“Stay in Amed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amed
Golden Rock Retreat
Ranked #44 of 86 Speciality Lodging in Amed
Melbourne, Australia
“Stay in Amed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Interesting to read everyone's feedback having stayed at the retreat for the week. The location cannot be beaten. It is stunning and the sound of the waves, fabulous and unique. I wanted to learn more about detox. It was difficult to learn alot because nobody speaks much english. I would not be staying here if I had a health concern. It is very steep and if you weren't fit/prone to fainting it could be quite dangerous. I did not complete the fasting. I did enjoy the healthy food they gave me instead. Once I stopped fasting I was able to explore the area of Amed. The people are very friendly. I can recommend the local guide Wayan Wani. wayan.wani@yahoo.com or +62 237 055 625. There is no real reception or much email though so I would recommend just asking the Yoga instructor Made where he lives, it is just up the road. This is a good way to see the sights on the back of a moto and meet some local people. We had an amazing time on the beach, beach fire, with their friends and local kids playing some music and enjoying some fresh fish. Really wonderful. All in all interesting experience to stay here. It would be much more professional if it were managed by experienced Westerners (I hate to say it) or medically trained Indonesian people.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Lauren M

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

I spent 7 days at the Golden Rock in 2011. The location is amazing right on the waterfront, and the 4 large villas are really beautiful and well kept. As another reviewer has said, this is hard core detox - but the constant sounds of the ocean, the daily massages and the great staff all made it worthwhile. Everything was generally well organized, and Manager Pin was a delight, as was Wiwit in the office. The first few day or two I was a bit put off by the constant entry of staff with juices and pills etc but I soon got into the swing of it. The daily massages were really top-class and a highlight in the day, as were ´dinner´chats with the other guests. Oh - and the lovely pool as well, I did spend a fair share of my time hanging over the edge of the pool stirring onto the vast ocean.

I loved the morning meditation and chi gong, and the afternoon yoga on the seaside yogadeck. The snorkeling trip to a nearby shipwreck right is an absolute must and maybe the best snorkeling you will do in Bali.

Any room for improvements you might ask? Well, on two occasions did the yoga teacher not turn up in the afternoon, nor where we notified by the staff about this or why. And the outside lightning could be better, as it gets pitch dark really early. But in total, can´t really complain.

If you are traveling on your own, please do bring enough to read as evenings can get long if the other guests retreat early. There is a DVD collection there as well, but consider bringing some of your own favorites if you know you get bored easily!

And the verdict: if you are serious about detox, this is the place. Really.

Room Tip: The villa to the left (ie when facing the sea) is very near local life with its chickens and pigs. S...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank HanneG72
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

The Golden retreat was the ideal place to reconnect with my inner body!! It is a fantasic intimate retreat with only 4 villas so personnal service is garanteed. I did a 7 day detox and cleanse and it is definitely value for money considering food is not on the menu. I was lucky enough to have 3 other great women to spend time with around the pool in the afternoons and chat with if I was bored at any time. They have a great DVD collection which i reccommend you have especially on the Liver flush.
The staff are very friendly and are always around to ensure that you make it to all the treatments. Mangu who provides the healing massages is absolutely amazing! All the staff are great and gentle especially Pin and Wewit who will assist you with anything.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Tara J
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

