“Was only a visit to enjoy the facilities, but will definitely make a comeback for a holiday”
Review of Villa Layang Bulan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kerobokan
Villa Layang Bulan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I was in bali for a layover and was browsing the google for clothes optional villa. Went there, and immediately felt like at home. Edwin and his assistant Made were the most welcoming people, taking me in like a family member. The villa is very quaint, cosy and I stripped nude immediately hihi. The rest of the guests are so friendly, especially this cute red head brit hihi. Initially I was abit sceptical about the place. Seeing the guests just leave their phones and gadgets everywhere, I know that it is one safe place. A MUST GO PLACE IN BALI FOR MEN WEARING THEIR BIRTH SUITS haha

• Stayed February 2014

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I am heading back to Bali for the 7th time in 4 years in May and am so looking forward to staying at the Villa Layang Bulan again.
It is a beautiful Villa with a great location, being only a very short walk to the many Warungs and restaurants nearby and a 5 minute walk to the beach.
I have stayed in most of the rooms and they are all very comfortable and cleaned daily.
The Villa has a wonderful 'family' atmosphere and all sorts of delightful guests stay here, many on repeat visits. All ages and nationalities, which makes for very interesting fun and conversation around the lovely pool or dinner table.
We often go into the gay bars in Seminyak as a group and Edwin very kindly puts on a free van to get there and returning is very cheap in a local taxi.
Another plus is the fact that the Villa is in a very tasteful residential area, away from the 'hustle and bustle' of the main tourist areas.
But the really appealing factor are the people.! Edwin and his staff are just fantastic and can't do enough to ensure that all guests are happy and made to feel very welcome. Edwin also organises day trips around Bali which are really worth doing.
And what a chef he is.!!..I have had many meals at the Villa, from local cuisine to European dining and every meal has been a delight.
So, with a great location, excellent rooms and cleanliness, very reasonable room rates, fun fellow guest and the best and friendliest staff, why would I stay anywhere else?
I love returning to the Villa Layang Bulan.
Cheers,
David, Auckland.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank david m
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 January 2014

A first time solo Bali visitor looking for new experience without disappointment. Thanks to Edwin and his staff, the atmosphere is unique here that could not be found elsewhere. The staff are extremely helpful. It is the service making this place different from the rest. It is easy to make new friends, especailly most of us are soloist. We go out to have a walk, watch sunset at the beach, dance in bars, share info about massagers ... Not close to the downtown area, but 5 min walk to the beach clubs like Potato Head. 300k taxi ride to the bars, even at three in the morning. The penthouse room satisfied my need for a place to sleep, cool, clean and quiet enough. The home made lunch tasted great. The pool is a lovely and private place to enjoy the sunshine, with light breeze. Will come back again.

Room Tip: Penthouse room in the first floor but the bathroom/toilet is on ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This was my third time staying in Villa Layang Bulan this time for 7 nights and as per usual the say was excellent. Edwin and his staff are so obliging, to be collected from the airport by Made waving at me and calling my name when I walked through the arrival gate really made my stay special.

I have stayed in both the Kuta and Canggu room and both are great. The bonus with the Kuta room is the easy access to the pool and lounge area where guests mingle. I have heard many mixed stories about other villas in Bali that cater for the gay traveller but every time the most friendly by far is Layang Bulan. Sitting at the pool by day or lounging on the couch by night with the other guests having a chat is the highlight of this villa, I have met so many special people here that I keep going back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank BrentH20
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I read all reviews of this hotel and made my mind up to book this place. To be honest, it wasn't worth trying it out. I normally don't mind how small the room is because I just need a place to sleep. However, the room I got (private room) was not only small, but old, musty, sheets and pillow case had some stain on them, and the bathroom was just....

As other review says the place is located quite remote from shops. If you like to be away form the hustle and bustle of the city, then it maybe for you but it wasn't for me. It is too far away from everything. The villa website mentions that it's only 30 minutes walk by the beach from the bars, but it took me about an hour. I'm not a slow walker by the way.

Sure the owner, his staff, and other guests are very friendly. You can easily find somebody to talk to. I guess that's the only advantage of this place. Other than that, you can't expect too much.

