“good but not as great as it has been - tired and needs work”
Review of Grand Avenue Bali

Grand Avenue Bali
Reviewed 22 October 2013

OK, time for honesty.

We have stayed at Grand Avenue more than six times over a three year period. The staff are great, the location is good (being close to Seminyak, and yet far enough away to get some peace and quiet) and it has so many positves. We have stayed in both the one bedroom pool villa's and the two bedroom pool villas. Both spacious with lovely open plan sitting rooms and great bathrooms. The beds are comfortable and the breakfasts (cooked in the Villa) are good. HOWEVER - Over the years the Villa's have aged an are in need of better up-keep. The rooms need re-painting and the wood work is chipped and peeling and needs treating. The bed linen is worn and needs replacing the towels are threadbare and faded by the sun, these need replacing too. The televisions must be more than 10 years old, as are the in room stereos/DVD players - all these need to be replaced. Recent years have seen the addition of a communal swimming pool at the bottom of the drive - however in all honesty while this benefits the smaller rooms that dont have pools, the money would have been better spent in updating and refreshing the main accomodation. Currently a few new rooms are being added at the front, and more expansion is planned to the left of the front side of the entrance, which will all be good and well if they dont let the rest of the standards slip. Having become quite attached to the place over the years and having had many wonderful stays there - this last time we questioned whether we would return. Time will tell. Its a competitive market in the Kerobokan/Canggu are and there are many options. For the sake of the lovely staff at Grand Avenue i really hope the management "get it together" and recognise that they cant let their standards slip. They are investing in new a new pool and new rooms, however perhaps at the expenses of better upkeep?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom villa with private pool for ten nights. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The villa was spacious and clean. It is a bit out of town but this is good because it is so peaceful and quiet. You are out among the paddy fields so you really get a look at authentic Bali. Perfect spot for relaxing. There is a shuttle bus into town every 2 hours so that is perfect. A taxi back only costs about €3. There are a few restaurants in the area but to be honest, we ate from the inhouse menu mostly. The food was always lovely. You can only get beer if looking for a drink though. Breakfast can be cooked in your villa, if you like. I have read one bad review here and to be honest, I just think they are being extremely picky. We had a great time here and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing break. Perfect for honeymooners.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Ahh- the beautiful grand avenue!! We Arrived late at night- and after being greated by very welcoming staff was taken to our very own 1 bedroom private villa which was a massive upgrade with out asking as my bf had only Booked a standard delex room at $70 aud per night so fair to say we walked in and were wowed by our private villa bliss! It was truly amazing- unlike anywhere I've ever stayed.. Every bit of the villa Was absolutely beautiful super clean so comfy and we loved every second of our stay! The quiet  surroundings that is kerobokan was almost surreal.. The first morning we woke up and went for a walk- were gone exploring for a good half hour and not once were we asked by the locals to buy anything-this was my 5th trip to Bali and was very unlike any Bali experience I'd ever experienced- the serenity was through the roof and I don't believe I've ever been so relaxed in my life! The breakfast served in the villa was fine- however most mornings we opted for some fruits and juices then went out for breaky and amazing coffee just up the road at bombah cafe- eggs bene and flat whites to die for! As good if not better than the cafes back home.. Day one we went on a mission to find us a day spa and found a little place called niki spa- bright green building on the corner and although the spa was basic and quite small the massages were amazing and only $8 aud for hour full body massages. Niki and the girls were so welcoming and some of the best massages I've ever had- niki spa became a place visited min once a day until we found out that the girls would come to our beautiful villa for massages for only $12 aud! And wow.. Did I live this up- one first thing in the morning then one at night before bed! Haha.. We were certainly living the dream- perfection!! The 2nd day I wasn't well and the staff at grand ave did everything they could to make me feel comfortable and in the days after asking how I was feeling! That night my amazing bf organized for a surprise 4 course candle light dinner to be organized in our villa and the team at grand ave came in and set up the candlelight bliss in our outdoor room without me knowing a thing while I was in the bedroom watching a DVD.. Omg what a surprise  was out of this world beautiful!! Rose petals throughout the awesome pool and candles everywhere set the most beautiful and romantic setting ever!

