“Love this restaurant, fresh food, friendly staff”

Life in Amed Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Amed
Bali, Indonesia
“Love this restaurant, fresh food, friendly staff”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My friend and I had heard good things about this restaurant previously from a guest at our hotel, so we decided, seeing as we couldn't go much further on the bike without getting drenched that we would stop in for lunch. So glad we did. We got rained in as the heavens opened over Amed but we just sat in the comfy chairs drinking yummy mint and lemon refresher drinks and ginger tea. I had the chicken salad with dijon sauce which was really fresh and yummy. My friend had the vegetable coconut curry. Both were great, and the staff were so smiley, friendly and helpful. Plus we were able to confirm some more travel plans as we sat there listening to the rain as the WIFI was fast - probably the fastest/most reliable I've come across in Amed. I'd definitely recommend eating here. Can't say what it would be like to stay but the pool definitely looked nice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Adelaide
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We stayed in the Paradiso villa right on the beach. From the moment we checked in we felt comfortable and privileged to be in a very special part of Bali. The scenery on the drive from Ubud to Amed was stunning and an opportunity to see the diversity from mountains to sea. We were really happy with our room choice as we could wake up to stunning sunrises every morning and watch the fishermen taking their boats out for the day. We ended up eating at the restaurant for all our meals as we had had a very busy time before this holiday and really just relaxed. This was not a problem as their food is very good- both the local and western options. We had the ayam tutu on the last night which was just lovely. Great juices and soto ayam!! The staff were all fabulous, friendly and happy to have a chat (helpful with my trying to learn some Indonesian and Balinese), especially Susie who looked after us so well. Their refreshing drink is well worth having!!! Our room was large and was furnished with interesting art and furniture. The bed was very comfortable. The outdoor shower took me a day to try but was quite a delight with good pressure and temperature. It was hot and dry when we were there so we did appreciate the air conditioning and the pool was also a wonderful way to relax. We went on a day tour around the area and visited the water palaces which were very beautiful. There is actually a lot to do around the area, including great snorkelling and diving. A beautiful place with beautiful people and we hope to be back some day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank freedombird
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

In just one word this place is a haven of Balikissedseaviewingoodness!

The service is as attentive and genuine as they come.
Our room looked right out to the pool with the ocean just a whisper away (you can hear the waves rolling in when slumber calls)
It was very clean and decorated with gorgeous textiles from BaliZen - the ultimate in island chic decor.
The included breakfast was delish with even the pickiest of eaters finding a delightful tastebud tango.
The location was fabulous not right in the heart of Amed - but fun restaurants were just a quick drive away.
We hired a traditional fishing boat , right off our hotel path, to go snorkeling to the Japanese shipwreck - $35 USD including snorkel - bring your own if you got'em (;
Staff ran out the door after us after they found a sunglass case left behind.
Can't say enough good things.....will be back no doubt!
Book it !

Oh and Made and Wayan are quite the photographers - highly suggest a photo shoot with the colorful umbrellas provided in each room! (;

Room Tip: We had a 'beach cottage' by the pool - possibility to rent a room right on the beach. Also...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BuckBuckBuck
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed 3 May 2013

In an area not renowned for the quality and originality of its food, their small restaurant stands out. I go there just for nice fresh salads and other interesting appetizers to nibble on. So much of Amed is the typical Indonesian tourist items, so it is refreshing to see an owner take their food seriously.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
san francisco
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We were in Amed just a few days in early April to explore the diving in the area which was was spectacular if you are a diver! We saw some incredible sea life including a small shark, eels, sting rays, and a sea turtle.

Life in Amed is a cute, comfortable, cozy and peaceful place to stay and eat.

First, my pre-trip experience online was quick seamless. I emailed a bit with Sarah, the owner, who coincindentally was in the same neighborhood in San Francisco I was in when I was typing out emails to her! Unfortunately, we were unable to meet in person, but I thought that goes to show how small the world really is.

I digress...

At Life, we were greeted and processed very quickly upon arrival. The place is small and intimate which I loved. We rented one of the cottages by the pool (I think #4). It's pretty basic, but we spent most of our time outside anyway. The cottages are two floors, one queen/king bed on the bottom, and two add'l twins on the second (which we didn't use). The bathroom is semi-outside - with the cool stone shower completely outside. The toiletries had a lovely scent :). Next time, I'd opt to coming to Life in Amed with a few other people and get the large villa (Paradiso?). These seemed to have more light and room to spread out. But for a pretty inexpensive price, the cottage was just fine.

