“Cooking school”

Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Bali Asli is located in Gelumpang village, near the town of Amlapura, the capital of Karangasem regency, in the North East of Bali. About 2 hours drive from the airport, and 30 minutes from Candidasa village, and 30 minutes from Amed village. Nestled in the foot hills of Mount Agung, Bali's most sacred mountain, surrounded by rice fields, there is not a building to be seen. Bali Asli promotes Balinese cuisine and culture without exploiting it or it's people. We embrace our community, supporting those who fish, farm and forage in the near by fields, ocean and jungle. Our menu offers authentic Balinese food using a traditional Balinese style kitchen, cooking on wood-fired, mud brick stoves, allowing the real flavours of Bali to shine. Most of our ingredients are either grown in our garden, in our neighbour's garden or purchased from the local market The cooking school runs unique classes themed on "a day in the life of..." every class includes an adventure into local areas off the beaten track. Weather it is learning how to plant rice or plough with a cow, fishing in a jukung canoe and cooking on an open fire or making cocktails from cashew nut wine, our students always leave with fond memories and new skills to experiment with when they get home.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This my first review ever but I was so inspired afterI visited the cooking school on 3rd May. Due to a misunderstanding very possibly my fault I was not expected and Penny had gone to the market. It was not a problem for Penny who when she returned made me so very welcome. I had a one on one cooking lesson. It was a wonderful experience and I learned so much about Balinese culture and spices. I had to cook my own lunch and then enjoy it with the magnificent view of My Agung. The nasi Goreng was the best I have ever had.Penny is a very genuine and lovely person. I am now back in Australia and have already recommended the course to some friends. If you are interested in Balinese cuisine visiting Bali Asli is a must.

1  Thank Portia27

Reviewed 6 May 2014

A fantastic experience and an absolute must for any visitor to the Karangasem area. Bali Asli is an amazing place and offers great food and we had a wonderful time experiencing a day in the life of a fisherman.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Bali offers many cooking classes but none compare to the Bali Asli experience. Chef Penelope Williams makes magic happen. I experienced the 'Day in the Life of a Balinese Lady' in order to travel to the morning market in nearby Amlapura with Penny. She is an expert on local ingredients and local recipes and clearly understands the traditions, culture and influence of that region. You will learn to make exquisite dishes then enjoy them at her restaurant. Be sure to have a locally inspired cocktail or two. Well worth the drive if you are staying in Ubud or Sanur. See you again Penny!

BaliAslirestaurant, Owner at Bali Asli Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Kaneohe,
Thank you very much your you wonderful review, Im very happy to know that I made magic happen for you!
I hope that your culinary adventure to the market and the dishes that we cooked together have left you with inspiration to experiment on your friends.
I look forwards to sharing some more recipes with you next time.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Great food and wine. Well-trained staffs. Food was decilious and tasty in all ways. We definitely come back in our next vacation to Bali.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stopped in after touring around the beautiful areas of Sideman and Tirtagangga - off the main drag and along a small road, the views from this place completed the day.

It was a quiet day, and Penny the Australian exec chef spent a bit of time with us explaining the background of the restaurant. She loves being able to shop the markets every day and harvest from the nearby gardens to produce fresh seasonal food.

We had a set meal (megibung) which included samples of all the dishes - a stressless way to order.

The restaurant serves meat but no dairy - I forgot to ask why. My pick of dishes was a spiced coconut curd wrapped in leaf and steamed or grilled. Must try!

Homemade ginger beer to accompany. Lots of drinks choice otherwise. Exceptional Bali coffee.

Its the sort of place you could chill out and spend the after noon. Loos with a view too.

Penny is supported by a team of locals who together cook great food.

Worked out about AUD$25 a head but well worth it.

Highly recommended for a special occasion.