La Villa Mathis
Plataran Canggu Resort & Spa(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$261
US$188
US$62
Grand Balisani Suites(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$78
Agoda.com
Villa Kayu Raja(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$126
The Santai(Kerobokan)
US$596
US$342
Priceline
The Lokha Umalas Villas & Spa(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$150
Agoda.com
The Adma Umalas(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$52
US$30
Agoda.com
Putu Bali Villa and Spa(Kerobokan)(Great Value!)
US$54
US$46
Agoda.com
All reviewsbalinese artboutique hoteltropical paradiseromantic settingswimming poolwonderful stayour honeymoonthe hustle and bustlebravoweddingconceptvillabintanseminyakviviserenitybathtub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Beautiful accommodation, our butl Ketut deserves 100 points. Pity management let us down we were confirmed for "complimentary" pick up and transfer back to airport. At time of departure it was included on the bill and ridiculously expensive. Not much around the hotel but with a taxi its close to Seminyak.
Next time its back Thailand instead.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
prizzo, Propriétaire at La Villa Mathis, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Dear Guest, I’m very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, just a small return about the transfer, I’m Very surprised of your remark, the Scoopon voucher you had includes massage, diner and day tour – but no airport transfers, it’s clearly written on your voucher. And we never confirmed that it will be free of charge. The price of the transfer is 13usd/person, so not really more expansive than with a taxi in a car much more comfortable with fresh towels and fresh water. Moreover, our purpose is not to be cheaper than the local taxis.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My partner and I celebrated our wedding at Villa Mathis in March with 35 people. We had booked 17 rooms and everything was perfect !
We spent a lot of time exchanging with the owner (Bruno) prior to our arrival. He was very patient and tried his best to accomodate all our requests, advised us on the food menu and organize all the transfers from the airport (people were coming from Singapore & HK with different flights)
We discovered the villas at night but it looked already amazing.
Our room was super big and had a beautiful view on the rice terraces. It was very cool to move around all the gardens and villas and have a chat with our friends during the day. Everyone was enjoying the pools and the gardens.
On the big day itself, the garden of our villa was beautifully decorated for our wedding ceremony and it was totally a surprise as we didn't request it. Thanks again !
Cocktail and dinner went good and smoothly even if a big storm started at the end of the dinner.
Staff was very nice and kept the bar opened for us 2 hours after the official close and it was really appreciated.
Big thanks again to Bruno & Lilka for making this event unforgettable to us, our friends and our family

Jeff & Anne-Paule

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Bruno-Villa-Mathis, Director of Sales at La Villa Mathis, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2017

“Thank you for choosing MATHIS Collection, as you know when you combine our 2 properties MATHIS Retreat Ubud and Villa MATHIS Umalas, enjoy the HAPPY MATHIS with FREE benefits:
For a minimum of 3 nights each: Transfer inter hotel, Massage of 60min facing the ricefields & Romantic candlelight dinner in our tropical gardens.
Other advantages for longer stays as cooking class, day tours, … -Do not hesitate to ask us!
Enjoy also our unique concept of LIBERTY PASS, Any night booked can be swapped, without fee, to another hotel of Mathis Collection. For a 100% Freedom on holidays!

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I just got back yesterday from spending 8 nights in villa mathis with my partner. We chose villa mathis based on a scoopon offer. After reading some of the other negative reviews on here I can understand some to a point but we both loved every minute of our stay in the villa.

The room we stayed in was close to the entrance, main pool and dining area which we found very convenient. My partner loved the large mirror in our room and we both thought the set up was great, I believe our room was the one that it is pictured on their website when you load up the page. The outdoor bathrooms were a nice concept to us which we enjoyed but I can see how some people might think otherwise. Villa Mathis rooms are surrounded by beautiful gardens and jungle so you should expect to find geckos, frogs and other insects around the gardens and sometimes in your outdoor bathroom. We understood and enjoyed this fact though as I liked seeing the wildlife and the geckos keep the mossies at bay! Negatives of the room were lack of hot water in the baths and shower (we gave up on trying to fill the bath) and a bar fridge would have been convenient.

The stand out feature for us at Villa Mathis was the staff, whatever we need whenever we needed it it was made available to us. Balinese people are lovely and the staff at villa mathis are a shining example of this, they always made sure are requests were attended too and I could not fault the service at all. The american breakfasts were more then enough to fill our bellies for the day ahead and the dinners and lunches we had were also great. Cons of the villa although minor and did not matter me much as was the murkiness of the main pool, i wasn't sure if this was part of the concept combining the garden's with the pool but there tended to be a lot of grime on the sides of the pool and some sections of the floor were black with dead plants i could barely see my feet looking down to the bottom which was less then 2m. Never the less i swam in it most days and it did not bother me too much.

