“One word fits, "Fantastic", to the venue and its staff !!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Rock Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amed
Golden Rock Retreat
Ranked #44 of 85 Speciality Lodging in Amed
“One word fits, "Fantastic", to the venue and its staff !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

I have just recently spent 14 days at the Golden Rock Retreat for a detox, liver flush and general health kick start. The program and service I received during my entire 14 days was excellent. The service and attention from all staff members was fantastic, the accommodation as good as you get get anywhere. This was my first experience at a scheduled detox and it has proved great for my health and kick started me back onto a good healthy life style change. The Yoga and Chi Gung instructors were first class and very helpful to those (like myself that had not done Yoga etc before). I will be going back once a year and will not look anywhere else as I believe the experience I had at Golden Rock would be difficult to match. Thank you to all the staff and the group that has combined this property and health schedule together, great job.
Regards
Greg from Perth WA

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Greg E

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

The Golden Rock Retreat programs are designed for those that are committed to a thorough and comprehensive detox, that deliver if you put 100% into it. I had made up my mind to follow through until the end of my 7 day program, and I must say that made it easier. Do this with total commitment with a spirit of fun and allowance, and you will get the best results.
Remember that a detox is not just the body, it is a detox of the toxins in your mind as well. The program incorporates internal cleansing, bowel, blood and liver/gallbladder. I passed a few gallstones which I didn't know I had, and I believe that the process was easy for me as I followed every instruction. You have to have fun with this and the staff, Pin, Wiwit, Andi, and many others were very supportive and nurturing.
There is Chi-kung with Made and yoga with Nyoman, both excellent. The exercises on the rebounder are made enjoyable by watching the fisherman sail back from their early morning fishing. Then there is the chi machine, far infra red sauna, bio magnetic therapy, ozone therapy, and herbal steam room all there to assist in cleansing and harmonising the body.
There is also time to relax, unwind, meditate and enjoy your daily massages.
We had a front villa overlooking the ocean, and the sounds of the sea and waves are so conducive to relaxing, anytime day and night. We also hired a fishing boat from a local to go snorkelling, as it could be a little challenging walking out on the rocky beach unless you had sturdy wet boots.
You will get out of this what you put in. Everything is provided to make this work for you if you want it. Go for it, have fun, and feel great for your achievements. It's worth it.
Thank to all at Golden Rock....you all rock!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lucy S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

I'm inspired to write a review some 4 years later (I went in November 2009), as currently doing a cleanse else where (in Costa Rica) and now feel I have a benchmark to compare Golden Rock.

Golden Rock Retreat is a great place to completely switch off, unwind and relax. Go expecting isolation and total relaxation. Don't go if you are easily bored! The service is excellent, the location, rooms and pool are beautiful. It is really good value considering that you get not just the cleansing drinks, yoga, accommodation, etc, but also the massages and treatments all included in the price. In comparison with other retreats, it is really nice not to be stung with any extras.

I really liked how programmed things were and how organised everything was, and the Asian excellent service. Recommend taking your own DVDs for entertainment and do expect light headaches - especially if you are coming off caffeine and alcohol.

I would recommend the snorkelling - a very gentle bit of exercise when you are doing the detox.

My skin glowed for a few months after the detox, and the weight loss was maintained for a long time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank walkeasysophie
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

I have been back 2x and the recent trip was just this month.

This is a little place with 4 villas & 1 two bedroom villa with a full set of staff to look after your every need.

This place is not for the faint-hearted as it is intensive detox with fasting & total internal cleanse program. Check out their website at www.theretreatbali.com before booking in as this is not an ordinary holiday.

Everytime I pop over, I leave totally relaxed, refreshed & rejuvenated & a few kilos lighter.

Villas are well cared for & bedroom is on the 2nd storey of the villa. Rain showers in all villas and hot water is plenty. AC is also avail in all villas.

All villas have steps and is not for those who have bad knees as it will prove inconvenient.

No wifi & mobile phone access is available. There is also no TV programming. There is a small library of books & DVDs available so do bring your own.

