“A beautiful coastal gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lily Amed Beach Bungalows

Lily Amed Beach Bungalows
Ranked #2 of 52 Karangasem B&B and Inns
“A beautiful coastal gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

We were so lucky to stumble into this place on a rainy day! It was just what we needed :-) sasha and her staff are so friendly and helpful it was refreshing. Staying here for a week was the best thing we did in Bali! I could live in that mezzanine bungalow forever. Perfect for yoga upstairs or outside and the bar area is so comfy and relaxing. Homemade bread with breakfast and an amazing view of mt. Agung which you can't miss at sunset. All set in a lovely little town with good cheap eats and Krishna playing live music with mates next door, you just feel comfortable in no time! Sasha is an inspiration and was so great to talk to.

...And as joyous as new babies are just cross your fingers that no new births occur (which causes massive and interesting celebration) during your stay ;)

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sara l
Sash P, Owner at Lily Amed Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you very much Sara for your review, i will always remember your kind words that
"Our room is just perfect". I hope the rest of your holidays went well and thank you again.
I also remember you and Tom saying you we're already missing Lily Amed before you left !
Sasha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brno, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

I arrived to Lily Amed Beach Bungalows sick and tired, and left healed, restored, full of beauty, peace and happiness.

Before, I was a bit unlucky and contracted Dengue fever in the busy south part of Bali (Sanur). Although I went through it without complications, I still needed to fully recover. Apparently, it can take up to 5 weeks or even more to fully recover. For my recovery, we wanted to move to some peaceful and less busy place, and we chose Lily... and I'm so glad we did! At Lily, I recovered fully in just 6 days.

Right after we arrived, I could tell this place was created with great care and love. There is a garden full of interesting and useful trees, plants and herbs (you are invited to pick some!), with a swing for two, a gazebo, and yet another one with beautiful view of the mt. Agung (don't miss the sunset there!) On the beach side, there is an extremely comfortable large day bed and two hammocks, all in shade.

If you are lucky, you can spot lots of critters on the garden, including crabs, lizards, geckos, dragon flies, giant African snails, butterflies, many birds, and other animals.

The whole place is very clean, and extreme attention is paid to even the smallest details. Whenever Sasha (the lady who built and owns this place) encounters any complaint or problem, she fixes it for good - and so the place is full of handwritten signs with useful information.

The beds are *very* comfortable, bathroom is beautiful and clean, toilets have western flushing. In the upper rooms, you can open the windows and enjoy sea breeze.

And Sasha is another whole story - she is a very evolved human being, caring, kind and inspiring. Whenever present, she is always on your side, trying to help you save money and enjoy the place as much as possible. I learned a great deal from her.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jiri N
Thank you very much George and Lucy for your kind words. I feel really great to read that Lily
Amed helped you to quickly recover from D. Fever. I am so glad you came and stayed with us.
You looked much healthier with colour in your cheeks when you left. It made me feel really really happy.
Capitola, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

We booked a room based on the good reviews but was still very positive surprised when we arrived. We had an upper room and the room was beautifully decorated with a wonderful view of the ocean. Unfortunately, the fan and the open windows didn't cool down the room at night so it made the sleeping very difficult.
We were the only guests there and it was very hard to find the staff when you needed them. (even though we used the bell)
I would have given this guesthouse 5 stars if it had AC and staff easily available, being the only guests didn't help either. We never met the owner, we were told she was in England.

Room Tip: Choose an upper room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi,
Thank you for your comments saying you would have given my hotel 5 star if a couple of problems
were not encountered by you when you stayed there,
I would like to answer the issues in the following order.
1) I am a foreign owner and I have commitments abroad and visit and stay at my hotel every other
Month and take my responsibility seriously indeed. I created this hotel mainly single handedly
and have worked very hard at it for 5 years, most of my Guest find it very comfortable.
2) i was very distressed to read you could not find any staff. They are paid much better wages
than any hotel there. I even share my profits with them above their wages. They have been with
Me for nearly 5 years ! They apologized for not being available for you when you needed them.
They promised to be available at all times for my guests. I too apologies on their behalf.
3) In the 5 years we have been in business no one has complained of not having Air Conditioning.
October is the hottest month of the year but all my rooms have more than 10 windows which can
be opened for lovely cross ventilation of clean Bali Sea Air. Mosquitoes are not a big problem .
We plug in electronic mosquito repellent unit, evening and night. I created this rustic and
quiet and very close to nature place to be Eco friendly. When you are so close to this lovely
Bali Sea, it would be a waste to not to enjoy the clean sea breeze by shutting all the windows !!!
Luckily for me 99 % of my guests agree with me and enjoy being close to nature.
Sasha

My staff apologized for being out of the
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

Lili amed is a fantastic place to stay. It s right on the beach with a great view of mount agung. You get a beautiful sunrise and sunset from the same spot. The price quality ratio is perfect. Dont expect the luxury of a 5 star resort, but the homy rooms, amazing location and friendly service are worth 10 times more (if you ask me)!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank robjedesbois
Hi,
I am really pleased to read your reviews. Your ratings are very thoughtful indeed.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

We were recommended Lily's by a friend who had stayed before, and we weren't disappointed. Having been travelling around SE Asia for a couple of months, we needed to slow down a bit and save some money and Amed was the place to do it!

