Villa Kayu Raja
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Abian Biu Mansion(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$38
US$37
Grand Balisani Suites(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$70
US$19
Kokonut Suites(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$62
Agoda.com
La Villa Mathis(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$105
  • Pool
The Lokha Umalas Villas & Spa(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$150
The Santai(Kerobokan)
US$596
US$342
Priceline
Putu Bali Villa and Spa(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$54
US$45
Agoda.com
The Adma Umalas(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$36
Agoda.com
The Green Zhurga Suites(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$26
US$25
All reviewsspa bathprivate poolseminyak squarecafe attachedroom servicecanggu clubpotato headscoopon dealbuffet breakfastegg stationpool waterair conditionedlounge roommonkey forestrestaurant staffstayed here for nightsfirst floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The staff are great, the accommodation is lovely and the location is great if you are not after the Kuta scene. All the good restaurants are within walking distance (metis, barbacoa,sardine, that Indonesian one , potato head and Seminyak is only 1.5kms away.
The pool is about 24 degrees C which is very cool but we braved it once. For $500 for 5 nights it was great but I wouldn't pay a lot more than that. The restaurant is poor but the massages are excellent,

Room Tip: Villa 6 is close to the Reception and recommended.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gustra D, Director of Sales at Villa Kayu Raja, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hi John J, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja...where the charms gather!
Firstly, I would like to express my sincerely thank you for staying with us recently. Your comments and inputs are really appreciated... We will use your valuable inputs to encourage our staffs by always providing a better products & services for our guests in the future. Regarding the Restaurant services, we will review it again. Thank you once again & should you stay again in the future, do not hesitate to contact us directly...and we will pleased to serve you again! Have a nice day & pleasant holiday !

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great place great location the private pool was great the breakfast was very good and all the staff are very friendly and helpful. The only thing I could suggest if they had milk for the coffee...............

1  Thank jaggperth

Hi Jaggperth, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja...where the charms gather!
Firstly, I would like to express my sincerely thank you for staying with us recently. Your comments and inputs are really appreciated... We will use your valuable inputs to encourage our staffs by always providing a better products & services for our guests in the future. Regarding the milk, yes we do have it.... all you have to do just ask the restaurant's staff to provide it. Thank you once again & should you stay again in the future, do not hesitate to contact us directly... Have a nice day & pleasant holiday with your beloved!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and myself recently spent 5 nights at Villa Kayu Raja for our honeymoon, this was my first trip to Bali and thanks to the fantastic friendly staff at Villa Kayu Raja I am hooked and can't wait to return.
The villas were fantastic with a very private pool and courtyard. The staff spray daily for insects and mosquito coils are used to keep mosquitos at bay. The rooms are serviced daily and all incidentals replaced, the rooms are very clean and comfortable.
The staff at villa Kayu Raja are very friendly and helpful, it is lovely to be greeted by all staff members each morning, they are happy to do anything to make sure your stay is a memorable one.
We hired a driver for the day to go to the volcano and other sites, we had a fantastic day with our driver taking us wherever we wanted to go and suggesting places that we may like to visit. we had a great time at the Bali zoo, getting the chance to hand feed the elephants. When we returned to the van our driver had gone out of his way to go and get bottles of water for our return.
The hotel offers a free shuttle service to shopping areas and beaches, this was great, you get dropped where you want to go and catch a cab back when you are done, very convienient.
The restaurant was fantastic and the quality of the food was great, steak cooked just the way I requested it (Blue).
On our final night we had a candle lit dinner by the pool, this was a 3 course meal with wine, we were waited on by restaurant staff, the evening was perfect and the price was awesome.
Without a doubt I would return to Bali and stay again at Villa Kayu Raja :)