We left grand avenue yesterday and are staying in seminyak in another villa at santas suites almost 3 times the price old and not well maintained at all and really not that clean and I've gotta say I have massive grand avenue envy right now! Would seriously give anything to go back there right now and I know exactly where I will be staying for my annual Bali trips from here on in!

Plenty of restaurants close by and grand ave will happily shuttle you into seminyak whenever you want- we hired a bike which made life way too easy getting around locally and beyond. Very quiet roads up there so no danger on the roads at all!

Thankyou to grand avenue for making our stay truly amazing and unforgettable!! Here I was thinking the seminyak villa was going to be the highlight.. I was so wrong- grand avenue certainly takes the cake and I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 9 October 2013

i just stayed in grand avenue villa for 2 days, about a week ago.
prob the best villa i've ever stayed in bali
the room is spacious, with a kitchen area as well,
pool is always clean, the best part is it's always quiet, awesome place to relax
service was superb, all the staffs were amazing, so helpful, always with smile
breakfast was above average, (not the buffet, u get to choose between some menus)
also they drive you to semiyak area every 2 hour,
it is definitely bit of distance from kuta or legian,
i paid about 4-5$ from semiyak, not too bad,

was so sad to leave, i wish i stayed grand avenue throughout all my trip in bali
i would definitely recommend to my friends and family, and of course i would stay here for my next bali trip!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I looked at all the positive reviews of Grand Avenue and am completely baffled by them. Either my expectations are too high or the expectations of those staying here were too low. We stayed in villa number 8 – a two bedroom villa.

We arrived to find our airport transfer was not there to pick us up and despite many calls to Grand Avenue, it never arrived. After waiting close to an hour we got our own taxis.

The bare reception at Grand Avenue gave the impression of a spartan resort and certainly spartan it was. Walking down the path towards our villa at the end, I couldn’t help but wonder what was in store for us given the first two impressions that we had formed were already bad.

Within the first 5 minutes inside our villa compound, the villa seemed ok. It was spacious and looked like it would have what we needed but unfortunately not. Here we go;

THE TOWELS. I would highly recommend anyone staying here to bring your own towel. I had to resort to using a tshirt as a towel as the towels here are DISGUSTING. I’ve stayed at many low end hostels as well as high end resorts and these are the worst towels I have ever seen. They are gruesomely grey with dark and brown stains all over them. One first glance at the towel and it’s glaringly obvious that it is not white – even in a dimly lit bathroom. Even the purple bathroom mats were old with stains all over them. At 9am on the first morning I took the offending towels to show reception and request clean ones. Upon our return 13 hours later they had not bothered to replace the towels. Numerous phone calls took place where they said they would send someone immediately to our villa but that person never came until rudely prompted to and even then they looked like they understood that we wanted towels but they never came back at all until we called reception. An hour later after this whole debacle started, we were eventually told they could not provide towels as they did not have any so late at night. Surely they would have known that as soon as we had returned that evening instead of making us chase them constantly and making us angry? After pressing them many times, lo and behold – they magically produced 3 towels after insisting they had none. They basically could not be bothered to bring us towels until we started to get angry. Shame that all 3 towels were grey and badly stained and I returned all of them. I did point out the stains to the member of staff who brought them but he clearly did not understand why I thought the towels were dirty. I really do think that the staff at Grand Avenue think the towels there are acceptable and could not understand why I wanted other towels.

THE BEDSHEETS – also disgustingly grey and the duvet cover was actually stained and badly RIPPED. My pillow was half the size of the other pillow on the double bed. One of the pillow cases in the other bedroom had a black stain on it but they duly replaced it when asked but it was very disappointing that housekeeping did not take any initiative to change the pillow case when they cleaned our rooms – the stain is very obvious but they chose to ignore it and let us continue using the dirty pillowcase. All of these rips and stains are very obvious but staff there clearly could not be bothered with providing hygienic linen and continued to use that dirty linen. How can an establishment with any pride whatsoever continue to use such disgusting towels and linen?

