“Look no further, THE place to stay on Bali”
Review of La Villa Mathis

La Villa Mathis
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Kerobokan
Reviewed 19 May 2014

What an experience, the wonderful welcome extended to me by Bruno and his family (the owners) and from the staff, continued throughout my stay truly making me feel at home. They couldn't do enough for me, being English regular cups of tea are important, Bruno noticed this detail and without a word tea was set for me in my room, really I couldn't want for anything the level of care and attention was so high.

The location of Villa Mathis is perfect, far enough out for peace and quiet but near enough for trips in to Seminyak or the beaches of Legian and Kuta to be just a short 10minute ride away.

The peaceful ambience of Villa Mathis was wonderful to return to after days out in busy Bali, all the villas (rooms) are spaciously set amongst the tropical gardens which guarantees peace, quiet and privacy...actually it is that spacious that for the first day I got lost wandering the gardens looking for my room!

The highlights for me of Villa Mathis, the warmth of the owners, Bruno and Lilka, the warmth of the staff. the homely atmosphere, the gardens, the space and the overall serenity of the experience...a truly wonderful stay. Thank-you to Bruno. Lilka and team Villa Mathis.

Room Tip: I stayed in 'Java' villa, a lovely room, but took a sneaky look at the Red Villa, absolutely...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I love the location of the hotel, it is not too far from the shopping area but at the same time has a unique privacy allocation of space. You will feel like you are all alone in your villa area. The breakfast is served near your room and the variety is great. The local fruits are very yummy and Nasi Goren for the breakfast was excellent. One thing though - the pool edge and steps is quite slippery.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Lovely hotel nestled in a large and romantic garden tucked away from the noise of Semynyak yet just short cab ride away for those who love the action. Composed of several magnificently decorated villas, the property offers several swimming pools with different atmospheres and large areas that ensure that you can spend nice and relaxed holidays far away from the crowd. With its staff attentive to service and great spa, this is the perfect address in Bali.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Villa Mathis is a gem - stylish, elegant charming and with the most caring and charming staff. A great and hard-working team who leave no stone unturned to ensure guests every need is anticipated and delivered unobtrusively. Delicious food is served at all times in a range of stunning garden settings that can be transformed into a theatrical wonderland for parties and events.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Villa Mathis is a member of Secret Retreats. I like the concept of this boutique resort. They have different villas in which each villa has 4-5 guestrooms to share the facilities like pool, living area, and dining area. This make the me feel so private and exclusive staying here. The villa and room is very spacious with different beautiful and comfortable corners where I can have a deep relaxation during my stay:) I was in Bali twice...and every time I'm there... I don't wanna miss to stay at Villa Mathis :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our friends had booked out the entire place for a week for a wedding and I must say the grounds and rooms were lovely. We paid $175 AUD per night with breakfast included.
The food was not great as it as catered to westerners and was quite pricey. Instead we decided to seek out some good authentic food and avoid eating in.
My biggest disappointment was that on the second night whilst our whole party and left for an outside event, staff had entered the room and helped themselves to half of the money that had been left in a bag and also a few beers. It was 710,000 rupiah.
Following this incident is when our experience all went down hill.
Upon approaching staff to tell them our story we were told we were wrong and we were laughed at.
The next day we told the owner who also told us we were the ones in the wrong for not using the safe (the staff have a master key so it defeats the purpose of hiding from their staff). She proceeded to say her staff were all trustworthy and this is reflected by her GREAT TripAdvisor review.5
This was irrelevant to myself, it was the principle that someone had let themselves into our LOCKED room and helped themselves to things, obviously thinking that by not taking all of the money that we as stupid westerners wouldn't notice.
We spent 5 hours of our day at the police station filling one form due to their lack of English and then they wouldn't do anything because we hadn't paid them a bribe.
All in all after many back in forth heated discussions with the owner and their other lazy duty manager we finally got $50 USD off our bill.
Seriously could have nipped it in the bud from the get go to avoid a very stressful and negative stay. Even on the last day when we requested a 5pm taxi earlier in the day we were told they had not booked and ended up waiting around for 40 minutes.
If you have loads of time and patience to waste, book here. Otherwise plenty of cheaper places around.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank beckssince1987
prizzo, Propriétaire at La Villa Mathis, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

First of all I’m very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the property. About the issue that you mentioned, nobody was able to find any proof that the money disappeared . I just want to repeat that everywhere in the world even in the best world hotels you have I each room a safe and it’s exactly for the same reason in Europe, America or Asia – put your valuables in a safety place. So everywhere you go, it’s necessary to leave your money in your safe or with you but not on the coffee table during few days. We never get this kind of problem in 9 years and with the experience most of the cases are the clients spent more than they thought the night before (sometimes to many alcohol) or they went to a fake money changer where you sure to loose few bank notes by manipulation (I went 2 weeks ago with a client in Seminyak, I shout 1 minute and they refund him)or they did with purpose to get a reaction or a refund from the hotel – we get few times the case already.
Last week during a large venue around midnight, one client lost his mobile on the table amongst 100 guests in the darkness…he completely destroyed our staff by blaming them without any doubt and ready to fight with them– after it’ s very difficult for us to ask to them to make extra time for the pleasure of our guests when they get such terrific attitude – the client even called me at 01.00 am when I was sleeping to insult me by phone during 30 min ………finally we found the mobile in his room in the morning…………It’s so easy to blame on a systematic way the hotel where you stay…and forget all the dangers of outside, we have daily to assume all these situation, not easy!
Despite all these situation and in your case, I remembered that we gave you free massage and we refund to you the amount that you lost – before leaving you told to Lilka that she was a princess y the way she solved the problem, it seems that you don’t have the same gentle attitude and forget easily all the things we did for you….I won’t be surprised that you forget where in reality you spent this money instead of putting all the responsibility on us,

So is it a “NO Customer experience as you claimed in your title??

A real pity!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

When arriving to Bali for the first time I was literally blown away by the beauty of Villa Mathis. From entering the well kept gardens, I was led to the bar where I was welcomed with a refreshing drink and a chat by the friendly staff. I was further surprised when led around the grounds to see the different pools and ending up at the beautiful, beautiful villa. The first thing I wanted to do was take pictures of everything and show them off to my friends back home; the bedroom, which looked like a luxurious treehouse room, to the outside bathtub, to the walk-in closet… Everything was so well placed with such detail! The owners are so friendly and accommodating and I could feel they have put their heart and soul into their place. I was introduced to their two sons as well, Mathis and Ilan who were both very polite and well-mannered. I had an amazing experience staying there and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Diane-JaneE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerobokan
Kokonut Suites
Villa Kayu Raja
Villa Kayu Raja
#7 of 35 in Kerobokan
THE HAVEN SUITES Bali Berawa

Been to La Villa Mathis? Share your experiences!