Room Tip: We had room 27, we had a couple of resident Geckos' in the villa and bats at night roosting by the pool, as a nature lover I was happy with this but if you are not you may want to check this out when booking.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Jo-Dee K, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja...where the charms gather!
Firstly, I would like to express my sincerely thank you for staying with us recently. Your comments and inputs are really appreciated... We will use your valuable inputs to encourage our staffs by always providing a better products & services for our guests in the future. Thank you once again & should you stay again in the future, do not hesitate to contact us directly...and we will much happier to serve you guys again! Have a nice day & pleasant holiday with your beloved!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is great value for money. The staff are so friendly and really go out of their way to help you. The rooms are nice and a very good size. The lounge furniture is a bit basic and slightly worn, but apart from that the villas are great. The private plunge pool was so refreshing. Every evening the staff would come around to spray for bugs and light the mosquito repellent. I had a small problem with a banging sound in my room and after investigation it turned out to be the hot water system. This issue was fixed as soon as it was identified and we were offered massages as compensation. The hotel advertises massage services, and I think that if they just made a few adjustments they could really improve the overall experience. For example, we were laid down on our beds and the air conditioning was blasting down on us, the staff should think to adjust that, each room has a music system, by connecting an ipod playing some relaxing music it would become more of a spa like experience. Also, they should have either of brought massage beds where you can put your head over a hole or have an accessory to fit to the bed to make the massage more comfortable. Apart from the one piece of constructive feedback this really is an excellent place, great location surrounded by some of the nicest restaurants, really friendly staff and great value for money. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi TheBig RB, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja...where the charms gather!
Firstly, I would like to express my sincerely thank you for staying with us recently. Your comments and inputs are really appreciated... We will use your valuable inputs to encourage our staffs by always providing a better products & services for our guests in the future. I will brings the issues of Spa's / Massage equipment & Music system to our management concern...hopefully we could done it properly in the near future. Thank you once again & should you stay again in the future, do not hesitate to contact us directly... Have a nice day & pleasant holiday!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is probably the most difficult review I’ve written. Overall our stay here would have been ok but there were so many little things that went wrong it is hard to recommend the place despite what it has going for it. Having read the other reviews it seems the biggest issue comes when people are expecting this to be a luxury 5 star villa, which it most definitely is not! If you come with reasonable expectations for a 3.5 style place it is probably a good place (provided they deal with the rat issue). If you come expecting real luxury you will be disappointed (especially if you are a 5 star frequent traveller). I was travelling with a friend but I would have been really disappointed if this was a honeymoon or I was expecting real luxury. We stayed in two villas over the course of our stay and the comments below cover both.

Positives
The villas are similar to the posted photos just a little less luxurious in real life. The bedroom is large with glass separation (with curtain) to ensuite including large shower, gorgeous spa bath, double sink and toilet with bidet hose. The bedroom is on the top floor there are sliding doors that overlook the pool and look out on green trees. There is an inside lock on the bedroom as well which is handy. An in room safe, robes, rubber slippers (common in Indonesia) etc are provided. There is a small kitchen area with fridge and very basic mini bar. There is a stove top but no cooking utensils. Upstairs was air conditioned which was lovely and cool. The lounge is half open over the pool so is not air conditioned. Housekeeping was reliable. There are two TVs and a DVD player. Our deal came with in room massages, which were also very good. The buffet breakfast was ok. It was good for an average hotel and included an egg station as well as a limited number of Asian options and salad etc. Of particular note was the fact that the staff went out of their way to arrange gluten free bread from my friend. I was also very cautious with ice and the waiters were very willing to bring drinks without ice. The staff were lovely across the board. There is a nightly mosquito service where staff will light mosquito coils and spray the room. We had no problems with mosquitos at all. The pool is half outside (odd villas get sun) and half under the lounge room, which was a very clever design. It is nice to have a private pool but the set up with high walls meant we didn’t use it much because you feel a little closed in. There is a day bed (but ours in both villas were a bit dirty) but the area is very private so you could easily skinny dip (or whatever!) in complete privacy.

Negatives
The driver wasn’t there to meet me at the airport as prearranged. My friend was already at the villa so she called reception and they told her he had gone to the international terminal instead of domestic even though he had all the flight details including that I was flying from Surabaya. He arrived 15 min later. It wasn’t much of an issue but would have been a bit of a worry if I’d been on my own.

The housekeeping kept leaving our door almost shut but not fully shut so anyone could walk in (I think they just didn’t pull it to fully shut it). On three occasions we came back to find the room unlocked. Each time we spoke to reception staff and were assured it wouldn’t happen again and yet it did.

On the last morning the water in our villa stopped working entirely. I’m not sure if they had turned it off but when we called reception the water came back on in about 10 minutes. It was a bit frustrating as my friend was rushing to the airport and nearly didn’t get to shower.

The pool is private but there are very high walls around it (maybe 3 meters) so we felt a little closed in, especially since there was no decoration or anything on them. The pictures online have plants along the wall at the end of the pool, which would make a massive difference but these are only in the 2 bedroom units. The design also means noise carries as the villas are all adjoining. We were there off season so noise wasn’t an issue except for one night but I’m sure it would be an issue in high season.

Although the rooms were generally clean they were a bit run down (cracked tiles, lino etc). The floor is all fake wood linoleum, which may be good for the pool water but isn’t that nice. There is also large fake wood features in the living room and bedroom which just looks cheap and unattractive.

The biggest issue by far was I saw a rat in our bedroom!! It ran from under my bed right across the room so I got a good look at it. We immediately called reception. To the hotel’s credit staff came immediately but couldn’t see or catch the rat so they promptly moved us to a new villa, which we appreciated. But the new villa also must have had a rat because the next morning something had nibbled a banana. Then the next day some unopened chocolate had been nibbled (through the cardboard) the next morning. We called reception to notify them each time and each time staff came to investigate but they couldn’t find the rat. We were offered to move again but we figured since the rats were already in two villas that were a few villas apart there was probably an infestation and there was no point in moving again since we were checking out the next day. Hopefully they will fix this problem because the staff seemed well meaning and it was generally clean but if we weren’t leaving anyway I would definitely have had to move to a different set of villas.

Our second villa had small droppings under the tree. I thought they were from the rat and called reception twice to remove them. Staff came and it was cleaned quickly. They told me it was from a bat. This made sense as we did see some bats at night. The staff did well at cleaning it up but all the same it wasn’t very nice. I’m not sure what they can do to prevent that.

We constantly spoke to reception about all these issue throughout our stay and I completed the client feedback form listing the rat issue on the morning before I left so it could be read before I checked out that evening. Given the magnitude of the issues we faced particularly the rat I would have expected something offered as an apology (eg free dinner, massage or discount on the room) but nothing was offered. We didn’t really need anything but it would have been a nice symbol.

Things to note
The place is a little outside Seminyak. It is about a 20 min walk (but in the hot sun this is impossible) so you have to take a cab ($3 USD if you call one as there is a minimum charge) into Seminyak and home ($1 USD if you hail one). This didn’t bother us as it was still quite handy to lots of good locations but it did stop us just wandering out to do things. For example you had to catch a cab to get a cheap massage. (There is a place across the road but it is a lot more expensive than the ones in town around $35 USD instead of about $6).

We hired a driver for the day. He assured us we could fit all manner of things into our trip and said we should do Taneh Lot last at sunset. We followed his timings all day but didn’t get there till well after sunset so we missed seeing it. Granted there was some unexpected traffic from a religious festival but these are on a schedule so I think it would be possible to check that ahead of time. It was very disappointing and he just suggested we hire him again tomorrow.

Finally, my friend got the deal via Scoopon. It is the first time I’ve stayed anywhere via scoopon. The deal sounded amazing and including “butler service”. I thought it was too good to be true for the price and it was. It seems butler service just means room service is available. Given the other places nearby I don’t think the scoopon deal was that great.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms get sun on the pool. Even numbers get an extra roof top terrace but the sun is better. Request a room close to reception as it can be a bit of a walk to reception
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank TravellingAussieD

Hi Travelling AussieD, greeting from Villa Kayu Raja...where the charms gather!
Firstly, I would like to express my sincerely thank you for staying with us recently. Your comments and inputs are really appreciated... We will use your valuable inputs to encourage our staffs by always providing a better products & services for our guests in the future. We are deeply sorry that you've experienced unpleasant situation during stay at our villa. For sure, we are really concern about your opinions; Staff, rat issue & transportation arrangements. Especially for the Pets/insects control, actually we had hire pets & insect terminator/control for the villa, they regularly coming at least twice a week for maintain the situation... however It seem doesn't work well. I will pass this issue to our team & make sure that this kind of thing won't happen again in the future. Last but not least, thank you once again & should you stay again in the future, do not hesitate to contact us directly... Have a nice day & pleasant holiday!