“A hidden paradise”
Review of La Villa Mathis

La Villa Mathis
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Kerobokan
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Villa Mathis is definitely one of the most unique hotels we’ve stay during our holiday in Indonesia. We would recommend this lovely boutique hotel to anyone.

The hotel location is perfect, not far away from the vibrant restaurant and bar scenes of Seminyak, yet the peaceful surroundings and the cleverly designed gardens provide that calm vacation mood and the privacy we need.

Rooms: each room is of different style and settings, we have a room on the first floor with a balcony facing the swimming pool and overlooking the rice field. The room is spacious and clean, richly decorated with local wooden artwork.

Common area: well-maintained and stylish, ideal for evening drink or daylight reading.

Restaurant: we were informed that we can have our dinner table arranged basically anywhere in the premises, and we did enjoyed our daily breakfast by the swimming pool. The local cuisine at the main restaurant is very fine, food nicely presented and very tasty. They have reasonable choices of wine, we had our first Balinese wine there.

Services: overall a very pleasant experience, the staffs are smiley and welcoming. Although there is no telephone in the room, our butler is just outside the villa, readily available at anytime. Unlike the standardized services in a 5* hotel, everyone at this small property gives a highly personalize service with sincere mind. Exactly what we are looking for when we chose a small boutique hotel anywhere we go – for warmth and true sense of hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruno-Villa-Mathis, Director of Sales at La Villa Mathis, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2017

“Thank you for choosing MATHIS Collection, as you know when you combine our 2 properties MATHIS Retreat Ubud and Villa MATHIS Umalas, enjoy the HAPPY MATHIS with FREE benefits:
For a minimum of 3 nights each: Transfer inter hotel, Massage of 60min facing the ricefields & Romantic candlelight dinner in our tropical gardens.
Other advantages for longer stays as cooking class, day tours, … -Do not hesitate to ask us!
Enjoy also our unique concept of LIBERTY PASS, Any night booked can be swapped, without fee, to another hotel of Mathis Collection. For a 100% Freedom on holidays!

Thank you for your confidence and see you soon in Paradise!”

MATHIS Collection Team

There are newer reviews for La Villa Mathis

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Beautiful Villa, very friendly staff, shuttle service to Seminyak sometimes confusing to non Villa Mathis staff, better communication from Reception staff could alleviate this minor problem. A small refrigerator in each room would be a bonus for hot travelers in the monsoon season, a Television in each villa would also be a bonus for those that wish to watch it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phillip763
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I can't recommend the Villa Mathis more highly.

We've just come back from a stay over Chinese New Year and I really thought it was paradise when we arrived.

The grounds are totally stunning, with the villas nestled around many different, beautiful open air swimming pools - the interior design is boutiquey and imaculately designed. The grounds' flowers and plants, ponds, lanterns and candles are gorgeous, day and night..

The service was also excellent - the team went out of their way to make you feel welcome, with thoughtful little touches, as well as going out of their way to ensure you were comfortable - no request was too much trouble.

Given the location about 5-10 mins outside Seminyak by taxi, the complex was peaceful and serene, yet (with cheap local transport) close enough to the buzzing bars / restaurants / beach of Seminyak to be really well placed.

Swimming pools lovely, food and cocktails delicious, afternoon tea chilling on the cushions / sofas surrounding the pools decadent - the whole experience was a complete treat. Thank-you very much Villa Mathis...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Beautiful Villa delivering both private and luxury feelings in Kerobokan, quiet and relaxing area away from the busy Kuta but not too far from Petitenguet (Seminyak) one of the trendiest spot on the island for dining and nighlife. Good concept with the privatisation's of the Villas and the fact that each of them as a different design and caractere. Gardens are well garnished and maintained.

We definitely enjoyed our stay here and would recommend the Villa Mathis to anyone !

Room Tip: Stayed at the Maison Rouge and enjoyed it. Though the other Villas also looked great
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2013

An amazing piece of paradise! You could not want for anything at villa Mathis. The accommodation is exceptional, and the gardens are surely from Eden. The staff are extremely attentive and friendly, and the food is diverse and delicious. The only bad thing about Mathis is having to leave, but I know we will be back!
Thanks to Pierre and all the team!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Hi Bruno,

Would just like to touch base with you and let you know that our stay at Villa Mathis was the most beautiful, relaxing and wonderful travelling experience that I have ever had. Not that I’m widely travelled but I have stayed in a couple of 5 Star Resorts throughout Thailand, Singapore and Bali.

Not that I was looking… but, I could not find a single fault with anything. Your staff were the most beautiful attentive staff “ALL THE TIME” that I have ever came across and couldn’t do enough for us. The villa’s were decadent, the food magnifico, the wonderfully placed Balinese art, furniture and antique pieces were perfect, and the surrounds …. Well to be honest, I’m lost for words.

