“Great place for a great price”

Beten Waru Bungalows and Restaurant
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I highly recommend this place for anyone who's looking for a break from the hustle & bustle of Southern Bali (or even Ubud these days). Beten Waru has great views for a great value. The room is clean and everything is acceptably wonderful.

They don't try to outdo anyone or overdo anything. So don't expect to get wow'ed. But expect to have a pleasant, stress-free stay. Staff interaction is kept short and courteous. Amenities are nice, as nice as any place that charges twice as much or more. You think Bali is hot, Amed is hotter than average. So, AC is a must. Best of all, everything works as it should (maybe since the bungalows are new).

The rooms are limited, but if possible you should ask for room 3 or 4 for the best ocean (or: sea, whichever) view. To give you a perspective, I'm a local 20-something Balinese who has travelled extensively in the States.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisSusanto
betenwaru, Manajer at Beten Waru Bungalows and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2015

we are very pleased with your assessment, all of your assessment will give us an opportunity to become better

There are newer reviews for Beten Waru Bungalows and Restaurant

Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

Cheap, quiet, fabulous little place. Stunning views over the ocean, perfect little infinity pool in the middle of four bungalows. Only drawback - slightly iffy electrics, which meant power went off several times (though only for a few minutes each time).
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 31 July 2012

We originally only intended on staying in Amed for a few days, but we loved everything about the area so much that we stayed for 2 weeks!!! What made our time especially relaxing there was our accomodation at Beten Waru bungalows where we stayed for our entire time in Amed. The owner and all the staff were incredibly helpful and nice, our room was always clean and in perfect condition and all I can say about the property itself is WOW!!! We had an unobstructed view of the ocean and the infinity pool was so refreshing at the end of the day! The food at the restauarant was also very good with a great view of the ocean while we ate. Honestly, we spent 2 weeks there and I can't think of a single negative thing to say :) Thank you to the owner Nyoman, our friend Gede and the rest of the staff who we hope to see again someday!

Room Tip: If possible, ask for Room #3 :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Beten Waru is a beautiful and relaxing place to stay with great personal attention. There are only 6 or 7 bungalows and they have been open for less than a year so the place is still very new. The bungalows are very cozy with nice views of the ocean and they have open air showers which add a nice tropical touch.

With so few bungalows, the guests receive a lot of personal attention and the owner and his staff are extremely friendly and helpful.

The town of Amed is less than 10 minutes away and the owner of Beten Waru will rent you a moto (very inexpensively) for getting around.

I highly recommend Beten Waru if you have plans to stay in the Amed area on the island of Bali.

Incidentally, Beten Waru is located outside of the the town of Amed, NOT Karangasem. The owner would like to get Trip Advisor to change the location of the listing, but I'm not sure if he knows how to go about doing this. If anyone on the editorial staff at Trip Advisor is reading this, please help the owner and change the listed location of Beten Waru.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank pd-dp

Reviewed 26 December 2011

I spent three nights at Beten Waru in December 2011 (low season). My bungalow was fairly clean, but the bathroom was open air and therefore not all that clean, and extremely hot because of the location between two bungalows. There was only two small «reading lights» in the bungalow, and in the evenings it was impossible to see anything really. The bathroom had no light, so you had to shower in complete darkness. Not a pleasant experience... But the view was amazing, and it was quiet and peaceful – so I could have been fairly happy. Unfortunately the staff (especially the owner) was beyond annoying. I was travelling solo, and being a young girl they probably thought they could convince me to use all their “services”. Massage, transport, dining, lunch, scooter, snorkeling, diving ect. They came knocking on my door several times a day, and would not take no for an answer. I tried the restaurant the first evening, but was put off when I saw that they cooked their own dinner together with my own and the «kitchen» looked rather small and dirty. When they cleaned my room they opened the doors, and let in everything from annoying flies to terrifying lizards.

I also hired the manager as my driver on my second day, but he took complete control and told me what I had to see and do. When I tried to tell him that I had already planned the day, and just wanted him to drive me, he pretended that he did not really understand me. But in the end it worked out well, even though I spent a lot of time convincing him.

Breakfast was not much to brag about either; you could choose between pancakes, scrambled eggs, toast and jaffle. The first day I had the jaffle, and thought that it was a rather small breakfast – even for a child. So the next morning I tried to order both the toast and the pancake, but was told that this was not possible. Even when I offered to pay for the pancake on the side, they refused (pretty sure they did not understand me...). I do not recommend the coffee either – it was like cement with color.

I know that I visited during low season, and that they probably only wanted me to use their services as much as possible. BUT - it ruined my stay in Amed. I could not even sit on the balcony or eat my breakfast in peace, they would always come and "join me". Actually, I do not recommend Amed. Bali is a beautiful island, and if you want peace and quiet you should check out Lovina or Bedugul.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 November 2011

very nice neat and clean rooms. very good view from the room. food is terrible at the hotel. hotel owner is annoying. will stop you every time u go out and will offer his services.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We had such a good time here, in our private bungalow overlooking the sea. The room was super clean and nicely furnished and the staff very welcoming. We planed to stay for a few nights only and ended up staying for over 15 days! We rented a scooter directly from the hotel and drove around every day to explore the beautiful coast, to go snorkeling and diving. We were looking for a quite place during the high season in Bali... and we found it!! We will definitely come back..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Beten Waru Bungalow

Also consider these accommodations in or near Karangasem
Santai Hotel Bali
#4 of 19 in Amed
Wawa Wewe II Villas
Wawa Wewe II Villas
#45 of 82 in Karangasem

Been to Beten Waru Bungalows and Restaurant? Share your experiences!