“The best in Bali”
Review of Villa Layang Bulan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kerobokan
Villa Layang Bulan
Melbourne, Australia
“The best in Bali”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This was my third time staying in Villa Layang Bulan this time for 7 nights and as per usual the say was excellent. Edwin and his staff are so obliging, to be collected from the airport by Made waving at me and calling my name when I walked through the arrival gate really made my stay special.

I have stayed in both the Kuta and Canggu room and both are great. The bonus with the Kuta room is the easy access to the pool and lounge area where guests mingle. I have heard many mixed stories about other villas in Bali that cater for the gay traveller but every time the most friendly by far is Layang Bulan. Sitting at the pool by day or lounging on the couch by night with the other guests having a chat is the highlight of this villa, I have met so many special people here that I keep going back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank BrentH20

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I read all reviews of this hotel and made my mind up to book this place. To be honest, it wasn't worth trying it out. I normally don't mind how small the room is because I just need a place to sleep. However, the room I got (private room) was not only small, but old, musty, sheets and pillow case had some stain on them, and the bathroom was just....

As other review says the place is located quite remote from shops. If you like to be away form the hustle and bustle of the city, then it maybe for you but it wasn't for me. It is too far away from everything. The villa website mentions that it's only 30 minutes walk by the beach from the bars, but it took me about an hour. I'm not a slow walker by the way.

Sure the owner, his staff, and other guests are very friendly. You can easily find somebody to talk to. I guess that's the only advantage of this place. Other than that, you can't expect too much.

All in all, the place is something you get what you paid for. You may find other places are better in value for the price you pay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Extreme22
Balinyoman, Owner at Villa Layang Bulan, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
We are located in a quiet residential area dotted with foreign-owned villas and guest houses. 5 minutes walk round the corner is the main street, Jalan Batu Belig . This a fast upcoming area with many good and inexpensive restaurants such as Naughty Nuri BBQ,Warung Sobet, Star Apple, Bow, Slippery Stone, Watercress and Cucina Rustica, 3 ATM machines, 2 money changers, 2 24-hour clinic,boutiques, 5 24-hour mini marts, travel agents and numerous hotels.

Further down the road are Methis, Sardine, Dengan and the new posh Argentine Grill.
The other hub near us – but smaller than Jalan Batu Belig is Canggu Plaza. It has a supermarket, Brazilian Churasscaria, Japanese restaurant, Italian Restaurant and Cafeteria. This is about 12 mins walk from us.

Batu Belig Beach and Grand Balisani Suite Resort are just 5 mins walk from us. Warung Pantai, Warung Cantina (the gathering place for gay men in the afternoon), Mosaic, W-Hotel and Potato Head are merely another 2 to 5 mins walk after reaching the beach.

We usually provide free transfer to the gay bars area during the night. It cost only about US$3 to come back to our villa by taxi past midnight . Some of our younger guests prefer to walk back by the beach. This would take only about 30 to 35 mins. This timing has been achieved and tested by many of our guests. Nobody has ever come back to say that it took him more than an hour walk from the bars. By walking fast for more than an hour, one would surely reach Beach Walk Mall and Discovery Mall in Kuta.

We have larger (superior) and smaller (standard) rooms. One has a choice when you booked.
Our bed linen are of good quality and newly supplied by Indo Linen – one ofthe top linen importers in Bali. If a staff had made an error by providing linen with permanent stains caused by massage oil, it does not mean all of our linen are stained. As ownee I would not like this to happen. But like all human being, our staff are not 100% pefect. They make errors. For sure, our staff are wonderful persons.

