“Clean, well-run, great value, and local flavor”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Warung Makan De 5

Warung Makan De 5
Ranked #37 of 119 Restaurants in Karangasem
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Small local Warung
Taiwan
“Clean, well-run, great value, and local flavor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

De 5 was recommended by the driver who picked me up at the airport as "a place locals go, but more foreigners are finding out about it", and also by many on the Candidasa forum here on Tripadvisor, and it was very close to where I was staying, so I decided to go.

Simple place, but sparkling clean floor tiles. Pictures of dishes on the walls with Indonesian and English, as well as an English-only menu. A bit warm on the inside (at first I thought it was the chili but the second time I was sure it was just hot, because my dish was not spicy), basic but comfortable, with a TV (usually on), and friendly and efficient people running the warung.

Since I was trying to have what is uniquely Balinese, saw a dish called fried chicken with lalapan chili sauce, which is described as "Balinese chili sauce" - I asked how spicy it was, and was able to sample it before deciding whether to order it. The chili sauce was bit spicier than what I'd normally have, but I figured with the food it should be ok.

I was the only one there since it was just around 5 pm. Soon I heard the fryer going - the on-going rapid crackling sound told me it was going to be one crispy chicken leg that was to be my dinner. It's not every day you hear your food being prepared (or know that what is being prepared is your food). So the wait was quite ok.

And when the chicken came, it was piping hot (I know because it looked like I was supposed to eat with my hands, but it was way too hot), crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, served with a small dish of lalapan chili sauce and small triangular wedges of cabbage and a couple of slices of cucumber, plus a stem of light green colored basil.

I ordered rice on the side (when they asked if I wanted rice).

I was a bit confused at how to begin eating, and eventually I tore the chicken into small pieces and ate like this: a wedge of cabbage, topped with lalapan, which I use as "glue" for the basil and chicken.

The lalapan didn't really stand out TOO much in terms of uniqueness in flavor, but worked well to add richness to the dish. But that basil was a pleasant surprise! It was not the basil I knew but the lemon basil, which gave the whole combination an added layer of flavor.

The chicken wasn't noticeably seasoned. But the texture was wonderful, so each item on the plate provided a different "function", be it texture, flavor, heat... the combination worked out well. I actually ended up polishing off all the lalapan chili sauce before finishing all the chicken and rice, a bit surprising even for me since I don't usually eat spicy food.

And I had no problem whatsoever with my stomach afterwards (from the food or the chili).

Went back to De 5 one other time to try the recommended chicken mushroom (ordered rice to soak up the extra sauce). This dish is less exciting to describe, but it doesn't mean it's less tasty. It had a very hearty homey comfort food taste, which I could see people coming to get it for take out (lots of locals stop by on their mopeds to get take outs here) after a long, hot day of work. It was not "exciting" but so comforting I polished off the whole plate effortlessly even though I was not particularly hungry.

While I was there, another table of 3 ordered an impressive looking round dish with a reddish sauce on top. I asked and was told by the staff it was the omelette. Would have liked to try it but being a solo traveler that is just too big of dish of "one thing" for me. Maybe next time. :)

While this would not be a romantic honeymoon special occasion place to eat, it is certainly run well clean, efficient, English-speaker friendly), and a good place to experience what the locals eat - with great price to boot!

• Visited May 2014