that someone reviewed the retreat as 'expect all kinds of insects and smells in your room', I have no idea what kind of smells they got, but all I had was fresh air and I occasionally had a friendly visit from completely harmless caterpillars every now and again, but then again I was in the middle of Bali, surrounded by LIFE! Seriously get a grip!

Pinn, the manager knows what he's talking about, he himself has detoxed countless times and was always prepared to answer my questions or queries about the programme and detoxing itself. Maddie the yoga and chi gung instructor is a very sweet man, very knowledgeable and each day takes you through gentle and simple yoga poses that concentrate on your digestion, breathing and circulation. If you don't know much about meditation, check it out. It will really benefit your experience at the retreat.

If you want to be surrounded by nature, fall asleep to the sound of the ocean and cleanse your mind and body, this is it! A feast for the soul! The programme was great and I feel alive, clean and fantastic. I shall definately be returning! Thank you to everyone at Golden Rock!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Miss_Amy_L0u
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was my second trip to Golden Rock and probably the last one, I noticed that the facilities have deteriorated and need some love and care. The program itself works, and if you are generally healthy, you probably don't need a Western educated medial professional on staff, a few people that they have do monitor the basics - blood pressure, pulse etc. to make sure you are doing well, but it's not a 5 star hotel, no that it was meant to be.

The property has 4 villas and they can host up to 8 people at a time, but even with 8 people they are a bit chaotic and laid back at the same time in terms of coordination and scheduling. Their massage therapists are not the best, they only have one who is excellent and everybody tends to ask for him... The steam room is not functioning properly, it never gets hot enough, and the infrared pod needs urgent replacement - it's too old and too many people have been using it (think germs). I am mentioning these elements as they are a part of the treatment program and you have to use them to get the best results.

Their yoga instructor is not the best either, besides inability to communicate effectively in English, he is just not a good instructor - great yoga practitioner, but not an instructor.

When everything else works well, these are minor things, but, at the same time, if you are paying reasonable for Bali prices, you would expect a better service.

The place is isolated, be prepared to do a lot of reading and looking at the sea. If you are looking for a very basic place that is safe and has an established detox program, this is a good option, but don't expect to be pampered or paid a lot of attention to.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Kukusik
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Expect all kinds of insects and smell in the room. Staff are nice, the detox program itself was good, but there are no professional health counselors on board. The only available person is an Indonesian nutritionist, a very quite and uncaring person. In sum, this detox and cleansing center doesn't care about their customers at all. No body cares about your health, you are on your own fasting and cleansing. People were attracted to them through their website, no one was by referrals or returned customer. Choose other detox centers in Thailand. Skip this one.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Flower2012
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I've done the 7 days cleansing and detoxing and it worked! I lost in total 5kg and another 3kg in the following weeks. I rent a scooter to explore the wonderful countryside of Bali and was shifting the massage in the afternoon in order to have a 3hrs break. The pgm is very good but at the end i was missing of some variety as every day is the same. I recommend changing the drinks and the pgm makes it more convenient to the guest. I suggest to book a Villa for you own as you need some time for yourselves but the most important things, you need YOUR toilet a few times a day ,-)) don't expect too much of the stuff, they know what to do, more information is had to get as their english is not so good.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank heidingerk
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I had had a very lazy year with my health and fitness and golden Rocks seemed like a good kick start to a new me. I found the fasting and liver flush hard work and my friend and I were glad we had each other for support, however the surroundings and accommodation are beautiful and clean and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. When we had the energy the qi gung and yoga were very satisfying. This is not something I could have achieved at home. I left having lost 3kg and two and a half weeks later have lost another 3. I feel very clean,serene and recentred and have plenty of energy to exercise again. Take some good books and dvds a hat and sarong and just go with it. This is not a holiday at all in the traditional sense. Weather was very good when we went, dry and mild, no mosquitos. problems.

Room Tip: Room number 1 was quite hot. Not sure if aircon just couldnt keep up or needed re gas.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank atashas
Reviewed 11 November 2011

If you are looking for a place where your cell phone does not work, you can rise before the sun watching the local fishing fleet (who lived in the village adjacent to my house) return with their catch, and then do your sun salutations 2meters away from the lapping waves; this is the place to be.

It is remote, thank god, my intention was to RETREAT, and by the very nature of a detox I was often feeling the need to do nothing but rejuvenate and relax. The team running the retreat were friendly, courteous and very efficient.

You can day trip to temples in the middle of gorgeous forests, watch ceremonies unfold around you that hearken back to ancient times, invoking the local spirits of the land that leave you with a tingle down your spine.

Thank god the commercialism of "downtown party Russian mafia controlled Bali" is literally hours away near the airport. Ubud has also become very commercial and lost much of its charm from yesteryear, I am just relieved there are still isolated spots like the Golden Rock that does what it says it does.

My expectations were exceed, and thank god I had the right expectations.

Room Tip: Four villas, all waterfront, literally waterfront, no need to choose
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Mroddis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amed
Blue Moon Villas
Meditasi Bungalows
Meditasi Bungalows
#3 of 5 in Bunutan
Villa Infinite Horizon

Been to Golden Rock Retreat? Share your experiences!