Location is remote. It is a good 3 hour drive from the airport to the north eastern point after Mt Agung.

On the other hand, if you are bored, you can book a fishing boat take you snorkeling at the nearby japanese wreck or the coral islands at a reasonable price.

Do be prepared to go offline at this resort but it is worth it. Will be back again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elizchua
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

After reading some other reviews, I arrived at Golden Rock not knowing what to expect, but determined to be completely open to the experience. In the end, I couldn't have been happier with my stay. I completed the 10 day program, and it was my first experience of a fasting detox. The program was certainly a challenge, but that is exactly what I wanted out of it. Pin and Made visited me shortly after I arrived and talked me through the whole process, so I knew what to expect over the days ahead. Following that, I launched straight into the fasting.

You would be surprised that you actually don't get that hungry, because you're kept busy and mentally occupied so much of the day, and are constantly given lots of fluids to maintain hydration, flush your body, and fulfil your nutritional requirements. I am usually a very enthusiastic eater, so trust me, it's not so bad. Actually, I experienced very little real discomfort during the program - I was a little lightheaded from lack of food, and needed to visit the toilet regularly, but wasn't really sick in any sense (no vomiting, headaches etc).

The lack of food also kept me feeling really light and clear, and helped me to focus during the chi gung and yoga classes, and get some real spiritual benefit out of it. Made and Nyoman are the instructors. People have correctly stated that their English isn't perfect, but they're both beautiful human beings. Trust me, when you haven't eaten for 5 days, you aren't going to WANT to do any kind of intense yoga. You will just want a stretch, guaranteed. The massages with a range of very pleasant staff also really help to take your mind off things :-)

The location is stunning, truly breathtaking, and the accommodation is gorgeous too. I enjoyed the company of some lovely other guests on some occasions, but also enjoyed a lot of time just relaxing in my room watching dvds, reading books, gazing at the ocean or writing in my journal. The British owner, Alan, was also around from time to time, and provided great conversation and energy when things were tough. He knows a lot, and has vast experience with fasting, so use his expertise if you get the chance.

The swimming pool is fantastic, really refreshing with a spectacular view. I loved the isolation, not being bound to my computer or my phone for once. They allowed me to send an email initially to tell my family I had arrived safely, and I had no inclination to connect with the outside world beyond that.

My main advice to someone considering going would be: make sure you are fully committed to a legitimate detox/cleanse, not just looking for a holiday with the odd massage thrown in. If you surrender to the process, you will get so much out of it. I lost 4 kilos in my 10 days, and that was only the smallest of the benefits I gained. I've completely changed my eating habits since returning home, and felt more at peace and happy than ever before in my life. If you want something to challenge and change you and break you out of your rut ... DO THIS!!!! Thank you so much Golden Rock, I can't wait to return next year.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely with ocean views. Plus, the retreat is small, so you're never too fa...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Lady L
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

I spent 4 days at the Golden Rock over New Years 2012/2013 doing the 4 day detox and cleansing program.
It was the biggest mental challenge I think I've faced so far in my life - but incredibly rewarding. Hats off to those who have done 10+ day programs!
The retreat is 10km away from Amed, perched on the side of the cliff next to the ocean. It's incredibly beautiful and idyllic, and a superb setting for the program. The rooms are also beautiful, comfortable and clean.
The program is not for those who aren't serious about detoxing. It's a full on intensive experience. I didn't struggle so much with fasting, and time was broken up by regular supplements, exercises and treatments. But it can be incredibly lonely. I would definitely recommend doing the program with a friend or family, or when there are other people staying there. I was mostly alone (who detoxes on New Year's Eve?!) so it was hard emotionally - not helped of course by the effects on emotions that fasting can have anyway!
The staff are incredibly kind and attentive though, and a big thank you to Made, the retreat manager, for being my shoulder to cry on during my emotional outburst!
It was definitely worth doing and I feel great for it. I lost 2kg in 4 days - so that's definitely a bonus!

