“Nice value, nice rooms, great staff”

Beten Waru Bungalows and Restaurant
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed here for 12 nights in December 2013. I stayed in three different rooms during my stay and all were quite nice. I moved because on the first night I was actually next door at Acarya Bungalows and had an obstructed view (but best room of the three!). Second night I was in bungalow #1 which is pool level and has a nice view from the shower and the side of the patio, but Bungalow #3 became available from my third night and it has the best view so I moved there for the duration of my stay.

Rooms had comfortable beds, good hot water (once mine was fixed - I was without for two days), good air-conditioning, ceiling fan, mosquito nets and a bit of storage for clothes. No table or good place for laptops, cameras or chargers so I used the twin bed (note; there was a great table in my room at Acarya on the first night). My suitcases fit under the beds so it was nice to be able to get them out of the way. Only outlets in the room were where the bedside lamps were, so I had to unplug one for the duration. Patio had a small table and two chairs plus a good sized-drying rack. Very nice for relaxing and watching the boats. I would have loved to have a lie-low on my patio.

Restaurant is ok. Breakfast was very basic with eggs or banana pancake. Eggs were always cooked perfecty so that was very nice. No fruit. Some days I got toast with my eggs, some days I didn't receive any. Banana juice was wonderful. Also had dinner there a couple of nights when I was feeling very lazy and the pork satay was excellent one night and good another night, so seems a pretty safe bet. Note they add 10% onto everything, including drinks you take to your room - had I realised, I would have bought my Bintangs from the small shop attached.

The staff, especially Ilu and the two guys, are excellent! Very friendly, helpful and try hard to do whatever you ask of them. Ilu's English is very good. They helped take care of me while I was sick, ran a couple of errands for me and scootered me from A to B a few times. Loved them and they make the whole stay wonderful.

I've added a few pictures. While you don't get a direct sunrise or sunset view as you face north, it's still very pretty throughout the day. There are views from the pool area, the restaurant and the bungalows.

The steps are steep but not unmanageable and the view & quiet are worth it. You can really notice the climb when you're carrying a bunch or stuff or when you are sick, but the staff are ready to help if you need assistance.

The price per night (250000) was reasonable for a large, comfortable air-conditioned room and I from the research I did before traveling it seemed good value for Amed. All the dive shops I spoke to said that pickup/dropoff was included from/to this hotel, so that shouldn't be a worry.

Nyoman also provided transport from/to the airport (450000 each way) and was waiting on the rail as I came out of the arrivals area so it was very easy.

I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Bungalow #3 has the best view followed by 4, 2 & 1, imo.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank KJANingaloo
betenwaru, Manajer at Beten Waru Bungalows and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2015

we are very pleased with your assessment, all of your assessment will give us an opportunity to become better

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed 11 nights in total at Beten Waru. The rooms are very big, with one double bed and one single bed so good for 3 pax or two adults and a young child. I loved the open ceiling "mandi" (bathroom) meaning you can have a shower under the full Moon or the stars! Hot and cold water. Good swimming pool with great ocean view too. The hotel only has 4 bungalows/rooms so it's consistently quiet and tranquil. Nice relaxed laid back atmosphere. I've seen solo travellers, families with kids, couples and group of friends stay there. The owner, Nyoman, will do his best to satisfy your needs such as offer transport services to and from anywhere in Bali. His Staff is very friendly and helpful, yet they are very limited in their knowledge of English so be gentle with them and make sure you express yourself slowly and in simple words! The choice of breakfast is good. Good food in general, also for lunch or dinner. I also very very safe there! Motorbike and snorkel gear for rent there too. The beach is right in front of you, down the hill and it's in walking distance to a very good diving centre (Bali Reef Divers, 100m to your right) and several nice restaurants and small shops. It's not the busiest part of Amed but that's why I loved it : nice and quiet yet easy to access all that you need. And with a motorbike, you're anywhere around Amed in anything from 2 to 20 minutes! Very good value for your money! I recommend this place with no hesitation!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bullesdebleu

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed here for a night, the room and the shower room are spacious for the value (they have AC, ceiling fan, hot water, mosquito net on the bed, small vanity table and could use a luggage rack). It is considered clean although they could've offered to sweep the floor when we check-in since the location is by the road. The breakfast menu is minimalist and could use improvement. The infinity pool is maintained and clean. I recommend this place if you're travelling to Amed for few days.

Room Tip: All five rooms have sea view and private balcony
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed here for two nights booking through Agoda. The staff/manager were really friendly and helpful. They even gave me lifts on an evening to eat out as I can't ride a motorbike! I bought a really reasonably priced fastboat ticket here to Gili Trawangan.

Very relaxing surroundings ideal for couples. You really need to hire a motorbike to make the most out of the surroundings though.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 9 October 2012

I highly recommend this place for anyone who's looking for a break from the hustle & bustle of Southern Bali (or even Ubud these days). Beten Waru has great views for a great value. The room is clean and everything is acceptably wonderful.

They don't try to outdo anyone or overdo anything. So don't expect to get wow'ed. But expect to have a pleasant, stress-free stay. Staff interaction is kept short and courteous. Amenities are nice, as nice as any place that charges twice as much or more. You think Bali is hot, Amed is hotter than average. So, AC is a must. Best of all, everything works as it should (maybe since the bungalows are new).

The rooms are limited, but if possible you should ask for room 3 or 4 for the best ocean (or: sea, whichever) view. To give you a perspective, I'm a local 20-something Balinese who has travelled extensively in the States.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisSusanto

Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

Cheap, quiet, fabulous little place. Stunning views over the ocean, perfect little infinity pool in the middle of four bungalows. Only drawback - slightly iffy electrics, which meant power went off several times (though only for a few minutes each time).
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 31 July 2012

We originally only intended on staying in Amed for a few days, but we loved everything about the area so much that we stayed for 2 weeks!!! What made our time especially relaxing there was our accomodation at Beten Waru bungalows where we stayed for our entire time in Amed. The owner and all the staff were incredibly helpful and nice, our room was always clean and in perfect condition and all I can say about the property itself is WOW!!! We had an unobstructed view of the ocean and the infinity pool was so refreshing at the end of the day! The food at the restauarant was also very good with a great view of the ocean while we ate. Honestly, we spent 2 weeks there and I can't think of a single negative thing to say :) Thank you to the owner Nyoman, our friend Gede and the rest of the staff who we hope to see again someday!

Room Tip: If possible, ask for Room #3 :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple