“Smokers Restaurant”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Perth, Australia
“Smokers Restaurant”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

If you love fine food, friendly service, then this could be your restaurant, but if you don't want to partake in heavy cigarette smoke whilst you pay for some of the higher priced food in Bali you could be very disappointed.

Oazia positions itself as a Vodka and Lobster specialty restaurant, but it should also promote itself as a haven for smokers and those who wish to enjoy 2nd hand smoke whilst eating.

The quality of the food, the interior design and the service levels all set this restaurant for a great dining experience in the Kerobokan - Seminyak area.

We were 2 people dining, my wife and I. On arrival there is a pretty young hostess elegantly dressed and we were quickly escorted to a table. The furniture is unique, comfortable and lavish. The decor of the bar is superb and looks very inviting to enjoy a Vodka Martini. I ordered the Mojito but it was quite weak on alcohol flavour and lacked that something special a Mojito should have.

The menu selection is small but offers a range of lobster dishes. The chef can certainly create beautiful tasting food and cook well. For starter my wife had the Foie Gras and I the Lobster salad. Both were excellent and my wife enjoyed the Foie so much she ordered it again as a 3rd course.

For mains we both ordered the Lobster Steak. The food presented well and was delicious. However the lobster tails were very different in size, my wife's was twice the size of mine, which suggests that the focus on detail was missing. In the main dish, the lobster meat appears to be cooked in the same way as the Starter so for 1/3 of the price, and the same size lobster portion, order the salad as a main.

We both then had a 3rd course, with my wife having a 2nd serve of the Foie and I the Lobster Risotto. The Lobster Risotto was plentiful in Lobster meat but was made on local Balinese Asian rice which appeared to have been pre boiled, so the texture was average.

For desert, we both enjoyed the Chocolate Strawberry cake which was excellent.

SMOKERS: the following the an explanation of the smoking situation. When we left the Restaurant at 9.30 it appeared that we were the only other dining guests in the restaurant. Earlier in the evening a group of six selected the table next to ours, but did not eat. The only problem was they all chain smoked, and half of them partook in the very strong Indonesian cigarettes. Later we learnt that one of these people was actually the owner and a regular in the restaurant. The smoke eventually become so thick and consistent that it very much detracted from the food and atmosphere. The Manager of the venue also smoked regularly. From this I can only assume that smoking is key feature of the restaurant whilst guests dine.

It would be a very good idea for this smallish and well decorated restaurant to encourage smokers to partake at the bar and not next to diners at tables.

If the smoking policy changes this could be a very popular venue.

• Visited March 2013