“Fabulous!”
Review of Villa Flow

Villa Flow
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had a marvelous stay at Villa Flow last weekend.
It's a beautiful place in a great area of Bali; quiet, peaceful and authentic.
If you are looking for a relaxing stay with great outdoor cycling and hiking options in Bali like it used to be,
And if you enjoy healthy delicious food,
This is your place to go!

With a driver you can also explore other parts like Ubud or Seminyak, but we were happy to get back to Flow after the ride!

Room Tip: Only six rooms, all fine!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 November 2013

One of the greatest places I have ever been!
Beautiful location, the villa is magnificent! The staff is very helpfull and nice and the food is GREAT!
Would recommend this place to everyone and will definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This was the first time I traveled to Bali. Well, unfortunately the trip is not meant for leisure travel as it was a business trip. Nevertheless, thanks to Villa Flow for making this trip memorable. You will find complete peace there as it was surrounded by gardens, plants and trees. There are lots more, but they are too beautiful fill in the margin here. You must experience yourself rather than just listening. If you have a chance, Villa Flow is a great place to visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Villa Flow is a hidden gem off the beaten track, which is hard to come by in Bali as most spots have already been discovered. Our stay was absolutely lovely and here are some highlights that we will dearly cherish:
- Attentive service from the bottom of the heart and excellent advice on cuisine, activities and transportation methods eg. from Bali to Lombok and back
- Stunning scenery and warm property that made us feel at home from the moment we arrived
- Unique experience with delicious organic food from the garden, detox, yoga, massage and many other cool facilities
- Off the beaten track, so not crowded and touristy as Nusa Dua and the rest of the island

We would consider ourselves seasoned travelers and Villa Flow is a must-stay boutique hotel that we would highly recommend to anyone going to Bali. We will definitely go back to enjoy this excellent property.