Thank you … Thank you … Thank you, for allowing me (and my daughter) to experience such a beautiful piece of heaven in the ‘Island of the Gods’.

Now, I just got to find a partner to experience it with me too!

Room Tip: All the villas have their own uniqueness... I stayed in Maison Rouge ... Perfect!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Disclaimer: this is my first review on tripadvisor. I usually do not comment, regardless of a great stay or a less than pleasurable one. However, this stay was particularly bad, such that I feel I need to warn people of what they are getting into.

I stayed in the villa in late oct 2012 for 3 days. After my wedding in Jakarta, I had hoped to enjoy a few days of celebrating and relaxation at this villa which I chose because I could get 9 villas in close proximity to each other. We did get 9 villas close to each other, but pretty much everything else was negative.

THE GOOD
- The common areas were spacious
- The pantry has ample refrigerator/cooler space

THE BAD
- OLD:
I do not know how old the villa is, but from the dilapidated furniture and the untended jungle of plants which they use to line the walking paths, I assume that it is at least 20 unmaintained years old.
- THEFT:
Incident 1: A shirt and shorts left pool side under a hotel towel disappeared, presumably because the staff did not realize there were clothes underneath. I asked the staff to check on the clothes, but they never got back to me. So I followed up with the manager(?), Wilfred, and he also did not get back to me. The next day, upon further inquiry, Wilfred simply shrugged the following response, "If the staff had found the clothes, they would have returned it already".

Incident 2: I accidentally left a pair of sneakers in our room after checking out. From the airport, about to board my airplane, I called to ask whether someone had found the sneakers. To my relief, the cleaning staff had turned in the shoes to security, where they promised they would keep it until I could return to pick it up. A few weeks later, I was back in bali, so I called the villa where they confirmed they still had the shoes, and apparently they had "lost" the shoes.

- CHARGED FOR A BROKEN CHAIR:
As mentioned earlier, the villa appears to be old, as is the furniture. A friend was lying on a pool chair, when it broke. I was charged USD 250 for the chair. I later found out from a different friend that the chairs were all "creaking".

- DIRTY:
Our room was dusty, the furniture cushions were damp and had some stains. Around the bed was a curtain which was dusty. The private pantry was dirty with chipped ceramic and a discolored sink.

- UNDEPENDABLE WIFI:
Would go on and off sporadically, mostly off, and slow even when it was on

- SLOW/UNRESPONSIVE SERVICE:
Would take half an hour to deliver a drink. Often the staff was nowhere to be found, and when they were, they were unresponsive.

TAKEAWAY
Bali has many amazing accommodations, there are MANY alternatives to this villa. I read that alot of people have enjoyed staying at this villa, so take my experience with a grain of salt. Service is debatable depending on each individual's standards. However, theft is a deal breaker in my books. Potential guests, beware.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank edjakarta
prizzo, Propriétaire at La Villa Mathis, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

Dear Guest,

I regret that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us, even if with a group of around 20 people, we had NO complains during their stay. So I’m not sure this is the feeling of all the guests of your group, but mostly your opinion turning to a very bad experience, motivated by the fact that you lost your sneakers (value of 2 USD). I deeply regret that because of this matter you write all kind of bad words unexpected , where Villa Mathis is responsible – The process ask to give us back directly the items lost by the clients to us, unfortunately we were out and the staff leave to one of our security – Jacob a very good guy, very honest, unfortunately, as the process as not respected in this case, after few weeks, we were not able to find back your shoes – so we are totally agree that we are responsible of the lost – But I’m really not agree when you treat all our staff of thefts, we are running nearly 8 year and if we had this kind of problems, we will have direct actions against it, and, for sure you will find it mentioned regularly on this website……….you can easily read that it’s not the case. About the remarks of wild garden and old woods, Bali is full of modern and minimalist places with no charm, very small and poor gardens, all concrete and roofs in tiles – closed bathrooms as in city’s apartments. Here we have more than 1 hectare of tropical and wild gardens (full of birds and butterflies), alang alang roofs, antique and all chairs and tables are in teak and all kind of woods, mostly coming from Java and Sumatra. As Indonesian citizen, you have to be more sensible to the fact that properties like us respect the traditions and the handicraft of your beautiful country to try to bring our guests to a different atmosphere where they will be able to have a really exotic feeling – may be in the future when you will travelling more, you will understand it..but now it seems that your lack of travelling brings you to tell such things to very friendly and helpful staff, and make you think that antique and old are the same word…

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerobokan
Kokonut Suites
The Santai
The Santai
#5 of 35 in Kerobokan
ibis Styles Bali Petitenget

Been to La Villa Mathis? Share your experiences!