By the end of our trip we did not want to leave and we would definately stay at villa mathis again, unfortunately our next holiday we will probably have to bring the kids which I would not recommend bringing to villa mathis as it is more suited to romance and relaxing.

Thanks for having us

Room Tip: Mini mart and great affordable massage within 5 minutes walk away
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I wasn't going to write this review; I was planning on cutting my losses and moving on, but I still look back on my time at Villa Mathis with few fond memories.

My husband and I stayed here with an Ouffer deal, and not sure but I felt that this was the reason our room was quite small and unimpressive. It certainly looked nothing like the rooms shown on the website, and it literally was just a room with a bed (and small desk, wardrobe) with an outdoor bathroom. There were none of the luxurious trimmings seen in the photos from the website.

Firstly, the air conditioning unit was far too small to adequately cool the space - remembering that this is in the tropical, hot Balinese climate! It was a 900 watt unit, my husband discovered, and to put that in context, in sunny Queensland Australia, I have a 2.6 KILO-watt unit to cool an office half the size. Not only that, but it was mounted on the wall beside the bed, right above the pillows, meaning air was blowing on our faces all night, (and really, you can't NOT have it running all night). A fridge in the room would have been useful to cool drinks, and there is no phone (which I guess is supposed to be part of the concept) so every time you need something you have to walk up to the reception.

There is no internet access in your room, which is fine - keeping in mind that concept - but you would be extremely lucky to be able to access the wi-fi anywhere else in the grounds either. We could connect perhaps 50% of the time. It is supposedly available in the communal areas of the villas and the restaurant.

2 traditional massages were included in the package. My husband used one on the first day and I asked for an aromatherapy one, but they were exactly the same, so be aware! Having read someone else's comments that said the same thing, I don't think the therapists know the difference!

Also the spa prices are about DOUBLE what they are advertised at on the website!! I was extremely disappointed about this. THE WEBSITE NEEDS TO BE UPDATED! Whilst the prices are still very reasonable, compared with Australia, I was all prepared to have some treatment every day, and then decided against it because of this. Spa treatments are much more reasonably priced in town.

At the start of our stay we booked a horse riding tour on our second last day. My husband is tall, dutch and weighs about 110kg - they breed them tall over there! :) Anyway, the shuttle arrived in the afternoon and the first thing the driver asked my husband was "How much do you weigh?" 80kg is the limit - and goodness, but I am nearly 80kg! So we couldn't go, but I felt that Villa Mathis should be aware of such rules considering the close-by riding stables are a tour that they promote and should communicate these details to their guests. When I went to tell the situation to the reception lady, she laughed and suggested I go by myself! I wasn't about to leave my husband all on his own while I went and had a nice time... So because of the time, and the disappointment, we didn't do anything that day. By then, I was just ready to leave.

There were other small things that bothered us about the stay, but I think the above spiel covers enough. We won't be back to Villa Mathis, and I won't be recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room in one of the villas that has a communal area would be nicer? Ours didn't have a common area, unless you count the main pool and restaurant.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank PrincessVoltron

Reviewed 16 March 2012

Villa Mathis is like a dream. The concept is original and perfect for couples who wish to stay in a location which is somewhat secluded but allows you access to all 4 pools. Each pool and villa is unique so each day it provided a new outlook and felt like a new hotel every time we wished to check out a new area!

The staff were super friendly and very attentive in trying to make sure all our needs were catered for! The owner also makes time to introduce himself and make sure you are happy with things.

The romantic dinners set up in the gardens were magical and we couldnt have asked for a nicer traditional dinner which was part of our Ouffer package. We also got a traditional massage which was lovely and very relaxing.

The room didnt have a tv but this did not bother us as added to the romance and we found ourselves highly enjoying watching DVD's in the villas areas they have set up for this purpose. The only thing I would recommend is a little fridge in the rooms to keep water/ drinks cool however we ended up going to make use of the communal villa areas. We enjoyed this concept alot as it gets you out of the room & the decor is stunning so we were happy to explore the amazing architecture and beautiful furniture!

I cannot fault this Villa, the experience we had or the staff! Cant wait to go back again!

Kira

Room Tip: The rooms with the library or outdoor baths are beautiful and I like the ones which were a little further away from Villas for more privacy :)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple