“Has a lot of unfulfilled potential”

Taman Rosani Hotel & Villa
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Kerobokan
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here recently for one week, and were disappointed with many elements of our stay.

First off, I give the staff credit for their efforts- you can tell that all the staff work really hard and make every attempt to help and accommodate to your needs. However, the language barrier made it very difficult as most of the staff spoke minimal English. It was just frustrating, because they would nod in agreement when you ask for something, but they really have no idea what you are talking about- so you end up waiting for what you asked for, and it never comes!! This happened to us multiple times.

The food at the restaurant- both the included breakfast and otherwise- were of very poor quality. We were extremely disappointed with the quality of the food here. On a number of occasions, several items on the menu were unavailable- so you end up only being able to get your 8th preference of menu item... which just seemed odd and annoying to us.

Whilst the location isn't central, it only costs around 14,000 RP with a taxi meter to get to the heart of Seminyak (granted that the cab driver doesn't take you some dodgy, roundabout way to charge you more- which happened to us a couple of times). The maximum you should ever pay is 20,000 RP to get to and from Seminyak Square.

The rooms were simple, but clean and adequate.

The pool area is beautiful.

Overall, this place has a lot of potential, but definitely needs improvement- especially in the kitchen. Improved English among the staff would also be a great help, or at least an awareness from the staff that it is better to acknowledge that you don't understand, instead of nodding in agreement when you have no idea what's going on.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Noosag

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I booked the hotel on the phone and asked a lot of questions especially regarding the location and the staff sounded really confused when I asked how far is the hotel from the airport which she ridiculously stated that she didn't know. Then I arrange for an airport pickup, the driver was right on time and very friendly/helpful, I asked him about Bali nightlife and he gave me a handful information of the popular spot in town. But he's the only staff that I could rely on, the rests were obviously inexperience. On the very first day right after I checked in, the bellboy took me to the wrong room twice! The housekeeping staffs opened my room while I was still asleep and I actually had put a 'do not disturb' sign on the front door (I had a rough hangover after a night of clubbing in Legian).

I got a room on the ground floor facing the swimming pool. The room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. There are two chairs and a table in front of the room, I love to sit on the chair facing the swimming pool while drinking beer. The dining room is spacious and open, I like to brought my laptop and surf the internet with the free wifi.

The location, though. Pretty far from the main street and to found a taxi nearby was pretty challenging, so I had to ask the receptionist to call a taxi. I booked a room for 1 week but I moved on the 3rd day.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We had a booking for one night on 31/12/13. I requested them to arrange an airport pickup; however they refused to help with a booking, but were willing to give me the taxi booking number. We checked it at 1:00 am on 1st Jan 2014. They provided a smaller room than the one we booked (we were too exhausted to argue after 12 hrs of travel) but the room was neat, tidy and had clean linen, and they charged us less (I think). However, they were no glasses or coffee mugs in the room. They were however helpful in organizing a breakfast box (toast and butter) as we had a blue express pickup to the harbour at 6:45 (breakfast starts at 7am). The checkin and checkout process was quick but service was generally lacking.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The positives:

The grounds are nice including the pool, the restaurant etc. The rooms are clean and quite nice. Housekeeping is efficient. The price is good.

The negatives:

Firstly our power went out 4 times and on the last time we called reception and they simply told us the technician had gone home. We were in the middle of a movie and felt like they expected us just to sit in the dark for the rest of night with no power and be ok with it...? We requested to change rooms and were given a room that was 3/4 of the size if not half the size and were made to pack all of our things in the dark whilst the staff waited looking very impatient. It made me feel extremely awkward as if I was the reason the power didn't work and was being insane for wanting to watch the tv??

I discussed the room change with the receptionist the next day and got a strong feeling she just didnt care. I'm not one to complain usually and just left the matter. I just wanted them to be aware of how we felt disadvantaged with no compensation or even a sincere apology.

Don't expect good food or service at the restaurant. There is one or two waiters who are efficient and should train everyone else. I felt sad for the staff at taman Rosani as I'm sure they are capable it just seems no one wanted to spend the time / money training them.

The whole service gave off that saving money vibe. In the room you are given one pillow each and one towel. If you would like a second be prepared to pay $15 us dollars or more.. What a joke.

Overall if you are happy with barely any service and to feel like you are a pariah at times stay here as the grounds are nice. But don't come here expecting to feel welcome and to receive any kind of service (unless you're lucky to get one of the two friendly/ trained waiters.. but even then the kitchen staff will mess your order up)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Drew B
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Arriving at Taman Rosani my friend and I had high hopes as the staff were friendly and our room was really spacious and clean. However our stay slowly started to become a joke as one thing after another went a bit wrong!

We decided to have our complimentary dinner on the first night. Our waiter spoke hardly any English and was struggling to understand simple things. The atmosphere and the way the waiter served us made it very awkward. First of all we tried to order a drink from the menu but he said no we were only allowed soft drink. Because there were two of us, we should have received two set menus, but to start he only brought out one entree (which had a hair in it). We then asked if we would be brought another as we were meant to receive two but he said no. As we were confused my friend had to go up to reception and ask what was going on and the lady said we should be getting a complimentary dinner each so she had to go tell the waiter. Finally we were brought two of each thing instead of one but by this stage we were a little frustrated as we were the only people in the restaurant and everything was taking so long to come out. And our ice cream was brought out at the same time as our main so by the time we got to it it was mostly melted :(

After dinner we went back to our room to relax and the power went out. We called reception and they fixed it almost immediately. However it happened three more times after this. We then requested to swap rooms. As we stood in the pitch black scrambling to pack up our belongings we asked the staff who had come to help us if we could use a torch as we couldn't see anything but he told us to use our phones to make light. Then when we were taken to our new room it was a lot smaller then our original one with a smaller TV and balcony. We were quite disappointed. The next day we went to complain but the lady at reception didn't seem to care.

The pool area was really nice however towels were not provided and there seemed to be a swim up bar set up which was not in action. The power in the hallways also went out.

Breakfast was not good. It was a choice from a set menu. We ordered the continental breakfast which ended up being white toast with butter and jam, coffee/tea and fresh fruit (but only a tiny bit). On the last day they said there was no fruit so we had to have fresh juice however the fresh juice was definitely more like fruit cordial. One morning I tried to have the American breakfast with eggs and bacon but they did not bring any bacon.

The icing on the cake was when we got locked outside on our balcony on our last night. Coming home from dinner late we went outside on our balcony to have a cigarette, closing the door behind us to prevent smoke from going into our room. When we went to open the door to go back inside it was locked. As it was late no one was around but we knew that the reception desk was not far from our balcony so we called for help hoping the staff there would hear. After a while nothing happened and we started to panic. Eventually a man on his balcony at the hotel next to us heard us and told us he would come to our hotel and tell the reception we were locked out. However when he arrived he stood at the bottom of our balcony and explained no one was at reception. Luckily he waited until someone did come and told them. We were then rescued. So just a tip - DON'T CLOSE THE DOOR IF YOU GO ON THE BALCONY BECAUSE THEY LOCK AUTOMATICALLY FROM THE INSIDE!

Overall I would say that Taman Rosani has the potential to be a great hotel but sadly did not make it. The hotel itself was nice and the staff were semi friendly but did not seem bothered about helping out and it was very hard to communicate with the waiters. We did not feel very welcome or in good hands. The breakfast was not something to look forward to and it was disappointing that there was no bar as it looked like it could have been a great place if the swim up bar was in action. Unfortunately I would not recommend Taman Rosani and would not go back :(

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ninya L
Reviewed 18 October 2013

What I loved about Taman Rosani is that our ground floor room led right to the pool! *pure bliss* The rooms are very comfortable with a well-stocked mini-bar. Help yourself to a Bintang or two - they are cheaper than what you would pay at restaurants.

The hotel is located in a lane, but a short walk to the main road and there are several restaurants and supermarkets to choose from. Also about a 10-15 minute walk away from the famous Potato Head Beach Club.

The breakfast at the hotel wasn't to die for - you'll get just the basics. What was upsetting was that on both mornings either fresh fruits or certain juices weren't available.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor lead directly to the pool!