Room Tip: We had the opportunity to stay on either top or bottom floor, but they both looked equally great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Attentive and friendly staff! Food is healthy and delicious! It is really a real Bali experience!
The view is great, villa flow is built overlooking the sea... This gives a very relaxing and enjoying get away!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had a fantastic holiday in Villa Flow. The staff is super-nice and professional, the view is breathtaking, the food is really yummy and the lounge chairs and pool are very relaxing.
A massage or manicure/pedicure on their terrace with views on the palm trees and the sea is almost unreal.
We enjoyed the snorkling and diving at Amed and the White sand beach. Hikes through the rice fields with the vulcano on the background is quite an experience.
Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I'm almost hesitant to write this review because I'd like to preserve this place for myself! As we walked through the threshold of the gates, I knew we were in heaven. We could immediately see the ocean in the distance, with the infinity pool and beautiful grounds framing the view. Upon arrival, we were immediately ushered into the open-air living room (with gorgeous furnishings - it feels like a 5 star hotel) and brought fresh juice and tea while we checked in. After check in, we were taken to our room. We were on the second floor of the main building in the back. We didn't have a private balcony - but I'll discuss that further in a moment. We stayed for two nights. We arrived around 4pm - after getting settled in our room, we enjoyed a Bintang pool-side. The pool was quiet and warm, with lots of good places to rest and swim. The pool chairs were comfy and sturdy, and the pool towels resting on each chair were large and thick. We had dinner at Villa Flow the first night. It was langostines (I think - little shrimp-looking things), corn, and maybe quinoa. All delicious. It was probably a little on the light side for us - but honestly, we needed it after lots of heavy vacation-eating. I think I lost weight there, but I never went hungry or felt deprived in anyway. I felt clean and refreshed. Note that they only serve beer - but it appeared as though you could have brought your own wine. You can dine wherever you please - there are two floors of outdoor living areas, and you can also dine on your own balcony if your room has one. We enjoyed breakfast both days - I had a fluffy egg white omelet and coconut pancakes, with juice and tea. The fresh juice was a delight! I felt so nourished and hydrated with all the tasty beverages. On our first full day, we headed out for scuba diving and then enjoyed the afternoon by the pool. We enjoyed tempeh sushi for lunch with carrot-ginger soup. I loved it - but it was really a "snack" for my husband. That afternoon we both enjoyed massages by the priest. We thought the pressure was a little much, but it was still a really good massage. The second night we headed to Candidasa for dinner at the recommendation of the hotel. It was good, but a 30 minute drive each way seemed a bit long. The second morning I had a private yoga session with Kawi. He is awesome! He was the same quality if not better than may top notch NYC yoga teachers, and, his English is understandable, so he could really get into yoga philosophy which I loved. The yoga room (which is also the massage room) is semi-outside. So I could hear the frogs and other creatures making fun noises. I could even see one frog! The one thing to note is that because the room is only enclosed with a wall on one side, and curtains on the other 3 sides, including the side effacing the main part of the villa, there was some noise. One guest was gabbing on and on for food during my massage, and then her child was screaming during my yoga session. That's sort of the one piece to mention - while there are lots of great outdoor living spaces, they are public - so you'll be sharing them with others. Other guests might have children or might treat those spaces like they would their own home. Another family staying at the Villa while we were there left a lot of their things (including clothing) pretty much all over the hotel - on the large sofas directly outside our room, (unused) swim diapers on the chairs by the pool, strollers, toys, all over pretty much. My husband even saw one man lounging in boxer-briefs on one of the public sofas right outside our room. It was just a little odd - but honestly, that could happen at any hotel! And, the staff really made an effort to pick up the items scattered around - but I think something should have been said to the guests, but that's really just not the lifestyle there.
Those things were really very minor though. We had plenty of privacy (the room was spacious - just not really anywhere to sit other than the bed) - and we were almost always at the pool by ourselves. If anyone joined us it would be the resident yellow lab - Beau. Beau is about 3 years old but he's a total puppy. He loves to be cuddled and he loves to play. And, if you don't like dogs, the hotel staff will gladly keep him away.
I noticed a few comments on noise and bathrooms. Yes, there is no door on the bathroom, but the toilet isn't directly visible from the rest of the room (at least it wasn't in our room), and, it's so easy to go outside that we rarely had issues. Even if you wanted to shower (which was visible from the room) the other person could just go out into the patio. We didn't have any issues with noise. There are roosters, but we found that to be the case pretty much all over Bali. There weren't any roosters running around the villa though. I didn't hear much road noise at all - maybe there was a cremation ceremony going on? I also didn't see any trash on the roads. I think one of the other reviewers had an isolated experience. Compared to the other areas we went to in Bali (Kuta and Ubud) we found Villa Flow to be incredibly remote and serene.
Also, note that even if you find the meals kind of light there are plenty of places to eat out at (a cab will drive you for next to nothing and some of the restaurants even offered free transfers) and you can always order extra food or snacks. The staff will pretty much do anything for you. Kirsten is awesome - she really sets a great tone at the villa. She is so calm and relaxed but also willing to serve your every need, I felt like that attitude really permeated throughout the villa and the experience.
So we've been back from Bali for about 5 weeks, and I still mention Villa Flow regularly. I cannot wait to go back. When we go back to Bali, Villa Flow will absolutely be on our list.
Also, note that it's about two hours transfer from Kuta/Legian. We hired a car for the day and stopped at the bat cave and the water garden/temple on the way (which is very close) and also stopped for lunch. It was about US$45. After our two nights at Villa Flow, we transferred to Ubud, again, for $45. We stopped at the Elephant Temple on the way - we could have also done Mt. Batur (and probably should have) but we'd already booked a bike tour our of Ubud (which we don't recommend doing).
Also, we didn't do the "White Sand Beach" trip, but we would have had we been there another day. We heard great things about it from other guests. Overall, Villa Flow is a serene, relaxing experience. I think it's for city folk (like us) as well as people who like a more relaxed lifestyle. There is plenty to do at the resort and outside, and lots of great space to take in the beauty of East Bali. The only thing I would change is that I'd fork over the extra cash for a private balcony or the honeymoon villa (it was a separate little two story villa away from the main building, with it's own porch). I like having some private outdoor space when on vacation!
I really just can't wait to go back....I might need to go look for airplane tickets right now!

Room Tip: If you can swing it, spring for the private balcony!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
VillaFlowBali, Manager at Villa Flow, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Tahitijess,

Thank you so much for your wonderful and extensive review!

We are pleased to hear how much you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and we have passed on the compliments to Kawi, our Yoga teacher.

Villa Flow is built as a place where people meet and share experiences, therefore some of our Rooms share the large roof top terrace, where you can find cozy sofa-lounge areas as well as a dining area, which allows you to have dinner under the stars. For all guests who are looking for more privacy, we also have some Rooms with a private balcony. Guests can always mention a certain room preference at the time of booking - we will always do our best to honor the guest requests however due to at times limited availability at Villa Flow we cannot not always guarantee this.
Rest assured for your next stay, I will ensure that you will be accommodated in one of our rooms with a private balcony!

Once again, thank you for so elaborately sharing your experience and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,