THE AMENITIES – despite having our own pool there were no sun loungers so you could not lie in the sun and relax. The pool was dirty and 2 poor looking floats were left by the side as if discarded by previous guests and never bothered to be removed by staff at the hotel. We did not dare use the pool – if housekeeping was this bad, there was no way we were stepping into that pool. The master bedroom was lacking furniture, it needed some chairs or something inside the room to put stuff on so that you are not putting everything on the floor. There were 2 chairs and a small table outside the master room but these were very dirty and not cleaned by housekeeping and not something you would want to touch. The wardrobe was in the bathroom and came with only 3 sorry looking wire hangers. The master room lacks a safe and the one in the second bedroom was not even properly attached to anything and as such, you could just pick it up and walk away with it if you wanted to. Only handwash and a bar of soap was provided in the bathroom and no facecloths.

THE FOOD – breakfast was abysmal with the omelette being the best out of a bad bunch. The tea and coffee is just made from the tea and coffee that is already in the kitchen cupboard and you only get ONE small cup.

THE STAFF– all the staff are very friendly and smiley but behind the smiles, they really don’t understand much of what you are saying. I cannot emphasise how frustrating it is when the staff simply smile and agree to your every request without actually understanding the English spoken. Putu, whilst very helpful and kind – runs around akin to Manuel in Fawlty Towers. I think he would be better off in a better establishment and with the right traininG could go much further than working at Grand Avenue. We returned one evening and notified whoever was working at reception that we needed a taxi at 7.30am. We all saw him write this down on a piece of paper but for some god forsaken reason, he called at 5.30am to ask what time we needed the taxi! Common sense would tell you not to call guests at 5.30am! Another night we arrived home late to find the receptionist and someone else sleeping on the sofa.

I looked for the manager at 9am on the second morning but was told he would not be at work till 11am. We did not want to hang around in the villa so left early each day and returned late. Given how the staff were, I’m not entirely sure talking to the manager would have achieved anything – certainly not nice, clean towels and I also doubt they would have understood what our problems were anyway. If the manager is fine with the resort being so dirty, I doubt he would have done anything to address our complaints.

Our return journey home was delayed by a few days but we decided to get the hell out of Grand Avenue and eventually ended up at 3 bedroom villa at Icon Villas in Seminyak that was just absolutely wonderful in comparison and for the same price!

The infrastructure is there at Grand Avenue but the execution is not. I almost feel as if it used to be a well run resort but someone bought it over who was not experienced in running a resort and also did not have the financing to maintain the upkeep of the resort hence why some of the furniture that you see on their website is actually not there (the red chairs and even the chairs and tables at reception are no longer there) and why standards are so low.

Please shop around before deciding to stay at this place. There are so many better places on offer.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bundleorbindle
Reviewed 12 September 2013

2nd time in Bali, fantastic accomodation, we stayed in a 1 bedroom pool Villa, truly lovely, had everything you needed including safe drinking water ( bottled) laid on, anything not in Villa just ask! Breaky can be booked to be cooked in your room, they come & cook in front of you, serve & clean up- felt very spoilt, however we found that you need to stick to the egg dishes only. They have a shuttle than leaves every 2 hours, just ask to be on it & they'll drop you where you want to go, will need to catch a taxi back but even from Kuta is around $7 Aussie. the Villa's are away from the noise,hustle & bustle but not too far away to get into Kuta,Legian etc. The pool is fantastic & being in the lounge room is totally unique. Bathroom is amazing, bedroom is roomy & also lovely. The staff are lovely, made us feel really welcome, We were in Villa 3. There are a few cafe's/resturant/take away places within walking distance, we also tried these, great value for money. They come each night to turn on lights & get bed ready- aircon in bedroom. Note has large fridge so head into Carrefour ( not sure if spelt right!) amazing shopping centre- cheap and you can buy amazing meals, groceries, clothes makeup etc- well worth a look!
OVERALL this place is fantastic put it on your list of must stays.!!!!! Thanks to all the staff!!!

Room Tip: loved the private pool villa- private, roomy & wonderful & little road noise especially once...