Villa Layang Bulan is a lovely and well maintained gay guest house. 50% of our guests are repeat guests – largely from Germany, Holland, France, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Philippines.
UK
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Edwin and his team make this place. Small villa with pool, gardens and clean rooms with attentive service. Although billed as clothing optional, there is no compulsion. Breakfast is great. Edwin organised for us to rent a car for 5 days (much against the advice of the Aussie guests in the villa!) We had a ball, visiting Northern Bali staying in Permuteran and diving on the Island of Menjangan which for intermediate/experienced divers (some quite impressive currents to cope with) is amazing! Driving is easy (compared to London!) navigation is challenging. Edwin also organised a day trip to Ubud, penelocan and loads of temples, coffee plantation... he paired us up with a German guest... we had one of the most memorable days of my trips to SE Asia. The gay bars are a MUST in Seminyak... beats the pants of London/Brighton for me... Balijoes rocks especially after midnight! Lovely Balinese people are a joy to get to know and love chatting. Thanks Edwin and team for an amazing hol. Daniel&Miles

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DandMtravel
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

When I booked my stay at Villa Layang Bulan, I would never dream of choosing such a good place. And I am, efter almost four weeks living there, so happy being able to give all my best recommendations to anyone who is searching for a good gayhotel. Edwin and his staff are all doing their very best to make you comfortable. For example, they organize various tours all over Bali, all in your taste. You can order almost any kind of food from their kitchen, and it is weelcooked, from the heart. During my stay at Villa Layang Bulan, I met so many nice guys from all over the world, and we had many happy days together. Every night, the staff offered us guests free transport to the gaybars, and I joined it always. Good fun! Never hesitate to choose Villa Layang Bulan, if you want to stay in good hands for a nice, relaxing holiday in Bali. // Jörgen Alm from Sweden.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Reslysten541
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights after 2 nights at a hotel in Kuta. Kuta was not my scene as it was like any other busy downtown. This is my second stay at Layang Bulan and Edwin and staff really made me feel at home. Just a 10 minutes walk to the beach and to good restaurants nearby. But Edwin can whip up a great meal for you if you feel like eating in. Breakfast is inclusive and you have a good choice that caters to both western and Asian taste. Whether you are sociable or shy, Edwin will help break the ice for you and you will enjoy sharing experiences with fellow travellers. The rates are reasonable for a big tourist island like Bali and I highly recommend like-minded travellers to Layang Bulan. What I like about the villa is the pool which has sun in the morning and cool in the evening. Surprisingly mosquitoes are not a problem!

Room Tip: The loft is only recommended for the young and agile because the stairs maybe difficult for those wh...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at this guesthouse recently with my partner for a period of about 9 days. Edwin and his staff are very welcoming, and our collection from a previous hotel was organised and complimentary. A full introduction to the villa, local area etc given upon arrival. We stayed in the Kuta room, sold as the top room. Compared to some hotels the room was basic, but given this is a guesthouse it was perfectly acceptable, clean, private facilities, mini-bar etc. I will add that the price is very reasonable. The Kuta room has a terrace and is adjacent to the pool. It is worth noting that all facilities are shared between the guests, so it did happen that people sat on the terrace directly outside the bedroom door early in the morning! The Kuta room is on the ground floor and is subject to some general noise from the kitchen and office early in the morning.
With such a small number of guests it is a nice friendly atmosphere and everybody seems to get on well and as a gay guesthouse I'd definitely be happy staying again. A free shuttle to the gay bars and clubs was offered, although these are only a short taxi ride anyway. The beach is a short walk away and although dark sand, very rough seas and filthy there are some lovely bars and restaurants. Pool was a good size and wonderfully warm and clean, a few loungers nearby. Nudity optional, and a very relaxed atmosphere throughout.
I would only have a few points, one is breakfast, although fine and a few options available after a week or so it is a little repetitive. Secondly is the size of the villa, from the pictures and description I was under the impression the grounds would be a little more spacious, at times it did seem like people were a little on top of each other. However given that people were often out during the day, this only occurred occasionally. Although we went as a pair, almost all guests were singles.
I would definitely suggest taking a torch if your venturing out after dark. The nearby streets are very dark and with open drains and only partial pavements, disaster could be just a step away!
Finally Mosquitos, although told upon arrival that there are few Mosquitos, it's not entirely true, so take some insect repellent! (Not unique to this guesthouse, so not a criticism of Layang Bulan)