It is right that Golden Rock is reviewed as a retreat/detox venue, rather than as an hotel or resort. Nevertheless it is relevant that the compact, four room facility has a glorious setting on the edge of one of the many mackerel fishing villages in East Bali. Ones exercise, massage or treatment is accompanied often by the view of returning fishing boats unloading their catch and the noise of many happy fishermen whooping news of their catch to waiting families.
I had not really understood the rigours of a 10 day detox or how bored I would be of clear soup and many varied juices. But I was delighted to have done it and now the taste of even the simplest of foods is a double pleasure following the abstinence.
The staff are unfailingly helpful, willing and professional. Pin, the manager, trained in nutrition and related disciplines, and himself an expert reflexologist seemed to work 24/7 and earned the respect of us all. The quality of the daily massages puts to shame anything that Europe has to offer.
Cameraderie amongst our fellow inmates, (from Germany, Australia and Singapore in our case) was an important element of the success of the visit.
I will readily recommend Golden Rock to anyone who wants this sort of retreat. My wife, who has much greater experience of such places, ranked it at the very top in its category.
My only small points of recommendation for the management would be: improved lighting around some of the difficult steps and staircases; wifi throughout (maybe this collides with the policy separating guests from the outside world during treatment).
We will be back....but in the meantime will try to follow the guidelines given.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank billcolegrave
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

The golden rock is an extremely, well organised, good value for money retreat. No issue with intermediate bills to sign, all inclusive ( including laundry service) and a warm helpfull staff.

The only minor detail is, there is absolutely no doctor or whatsoever in the neighborhood, so while i was staying there, myself and another participant had ear problems ( possibly from the pool), the only solution is than a 3 hour drive to Kuta.

Regards

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ronflonflon
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Even though I read the reviews for Golden Rock I had no idea what to expect, but after my 7 day program I feel like a new person and definitely achieved my goal of getting as many toxins out of my body as possible.

One of my friends could not believe I had booked a retreat over the internet and transferred money in advance - attention all Doubting Thomas' - it really exists!

The three hour drive was a surprise - if I did this again I would stay in Khandidasa which is half way. On arrival the retreat exceeded my expectations. The accommodation was great and included a shower with an open roof. The daybed on your balcony got plenty of use as did the infinity edge pool. I would gaze out at the view for hours watching the fishermen.

The program was explained every step of the way and if you completely submit to it and follow it through you will get a lot out of it. There is plenty of time to do your own thing - I read a book a day; and there is a large selection of movies to watch in the restaurant.

I have to agree with the other comments in relation to the Yoga and Chi Gung instructors - they were kind of average and the language barrier didn't help; mind you the meditation sessions were great.

The steam room was working, the staff were wonderful, there were no insects - I didn't even get a mozzie bite!

If you are looking to completely clense (mind and body) I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ang73Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I had very high expectations of Golden rock having read the reviews. I'm pleased to say they were predominantly met. The staff were very friendly and attentive, taking the time to explain the process. I didn't have any problems with the 5 day fasting process, there were plenty of drinks and psyllium husk to keep you feeling full and hydrated. The day program is quite intensive with exercise, infrared, massage and o3 therapies which keep your mind off the lack of food. That said, there was still plenty of time to laze by the pool or on your private balcony and watch the fishermen and horizon which was heavenly.

Unfortunately half way through my stay I contracted a nasty middle ear infection which reduced my ability to sleep and made the liver flush a challenge. Pin and his staff were very helpful and provided me with ear drops, however I did end up having to travel to see a western doctor in kuta to get antibiotics. There is no local western doctor, though the facility has affiliations with a dr an hour or so away. I chose to go to SOS clinic in kuta though and they organized me a friendly driver at the end of the retreat.

The accommodation was great, better than I expected and the sunrises from the 'golden rock' magic. I did find the yoga teacher pretty average, though friendly, there were no adjustments so effectively it felt more like stretching. There were also some language barriers with some of the staff, though they were always helpful and made sure an answer was provided by someone with more advanced language skills.

Amed itself was great and definitely worth a visit if you are keen on a laid back Bali experience.

I left the program feeling clean on the insides. Not as light and buoyant as I'd hoped, but I think that was threat still plaguing me. I'd recommend it to people wanting a lifestyle change Ina supportive and relaxed environment, it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it worthwhile and good value.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank somedays_i_am
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amed
Fivelements Bali Retreat
Zen Resort Bali
Zen Resort Bali
#1 of 2 in Seririt
The Griya Villas and Spa

Been to Golden Rock Retreat? Share your experiences!