All in all, the place is something you get what you paid for. You may find other places are better in value for the price you pay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Extreme22
Balinyoman, Owner at Villa Layang Bulan, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
We are located in a quiet residential area dotted with foreign-owned villas and guest houses. 5 minutes walk round the corner is the main street, Jalan Batu Belig . This a fast upcoming area with many good and inexpensive restaurants such as Naughty Nuri BBQ,Warung Sobet, Star Apple, Bow, Slippery Stone, Watercress and Cucina Rustica, 3 ATM machines, 2 money changers, 2 24-hour clinic,boutiques, 5 24-hour mini marts, travel agents and numerous hotels.

Further down the road are Methis, Sardine, Dengan and the new posh Argentine Grill.
The other hub near us – but smaller than Jalan Batu Belig is Canggu Plaza. It has a supermarket, Brazilian Churasscaria, Japanese restaurant, Italian Restaurant and Cafeteria. This is about 12 mins walk from us.

Batu Belig Beach and Grand Balisani Suite Resort are just 5 mins walk from us. Warung Pantai, Warung Cantina (the gathering place for gay men in the afternoon), Mosaic, W-Hotel and Potato Head are merely another 2 to 5 mins walk after reaching the beach.

We usually provide free transfer to the gay bars area during the night. It cost only about US$3 to come back to our villa by taxi past midnight . Some of our younger guests prefer to walk back by the beach. This would take only about 30 to 35 mins. This timing has been achieved and tested by many of our guests. Nobody has ever come back to say that it took him more than an hour walk from the bars. By walking fast for more than an hour, one would surely reach Beach Walk Mall and Discovery Mall in Kuta.

We have larger (superior) and smaller (standard) rooms. One has a choice when you booked.
Our bed linen are of good quality and newly supplied by Indo Linen – one ofthe top linen importers in Bali. If a staff had made an error by providing linen with permanent stains caused by massage oil, it does not mean all of our linen are stained. As ownee I would not like this to happen. But like all human being, our staff are not 100% pefect. They make errors. For sure, our staff are wonderful persons.

Villa Layang Bulan is a lovely and well maintained gay guest house. 50% of our guests are repeat guests – largely from Germany, Holland, France, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Philippines.
UK
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Edwin and his team make this place. Small villa with pool, gardens and clean rooms with attentive service. Although billed as clothing optional, there is no compulsion. Breakfast is great. Edwin organised for us to rent a car for 5 days (much against the advice of the Aussie guests in the villa!) We had a ball, visiting Northern Bali staying in Permuteran and diving on the Island of Menjangan which for intermediate/experienced divers (some quite impressive currents to cope with) is amazing! Driving is easy (compared to London!) navigation is challenging. Edwin also organised a day trip to Ubud, penelocan and loads of temples, coffee plantation... he paired us up with a German guest... we had one of the most memorable days of my trips to SE Asia. The gay bars are a MUST in Seminyak... beats the pants of London/Brighton for me... Balijoes rocks especially after midnight! Lovely Balinese people are a joy to get to know and love chatting. Thanks Edwin and team for an amazing hol. Daniel&Miles

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DandMtravel
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

When I booked my stay at Villa Layang Bulan, I would never dream of choosing such a good place. And I am, efter almost four weeks living there, so happy being able to give all my best recommendations to anyone who is searching for a good gayhotel. Edwin and his staff are all doing their very best to make you comfortable. For example, they organize various tours all over Bali, all in your taste. You can order almost any kind of food from their kitchen, and it is weelcooked, from the heart. During my stay at Villa Layang Bulan, I met so many nice guys from all over the world, and we had many happy days together. Every night, the staff offered us guests free transport to the gaybars, and I joined it always. Good fun! Never hesitate to choose Villa Layang Bulan, if you want to stay in good hands for a nice, relaxing holiday in Bali. // Jörgen Alm from Sweden.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Reslysten541
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerobokan
Bali Ginger Suites & Villa
Bali au Naturel
Bali au Naturel
#4 of 4 in Bondalem
Balinea Villa - Rooms & Spa

Been to Villa Layang Bulan? Share your experiences!