Room Tip: Each room seems to have its different merits. Kuta room has a very nice location with the terrace ad...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ross A
Balinyoman, Owner at Villa Layang Bulan, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
We are pleased to hear that Ross and his partner enjoyed their stay with us.
We would also like to thank Ross for having given us good rating.
We would like to make the following points which are important to our image.
(i) Breakfast
Our breakfast menu is a la carte. It is one of the best among the guest houses or even hotels all over the world. We offer Western and Asian set breakfasts. We are also very generous with our portioning.
Each set has 4 courses, inclusive of various choices of juices (eg Blueberry, Guava, Orange, Apple, Sour Sop), at least 2 choices of fresh fruits in season (which vary daily) and ending with French Toasts, Toasts or Pancakes.
The western main courses range from 3-egg Omelet of different fillings (eg Spanish Sofrito, Ham, Bacon, Cheese, Tomato or Mushroom) to Bacon, Ham or Sausage with Eggs (any style), Baked Beans, Mushroom or Fried Tomato.
The Asian main courses are either Fried Rice, Fried Noodle or Noodle Soup daily. But we offer Nasi Lemak (Coconut Rice), Fried Meehoon or Mee, Phad Thai, Roti Pratha or Roti Canai too when we have many Malaysian and Singaporean guests.
(ii) Top Room by the Pool and its verandah
This is a fairly large double room with its own private bathroom and verandah. Like all of our private rooms, it has air conditioner, high speed wi fi, cable tv, fridge with mini bar, safe box, cabinet for clothings, side tables with drawers with reading lamps and safe box for valubles. There is a round table large enough for 4 to 5 persons at its verandah for dining, writing and relaxing.
Our furniture and linen are of good quality and comfortable. But of course, they are not luxurious because we are charging very reasonble rates.
The verandah adjacent to this room is exclusively for guests of this room. Lately, we have put up a notice to stop guests of other rooms to relax here unless they are invited.
(iii) Lane linking to the main road
Our villa is linked to the main road Jalan Batu Belig and gay beach by a beautifully surfaced lane which is dotted with private villas, small hotels and guest houses. This is a safe area.
Like most areas in Bali, several segments of the drains along the lane and the main road are uncovered. Hence, one need to be careful when he or she walks around any urban area in Bali.
Many private villas, guest houses and small hotels leave their front lights on throughout the night. It is not totally dark to walk along the lane between our villa and the main road. I (the owner) and most of our guests have never walked around with a torchlight.
(iv) Noise from office and kitchen
We have told our staff to be more mindful with their noise level when they are in the office and kitchen especially during early hours and late nights.
(v) Mosquitos
We do not have mosquitos during the day.
During the night, keep the room window and door shut and one would be able to sleep soundly without anti-mosquito coil or net. Everyroom is provided with anti-mosquito electrical device for keeping mosquito away effectively during the night. For the outdoor area, apply mosquito repellent cream on your skin, if you are susceptible to mosquito bites. Not everyone of us are prone to mosquitos.
Bali has large areas of rice fields. We are close to rice fields. When the rice fields are wet, we will get mosquitos after 6pm. We do not have these problem at night when the rice fields are dry.
I am the owner of Villa Layang Bulan, Bali. I am an envid tarveller. I travel 4 to 5 months annually. I get much more mosquitos in places where I had stayed in French Polynesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, Panama, Belize, Honduras, Grenada and Candian Rockies. I am currently planning for Norway. A Nordic friend advised me to avoid certain months because there are plenty of mosquitos at the fjords.
Perth, WA
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Well I took a friend for his first trip to Bali and we both had a great time staying in the Villa.
Lots of guests from different countries and made some new friends. Always good to relax by the pool, clothing optional and staff are very helpful.

This is my third stay and I will book again. If you are travelling solo, just book - there is always a new friend to meet at the villa. Good location, close to lots of great places to eat and the beach to wander on. Highly recommended

Room Tip: I had an upstairs room, own ensuite
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank WA__Stuart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerobokan
Sunclad Villa
#106 of 208 in Kuta
Astana Batubelig Villas
Astana Batubelig Villas
#128 of 421 in Seminyak

Been to Villa Layang Bulan? Share your experiences!