“Good food, good ambience, bit expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mamasan
Ranked #10 of 192 Restaurants in Kerobokan
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Thai, Indonesian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
london
“Good food, good ambience, bit expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We ate here for lunch. The food was pretty good (but not exceptional, I didn't think, in the scheme of Bali restaurants, of which I have tried a few....).

The service was efficient and the waitress guided us around the menu to what she said were the most famous dishes (albeit we didn't think these were the best of the ones we ordered).

The place is nicely done out and has a god ambience as it's pretty busy so quite buzzy.

But I would say it's quite expensive for some of the dishes. The worst was my double macchiato to finish, which was, including tax and service, IDR 92k!! That's usd 8, or about five quid, for a double macchiato, and the most expensive one I have had anywhere in the world I think! (And it wasn't that great either...).

• Visited November 2013

• Thai first
Perth, Western Australia
“Lovely but expensive!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Our last night and we decided to go somewhere special. On a Saturday night I would recommend booking, we got there just after 8 and was told there would an hour wait, we could sit at the bar upstairs and have some drinks while we were waiting. I recommend sitting at the bar at some stage as they make your cocktails in front of you and explain what they're doing as they make them, a fun experience. The staff behind the bar are super friendly and chatty (almost too chatty). Cocktail prices are quite high for Bali, similar to Perth pub prices but with very little liquid in the glasses full of ice.
We only waited about half an hour in the end and were shown to a couch table. The tables are quite small, we ordered two mains, some vegetables and rice, we were struggling to fit it on our table with the drinks as well. I cannot eat food with a lot of spice and I was really struggling to find a dish with no chilli or little chilli in it. We got the pork ribs and they were scrummy, so was the rendang, but too hot for me.
Would recommend this as a special night out when you aren't afraid to spend a bit of money. I don't understand though why the windows upstairs weren't open? We could see a breeze blowing outside, but inside was still and hot, even more so when a couple of customers arrived and asked to have the one fan pointing in our direction (and three or four other tables) moved so it was only on them. When we stood up we realized there had been air blowing, but from behind and above our heads so we hadn't been able to feel it, so maybe a bit more thought into cooking the space or using the natural resources available to cool it.
Beautiful setting, friendly staff, thank you.

1 Thank MeriM
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Top restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Part of holidaying in Bali is trying so so many wonderful restaurants. Mamasan is definitely one I I would recommend. Great environment, lovely staff, top food. I recommend the vietnamese grilled mince pork wrapped in betel leaves and the dadeng balado which is the caramelized short rib beef. I didn't have dessert but finished off with a lovely vietnamese cappuccino.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank JLimo142
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“I now know what the fuss is all about”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

This is a Bali Must. You will need to book but do it. The aroma hits you when you enter the lovely restaurant. Upmarket for Bali but bloody fantastic. The food is generous and full of flavour. Service is brilliant. good aircon set at a comfortable temp.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark O
“A must visit in Bali!! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

This was my second time to Mamasan and my god it didn't dissapoint !! We started off with cocktails upstairs - P.I.M.P is one of my favorites! So delicious. Then the waiters kindly took us to our table. We then wanted to order 4 dishes plus rice to share between two because everything looked so good, but the waiter suggested two main meals plus a starter and rice was plenty (she was right) everything we had that night was to die for. We were so amazed with the quality of food and flavour. The service and staff were impeccable. I'm so surprised its number 10.. Should definitely be in the top 5. Thanks Mamasan, ill be back!