The room was big and comfortable and the shower always hot and the pancakes for breakfast were lovely. If you are the sort of person who has to have A/C then Lily's isn't the place for you, but with the fans blowing across the bed all night it was very comfortable.

The black sand beach was at the back gate and the water so clear and refreshing. A short walk up the beach and you had coral to snorkel at without the need for a boat.

Warungs on both sides of the guesthouse serve excellent food and are incredibly cheap to boot. The guys at Bali Relax next door made us feel very welcome.

Sasha the owner was incredibly helpful with our booking when we contacted her by email, and although she was in England at the time of our visit, her staff Krishna looked after us very well. Krishna also plays at some of the local warungs in the evenings and you should try and catch him, he's really quite good!

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are perfectly good, and although there is no "view" from the room...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SashaLily, Owner at Lily Amed Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Dear Friends,
I thank you for your lovely reviews. I do hope you would come again.
Regards,
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I found Lili Amed just walking on the beach one evening as I did not like my previous place. I spoke to other tourists who stayed here and they recommended Lili Amed to me. I stayed in the apartment with the sea view. Lili Amed has nice location you can relax here just on the beach. I was 3 nights only customer and I really enjoyed it. I stayed at Lili 5 nights. I got on very well with Krishna and Wayan who take care of the place. We played guitar and sing songs in free time. I felt very welcome. If you are alone and you stay at Lili Amed do not get scared in the evening as it is there one person for security in the garden. I just found it out in the morning that I was scared of this person and it was father of Wayan :o)
The sea is really great for swimming, much better than in Gili Islands as corals are not sharp and sea is calm. There is nice view on the mountains. If you just want to relax and be lazy some day the staff can order you lunch. In the evening there are few places where you can go to see live bands. You can always find somebody who takes you by scooter to show arround Jemeluk for snorkling and it is also nice to see traditional part close to Amed Seraya where people live traditional way. I found people very friendly in Amed, I liked it more than Gili Islands. I highly recommend it.

Important information for Bali and Gili Islands
I recommmend to drink closed drinks in the bottle as after holiday I found out that Bali and Gili Islands are having big problem that they add methylalkohol into the drinks so please be aware of this as there have been a lot of bad accidents so just better stay safe. You can not find this in lonely planet information, but if you research more on the internet you will find this out. Safest way is not to drink coctails and do not drink Arak. Just buy drinks in the bottles.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Alena M
Dear Friends,
Thank you for your kind reviews and I appreciate it very much, hope you would come again.
Regards,
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at Lily Amed for 2 nights in July. The stay did not start out well as they lost our reservation. As we were on our honeymoon, I had called and requested a top floor room with a balcony and a view. Instead, we got a ground floor, with a view of a cement wall. We decided to stay however, and were not disappointed otherwise. The room was very spacious with a comfy bed and nice shower with hot water. It was also fairly quiet. You could hear people walking upstairs, but it was not enough to disturb your sleep. The grounds and gardens are very beautiful and when you walk out on the beautiful black sand beach, you have an amazing view of Gunung Agung. Be prepared to take amazing sunset pictures. The breakfast was average. The wifi was ok here but we could not skype with it.
You can snorkel right in front of Lily Amed and see coral and plenty of fish. If you walk about 15 min South down to Jemeluk beach, the snorkeling is amazing. Just a couple of feet out and there is tons of coral and lots of different fish species. There are also a couple of ladies that offer great massages for 50000 rph right on the beach here, one was named Wayan.
For dinner, we highly recommend Warung Enak. Just a 2 min walk North of Lily Amed, on the other side of the street. The food is really really good.
There are lots of new, really nice hotels popping up around Amed but if you are looking for a quiet, simple, homestay, then Lily Amed is a good choice.

Room Tip: Top floor with balcony, as you can hear people walking upstairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crittermedic11
SashaLily, Owner at Lily Amed Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Hi There,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that my staff lost your booking and
you ended up in the ground floor lower rate room. July has been rather busy.
I am sorry i was not there due to my home commitments in England.
I will be going there in 6 weeks time to make further improvements. I do hope
you and your friends / family will visit and enjoy the mezzanine incorporated
rooms with full sea views in front in future days. Do email me in advance so
i can make sure you have a better time. My email address is pillai120@gmail.com
I wish you BOTH many many very happy and peaceful married future.
Best Wishes,
sasha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karangasem
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort
Bubu Racok Homestay
Bubu Racok Homestay
#4 of 65 in Amed
Bila Restaurant & Bungalows / No Fear Diving Scuba

Been to Lily Amed Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!