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank jemjem11
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

A detox by nature isn't an easy thing to do, so the trend now is to go to a destination spot where temptation is out of reach. That is certainly true here - Golden Rock is 3 hours from the airport and in the tiny village of Amed (where there's not much on offer, so don't think of popping out to shop, distract yourself, etc). There's NO cell service or internet - another detox of sorts in this day and age.

The other reviews are true - you gradually get used to the staff coming in/out with various drinks and tonics for you, regardless of if you are sleeping, naked, on the toilet, etc. They don't seem fazed and after a day or two, you won't be either. The retreat is small, so there's a BIG chance that you may be there alone. This isn't as exotic as it sounds. You feel terrible and there's no one to talk to. The staff sit and watch you exercise or eat and you end up going to bed around 6pm.

Very little information is given out by the staff. They are smiley and try to be helpful but the English is very limited. Pin (resort manager) is kind and an excellent reflexologist BUT he is hard to understand and it's frustrating not to get more information on questions such as, "Why am I vomiting? When will it stop? Why isn't anything coming out? What is the benefit of this treatment or that one? How long will this headache last because it's been 18 hours?" He often repeats the phrase, "It is because of the Western diet of alcohol, sugar, meat. It is because of alcohol, sugar, meat." Okkkaaay.

Given that the average guest at the retreat is interested in fitness, healthy living and detoxes (given their choice of holiday), that's too basic of an answer. If the majority of the customers are women (and they are), they need to realize that we want more info and to talk about the experience. As there's no internet, you can't rely on any 'searches' until you are back home.

Alan, the British owner/manager, flitted in and out during my stay. He boasted about being a crystal healer and that we would do some 'work' on it later in the week but that didn't evolve. Instead, I was scolded for not going to morning chi gung after a night of vomiting. Thanks but if I can sleep, I'll take it. Alan seems to have a lot of knowledge about fasting - it's a shame he's not there more often to dispense it. People who are going through detoxes shouldn't be totally alone. Alan ended my visit with a "God Bless" which was a bit odd, given the Hindu location and Buddhist nature of the resort.

I was strongly encouraged to stay until the liver flush (usually day 4). I was ready to pack it in after day 3 and go stay with a friend/use my holiday in a different way. I was told, "It all happens in the liver flush." For me, nothing happened. I followed the instructions to the letter, drank the epsom salts, then the glass of olive oil/lemon juice, lay flat, etc. Nothing. I had hoped for more weight loss and it was very little.

The lack of outside communication is a bit unnerving, especially when you are puking your guts out. I actually wondered about leaving to call someone and it just seemed to be very daunting. There's the option to go and check email/make phone calls yet when I expressed a need to go to the internet cafe to transfer money, no one followed up on that. Credit cards are "accepted" but only Mastercard/Visa and only if there's a decent signal. You may read this and think, "Yeah, yeah" but when it's you who has to go to several ATM's to take out large sums of money to pay the bill, that's a different matter. Your bank will be alerted to someone taking about the maximum withdrawal amount (usually 3 million rupiah) and may 'halt' your card. You may then have to go home and do a bank transfer for the rest of the amount, adding up lots of time at the bank, the question if they will get it, etc. So, "yeah", that signal is pretty important when paying by credit card.

The villas are lovely and grand. You may end up sleeping downstairs as it's near the toilet. The outdoor bathrooms are a treat and the view over the ocean is amazing.The sauna is new, the pool is refreshing and the two guys who teach yoga and chi gung are lovely and friendly. I returned home with more energy, no coffee addiction and desire to eat very healthily, so I certainly reaped the rewards of the week. However, having been to retreats in Thailand, I would encourage people to go there - more information is given in the form of speakers each evening, reading material and sharing with other guests. The location is better in Bali but the detox is more supported in Thailand. I'm torn between hating the experience (I did) and chalking it up to another travel adventure.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SingaporeGo_Girl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amed
Fivelements Bali Retreat
Zen Resort Bali
Zen Resort Bali
#1 of 2 in Seririt
The Griya Villas and Spa

Been to Golden Rock Retreat? Share your experiences!