“A slice of paradise”

Great Mountain Views Villa Resort
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I would definitely recommend this place for a few days of rest and relaxation, especially if you are tired of the hustle and bustle of Ubud or south Bali and would like to see a slice of 'real Bali'. Wayan and Nyoman who run the resort are wonderful and extremely accommodating hosts, the views are stunning, the bungalows are private and comfortable and there are lots of activities on offer ... such as cooking classes, massage, dance lessons, trekking, rafting etc. The woman who does massages is excellent, the best we experienced in Bali. You can stroll through the rice fields or village and everyone calls out and says hello, it really does feel like authentic Bali. We travelled as a large party, five adults and four children and everyone had a great time. My husband hiked up Agung with a guide and was a little disappointed in the guide's ability and personal skills, but otherwise all the other activities we took part in were of an excellent standard. We travelled all over Bali and this place was a highlight for us, mostly because of the fantastic staff. I'd recommend a two or three night stay here. We had had an experience in Ubud with a not-so-friendly German host/hotel owner who complained about our young kids making noise (thats what kids do!) so it was a breath of fresh air to arrive at Great Mountain. Thanks a million.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I booked GMV through there website and right from the outset Clare (based in England) was very helpful as I was trying to organise to also do a trek up Mt Agung during my staying. My welcome by Made and Wayan was very warm, during my whole stay I was made to feel like an honored guest. Although I had initially booked the basic villa I was upgrade to the top storey villa with a magical balcony view over the rice fields and of course Mt Agung. On my first day I ate in the restaurant and had a delicious ginger and pumpkin soup followed by chicken and vegetables. As was organized from Australia I trekked up Mt Agung via the Besakih track. Made my Balinese guide was fabulous he did not speak a lot of English but then nor could I speak much Indonesian but we got on very well although I guess we had to as I was the only 1 on the trek. If you want to know more about the trek please contact me. Nyoman the manager, husband of Wayan was also very friendly with a good sense of humor. After the trek I was very stiff and sore and Nyoman suggested the I house masseur, she was brilliant after a 1 hour massage I was able to walk without looking like a 100 year man. As to the room yes as previous reviewers have remarked the top villa can get nature coming in, but I looked upon this as part of the rustic charm. The hot water system works if you read the instructions printed on the heater itself (thankfully after 1 cold shower I took the time to read the instructions). All in all a fabulous place to view Mt Agung and feel a bit more connected with nature, thank you GMV. By the way in review prior to mine it said it is 45 minutes to the airport, no way at an absolute minimum it is probably 2 hours.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank geoffofulladulla
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

I missed out on exploring the village, their festivities and the surrounding areas because of a problem with my leg. I used those 3 days to recuperate and take in the great sights and sounds.

The sounds often were temple chants and bhajans. The chants were charming.

I opted for the top room, a picture of which I've posted. The top room is not air conditioned while the bottom one is. Air con was unnecessary at the time i went in. I think there were one, maybe 2 other guests on the property.

I was lucky to wake up to a clear day the next and a spectacular view. That's much of all I did. Look.

It'd be nice if they sealed the open gap in the top room with a mosquito mesh. Without it, a lot of things crawl in- large insects, frogs, tikkus (rats). Potentially anything that can climb a wall. I also didn't have hot water because the water heater was broken. A little attention to things like this may go some way for the price point the resort chooses to be in.

Niyoman, his wife and the staff were welcoming and many very humble. I hope the resort prospers and wish them well.

I love Indonesia and her people. Will definitely return to her.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

I apologize for coming in 6 months late with this review.

I chose this, what turned out to be, a family run resort simply for its close proximity to Grand Agung. My first time in Bali but I didn't mind not being in the hub of all the action although I'd like to explore it some day.

It's approximately a 45 minute ride from the airport. A ride that the hotel can arrange for you. Sunny at the airport but misty by the time we drove into the gate. Because it was off season, I got to choose my room in the category that I booked- downstairs air conditioned or up stairs not air conditioned but with a large deck. I took up.

Reasonably large room with a mosquito netted double bed and a deck for nothing but spectacular viewing and contemplating. Out doors bathroom attached. What I hadn't factored in was the unpredictable misty weather that would render the whole point of the hotel useless because one could not even tell that there might have been a mountain in the vicinity. That was my first day, a misty 'no view' one.

But as luck would have it, when I woke up the next day, lo and I beheld the grandest view I could imagine. Luck. Breathtaking Mt. Agung in all its splendor.

Suggestion- since the top room wall that opens into the deck is only 8/10ths tall, all sorts of things creep in after sun set. Please seal it.

Nyoman and his wife were wonderful hosts. His village doctor friend can set right a sprained ankle. Perfect if the room was fixed.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful place to stay for a few days. Nyoman and Wayan are great hosts and will make sure you have enough things to do during your stay. It is remote though, much more so than Sideman, so you'll need your own transport to get there. Or else you can contact Nyoman and he'll have a driver pick you up for a fee. There is no wifi and Nyoman's overworked laptop has seen better days with the slow Internet, but you didn't come here to check your Facebook anyways!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank slakjaw
Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

Really helpful friendly staff, spectacular views, the rooms were a dream come true after 2 months backpacking. Outside shower with warm water was divine.
Nuymen helped arrange our climb and our visit to the local medicine man.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, if u are climbing mount Gunung u have to stay here!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank karinaleahy
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Me and my husband spent 2 nights at the GMV during our honeymoon and enjoyed our time there. The place is quiet but has a wonderful view on the rice terrace and the Gunung Agung (if not too cloudy). It's a nice play to stay if you plan on going to see the sunrise on Agung. The hosts (Wayan, Nyoman and family) are very nice, helpful and available. The food at the restaurant is really well-prepared and fresh ! If you like cooking, we recommend you take a cooking class with Wayan, she taught us how to make Balinese specialities, yummy ! The room are very clean, comfortable and have exterior bathroom (very charming). But, you definitely want to bring earplugs for sleep, because of the roosters (we can hear them from 3am to the sunset...). Very authentic place !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karangasem
Salacca Inn
#10 of 18 in Sidemen
Manggis Garden
Manggis Garden
#3 of 8 in Manggis

Been to Great Mountain Views Villa Resort? Share your experiences!