“Bali Asli -fantastic experience”

Bali Asli Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 145 Restaurants in Karangasem
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Bali Asli is located in Gelumpang village, near the town of Amlapura, the capital of Karangasem regency, in the North East of Bali. About 2 hours drive from the airport, and 30 minutes from Candidasa village, and 30 minutes from Amed village. Nestled in the foot hills of Mount Agung, Bali's most sacred mountain, surrounded by rice fields, there is not a building to be seen. Bali Asli promotes Balinese cuisine and culture without exploiting it or it's people. We embrace our community, supporting those who fish, farm and forage in the near by fields, ocean and jungle. Our menu offers authentic Balinese food using a traditional Balinese style kitchen, cooking on wood-fired, mud brick stoves, allowing the real flavours of Bali to shine. Most of our ingredients are either grown in our garden, in our neighbour's garden or purchased from the local market The cooking school runs unique classes themed on "a day in the life of..." every class includes an adventure into local areas off the beaten track. Weather it is learning how to plant rice or plough with a cow, fishing in a jukung canoe and cooking on an open fire or making cocktails from cashew nut wine, our students always leave with fond memories and new skills to experiment with when they get home.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My sister Andrea and I joined the Day in the Life of a Fisherman tour by Penny at Asli. Fabulous! Penny arranged transport for us from Umalas (near Seminyak). It took 2 hrs to get to White Sand Beach but it went quick as we enjoyed the views along the way and chatted to our driver who was really informative and answered all our Bali questions. The trad outrigger boats are cool (!) and our skipper was great, really friendly and happy. After a few hours on the beautiful water (by the way I caught a fish!) we were then taken about 20mins to Bali Asli. Then the senses really were awakened. Penny explained all ingredients to us and then we cooked up a storm. All with magnificent views! I could type forever, brilliant day. If you like to cook and experience trad Bali experiences this is a must. Can't wait to go back and do the market tour.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was our first outing/activity during our recent trip to Bali - and what a start to a great trip. My husband and I took part in the "Day in the life of a Balinese lady" and both really enjoyed it. It's a great introduction to the real Bali and their daily life. We learned so much during our class with Penny, made amazing food and enjoyed the best view in Bali!

1  Thank Barbara W
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is my third trip to Bali Asli…and everything still seemed fresh and newly awesome- as if I was seeing that view and eating the food for the first time.
In a way I was.
The view, a stunning vista of mighty Mt Agung and the rice fields below, looks different in every photo I've taken, and the food is different each time.
We always opt for the megibung- sort of like a nasi campor with extras.
The welcome drink is refreshing and a long way removed from the watery cordial like welcome drinks you get in most places.
The crackers and sambal to start are perfect and theatrically presented, and work well with our Eye of the Dragon (lychee arak) cocktails.
The contents of the megibung depend on what Penny could get in the market and what's happening in the garden. I love that. I love how also she weaves local stories and personalities into the telling of the menu…I also love how once the cooking class had finished, she visits each table to introduce herself.
Back to the megibung. I won't describe each dish- aside from the fact that I'll be blogging it, the chances of you getting the same is slim- but essentially, be prepared for a delicious soup, rice, at least 3 salads, sate lilit, something steamed in a banana leaf, and a small portion of a curry. This is followed by fruit and some steamed (again in banana leaves) sweets.
We stay in Legian, so make a day of it. If coming from that side of the island, allow 2 hours, plus a little extra if you want to look around or for when your driver gets lost. The instructions on the website from Candidasa and Aman are clear. This time around I took a screenshot with me.
As an aside, all food is produced and cooked traditionally…
An absolute must do when in Bali.
Oh, there is one disappointment since my last visit- the plants outside the toilets are growing too fast and obstruct your seated view of the volcano. You'll know what I mean when you go...

2  Thank Jo T
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This my first review ever but I was so inspired afterI visited the cooking school on 3rd May. Due to a misunderstanding very possibly my fault I was not expected and Penny had gone to the market. It was not a problem for Penny who when she returned made me so very welcome. I had a one on one cooking lesson. It was a wonderful experience and I learned so much about Balinese culture and spices. I had to cook my own lunch and then enjoy it with the magnificent view of My Agung. The nasi Goreng was the best I have ever had.Penny is a very genuine and lovely person. I am now back in Australia and have already recommended the course to some friends. If you are interested in Balinese cuisine visiting Bali Asli is a must.

1  Thank Portia27
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A fantastic experience and an absolute must for any visitor to the Karangasem area. Bali Asli is an amazing place and offers great food and we had a wonderful time experiencing a day in the life of a fisherman.