“Great location/good bed, but that smell”

Best Western Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Towson
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great location/good bed, but that smell”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I was here for four nights while my daughter was in a lacrosse camp at the University. The hotel is conveniently located, just a few minutes from the large shopping mall and from the University. The breakfast was actually pretty good and the staff was very attentive down there. I also had lunch once in the Vietnamese restaurant on site and it was delicious. My biggest issue was with the smell. I don't know if it is what they use to clean things with or if they are trying to hide something but there was this smell that left me with a sore throat and a headache. I guess I am sensitive to smells. I would stay here again in a pinch but might search elsewhere first

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Dover, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Nice bar. Average hotel breakfast. Staff were constantly cleaning-especially in breakfast area, which was quite impressive. Bar tenders were highlight of stay---they can really mix a drink! Kudos! Front desk staff were hit or miss but no major issues. Location was great and pricing was unbeatable for weekend rates.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Sean M
BridgetDely, Manager at Best Western Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
We are pleased you decided to stay. We hope to see you again when you are in the area.
North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I always trust Tripadvisor. But, not on this one. The hotel is cheap, and there is a reason why.
It is filthy, and smells terrible. The two men out front are not drunk as one review stated. They are nice, with handicapps. But, they do walk around the hotel, and scared the children.
On our 2nd floor they held some sort of seminar and there were all sort of people walking around freely on the guest floor, which I found odd, and not too safe. Considering it was right beside our room. There are all sorts of people walking around this hotel all day. My biggest complaint is how dirty it is, and the smell. I am sorry, but I definitely would not stay here again. I don't think I would consider another Best Western after this. Life guard at the pool does not speak any English, he sits in a corner with his Ipod and ear buds. Front Desk girls are very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!!
3 Thank Iveybell

Travellers are raving about these Towson hotels

Lansing, New York
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Here's my experience the last two visits with the BEST WESTERN PLUS Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites:

Last year my 82 yr old mom and I traveled to Baltimore for her cousin's funeral. She had a handicapped room at this property and the hand held shower unit wasn't correctly installed and fell on and cut her foot. The staff was very attentive and kind but didn't have a first aid kit.

Sadly this year another cousin died and I called for a reservation on Sunday evening for two rooms on Monday so we could attend his services. I was on hold several minutes and the person who answered the phone checked on me a few times to say she'd be back with me as soon as she could. After several minutes (I think more than 10) the harried staffer took my request for two separate rooms - one for a handicapped guest - for one night arriving Monday. It was chaotic in the background and I was hesitant to pass along my credit card info over the phone and the staff member confirmed in haste that it wasn't necessary to hold our rooms with a credit card since we didn't expect to arrive late the next day. Sadly, when my now 83 year old mom and I arrived on Mon at 3:30 pm the reservation had been put in the system for the night I called and the front desk staff refused to honor the prices for each room; indeed, the prices they offered were more than 50 percent higher.

We left to stay at another property less than a mile away and it cost much less. The rooms were clean. The staff was helpful. We will never return to the Best Western.

(I tried to provide this written feedback to the hotel directly; alas, I can t find a link.)

1 Thank AMKrook
BridgetDely, Manager at Best Western Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
We are sorry to hear that your stay was not a pleasant one. We are making changes constantly and with these improvements, we do hope you will give our hotel another chance. Thank you in advance
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Over the past several months. I have had quite a number of overnight visits to Rockville MD. My daughter has been expecting her second child. Because of its convenient location I have used BW Plus Towson. The staff has been accommodating above and beyond the norm. We have found the rooms to be comfortable and clean. There breakfast is a generous start to the day. We will continue to use them as our little family grows, and the rewards program is a nice bonus on top of everything else.

Room Tip: I have found rooms close to the elevators a pkus.
Green Features: Smoke free rooms are truly smoke free. I have found the environment to be well kept and welcoming.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for enjoying your stay and we hope to see you again.
Seaford, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I just stayed there this weekend. I was immediately greeted by two drunk bums in the front of the hotel. My immediate reaction was that the hotel was felt trashy. The staff is very nice but the room I was in was disgusting - right by the elevator and ice machine. The noise started at 5 a.m. The walls were paper thin. Could not sleep. There were so many stains on one of the mattresses that I had to have my daughter sleep in the bed with me. The pillowcases were dirty with someones hair on them. The carpet and chair felt stained and dirty - we felt like we couldn't take our shoes off so we showered with the flip flops. The breakfast was ok. Would never stay there again. Couldn't wait to leave. What a waste of money!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KatherineR113
Chardon, Ohio
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here during a quick trip to Baltimore for a funeral. It was held in Dundalk and we were able to get there in less than 1/2 hour as the hotel is easy off/on the beltway. We arrived late, after 10 pm and the bar was still open so we could relax. The breakfast bar in the morning was delicious.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towson
Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel
#2 of 3 in Timonium
Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys
Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys
#29 of 66 in Baltimore

Been to Best Western Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!