I didn't take advantage of the room service because I loved walking up to the restaurant and talking with the people that work there who were so kind and willing to engage. The food was excellent everytime. The menu is geared towards Europeans and ex-Pats - all organic and lots of vegetarian options. We especially like the Indonesian tempeh dish which I'm going to figure out how to cook now that I am home!

I will say that Life in Amed is not exactly in Amed, but in Lean. It was a bit further that anticipated (we had our dive school driver drive us - they had to head back to Kuta after our drop off so I felt a little bad about the distance, but what could I do?). And, when we had to head back to the Denpasar Airport at night, the drive was a bit treacherous (the drivers are crazy!). If possible, I'd strongly recommend heading back to the Denpasar / Kuta / Legian area during the day and hanging in that area before you leave.

All in all a great stay. I loved that Amed is so peaceful, relaxing and just a beautiful place to be. I wouldn't say it has all the exciting activities you'd get down south, but I think that defeats why one would could to Amed in the first place. It was just a good time for the soul and spirit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank janchunk
dublin
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I have been meaning to write a review about this sweet little place for quite some time, having visited here may times over the last few years. I keep coming back because I love chilled out vibe and I love the intimacy and eclectic funkiness of the rooms. The staff are lovely and the sunrise views from the beach are amazing, not to mention the food I believe the restaurant has the best salads in Amed, it also has the best chocolate cake for sure. If you come in a group the jewel of the place is the perfumed garden, a spacious villa with pool. It has an amazing view of the beach and incredible decor. (The designer/owner has impeccable taste)The whole place has really been put together with an eye for detail and guest comfort, and very family friendly.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We are just back from spending two nights at Life in Amed and only wish we had worked our time in Bali to include more nights there. Out of the three hotels we stayed at during our trip this was everyone's favorite. A great experience to get the feel of old Bali and away from the tourist hot spots.

From before we arrived we had a positive experience with the staff. Our emails were always promptly answered and they were helpful in choosing the appropriate room for our needs as a family of four (2 adults and 2 children ages 4,2). We booked the Sari Sunrise right on the ocean with two floors. The downstairs had a king bed and bathroom and outdoor bathtub and shower that the kids loved. The upstairs had a bath as well and a balcony overlooking the ocean.

Upon arrival we were warmly welcomed, quickly processed through checkin and shown our room. The grounds are very well cared for and the love and attention of the owners are clearly shown through the attention to detail in designing the rooms, furnishing, decor, colors and overall creates a beautiful experience. The small gift shop also shows the attention to detail and is well stocked with thoughtful items.

We spent time at the pool, walking along the beach collecting sea shells and talking to people from the local village who were all so welcoming. We woke up early every morning to watch the sunrise which was always a worth it. I loved seeing all the fishing boats out in the water during sunrise and then about 90 minutes later hearing them all coming in with their catches. My husband did a dive trip with ECO dive one day. He then worked with the receptionist to arrange for a massage one afternoon in our room for me which was wonderful.

We ate all our meals at the restaurant and thought our food was delicious every time. The kids also had many, many options which was such a relief when traveling with young kids who tend to be a little pickier. From fresh seafood to our Balinese dishes, the food was healthy, fresh and wonderfully prepared. Service was great as well at the restaurant. With traveling with kids we would eat our meals earlier in the evening and found that we were finishing up just before other patrons were heading out which was also nice to not have to worry about bothering others.

The whole staff at Life was incredibly attentive, helpful, welcoming of our children and made our stay even more enjoyable.

We only booked two nights originally because we were concerned about activities for the kids. We would have easily stayed two or three more nights. The hotel was very accommodating to kids and even with other couples there we found that most people were gone during the day either diving or exploring and often times were the only ones at the pool. Also, the amount of space we had in the Sari Sunrise was great.

LIfe in Amed made our trip to Bali so much more memorable and if we make it back to Bali it will be a place we will return to for sure and will highly recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Sari Sunrise was a great fit for a family of four with two young kids, 4 and 2. Great sunrise views!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family